PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't put boot loader on new Ubuntu partition

corona79
July 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
I am tying to add Ubuntu 10.04 desktop i386 to my Windows 7 PC. I do not want to mess with the Windows boot loader, so as the sentence from the guide at the bottom states, tried to put GRUB onto the newly created partition for Ubuntu. I could not because upon choosing the device (which turned out to /dev/sda5) , the "OK" button was disabled :sad:

"Manual" option was chosen above - on a second try, I chose "use all available free space" and Ubuntu created #5 and #6 on SCSI1 (0, 0, 0). The new device was /dev-sda-1, but again, Ubuntu would not put the boot loader on it.

"If you have a problem with changing the MBR code, you might prefer to just install the code for pointing to GRUB to the first sector of your Ubuntu partition instead."

How?

stlsaint
July 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
View the Grub2 link in my sig to see the official grub2 doc which will show how to install grub in various ways.

kansasnoob
July 22nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
I am tying to add Ubuntu 10.04 desktop i386 to my Windows 7 PC. I do not want to mess with the Windows boot loader, so as the sentence from the guide at the bottom states, tried to put GRUB onto the newly created partition for Ubuntu. I could not because upon choosing the device (which turned out to /dev/sda5) , the "OK" button was disabled :sad:

"Manual" option was chosen above - on a second try, I chose "use all available free space" and Ubuntu created #5 and #6 on SCSI1 (0, 0, 0). The new device was /dev-sda-1, but again, Ubuntu would not put the boot loader on it.

"If you have a problem with changing the MBR code, you might prefer to just install the code for pointing to GRUB to the first sector of your Ubuntu partition instead."

How?

do not [/B]want to mess with the Windows boot loader

One way or another you must! You could use Easy BCD, but even that amounts to "messing with" the bootloader.

The new device was /dev-sda-1, but again, Ubuntu would not put the boot loader on it.

It's very doubtful that Ubuntu would be on sda1!

I'm somewhat unsure what your intentions are. You said:

as the sentence from the guide at the bottom states, tried to put GRUB onto the newly created partition for Ubuntu

I see no link to any guide????????????????

corona79
July 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
The sentence is from the dual-boot guide at ubuntu.com (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot).
I know about EasyBCD, and that's what I wanted to use, but it serves no purpose unless the Ubuntu installer behaves nicely, which it does not. :mad:

To say that the instructions for putting GRUB elsewhere failed is the understatement of the miillenium.
](*,)

Given that Ubuntu is supposed to be an especially easy to use Linux distribution,
why is it so hard to set up a dual-boot system on a Windows PC?