PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Docky and Gnome Do: UI Customization

Herazio
July 22nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Hello dear members,

This year in college I've had the liberty to be learning about Linux. This was mostly in the shell so a lot of GUI applications we didn't use. The fun part of this all is that once you know how to work in Bash. Linux isn't all so frightening and confusing anymore !

So I've decided to finally take the shot on switching from Windows to Ubuntu Desktop and I must say I'm quite amazed with the customization you can do in Ubuntu.

I just installed Docky and I installed Gnome Do. Now it has come to my attention that Gnome Do can integrate with Docky however I do have a small question concerning the customization of the Dock bar. In Gnome Do I would really like to have the panel look from Docky and I was wondering if this is possible. To me it seems that it's only possible to use the 3D look which looks a lot like Mac OSx. I'm aiming for a bit of a Windows 7 interface however.

Thank you kindly for your response and I hope to hear from you !

Mr_VeRiTy
July 22nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
If you want a windows 7 look then use dockbarx in your gnome panel, you can get themes that look just like windows 7 get it here http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/DockbarX?content=101604 (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/DockbarX?content=101604)

Herazio
July 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
My word, they seriously have just about everything ! Thanks so very much !

themusicalduck
July 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
If you go to Docky settings I think there is a Panel Mode checkbox on the first tab.

It might be only on the development version though. You can get the PPA with
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/ppa

The development version is fairly stable, it does crash occasionally though.

edit: it might also be in the docky stable PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/stable which is a slightly older version than in the dev but newer than in the repositories.

Herazio
July 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
If you go to Docky settings I think there is a Panel Mode checkbox on the first tab.

It might be only on the development version though. You can get the PPA with
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/ppaThe development version is fairly stable, it does crash occasionally though.

edit: it might also be in the docky stable PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/stable which is a slightly older version than in the dev but newer than in the repositories.

Thanks much ! I think I'm gonna give both a whirl ! It's all very enjoyable ^^.

fabounet
July 23rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
you can also try Kupfer, faster and quite similar to Gnome-Do.

Herazio
July 24th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Also thank you for your kind reply ! I'll put the topic as Solved.

Thanks a lot community !

Herazio

EDIT:

I just realized that I have no clue how I put a thread as solved :p sorry !

hrickh
September 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
As someone who recently switched from Do to Kupfer, I can only agree.

Kupfer isn't as pretty as Do, but it's pretty quick, and you can remove the window decorations, if you like.

I will say, however, that it took me quite a while to wrap my head around the way text is entered/searched. I live in Tomboy, so I am aways searching through notes or entering new ones.

It was frustrating trying to find the equivalent to "New Tomboy..." or "Search Tomboy...". Kupfer's "." for free text entry/search works nicely, it just was not at all intuitive.

R.
==