PDA

View Full Version : For those who doubt about The power of linux Ubuntu

jayanramesh
July 22nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hey to each & every New comers

Few of the new comers after having tried for a little time leaving the impression ubuntu is like any old crone without knowing her real potential and power.The Ubuntu Linux is the one of the most powerful operating systems available for free on Earth with highly customizable Desktops as Gnome and KDE.Once anyone starts digging profound with perseverance and diligent endeavor they never turn back-I dare say.Windows is not our competitor or rival for just windows is not eligible for semi-final.My attachments are the proof to decide anyone in this cosmos how my beautiful lady glitters - and freedom of doing anything you love to do without any walls and encumbrance.

Thank you

By Lover of Linux Ubuntu

philinux
July 22nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Moved to Cafe.

PuddingKnife
July 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I would say that Windows is nearly just as customizable, but yea, Linux is pretty awesome in that department.

Its really OSX that doesn't make it to the semi-finals ;)

Pogeymanz
July 22nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
I would say that Windows is nearly just as customizable, but yea, Linux is pretty awesome in that department.

Its really OSX that doesn't make it to the semi-finals ;)

When it comes to what appears in a screenshot, yes. When it comes to how it functions, Windows isn't even close to customizable. Having the words "customize" and "Windows" or "OSX" in the same sentence is laughable.

PuddingKnife
July 22nd, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hmm, that's what I thought we were talking about: what appears in the screen shot.

Swagman
July 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Love the music player... XMMS skinned ?

neoargon
July 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Wasted time

jayanramesh
July 22nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Dear Swagman,

YEs, its audacous player - skinned

AlphaLexman
July 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
How did you get VUmeter to work with audacious? I only can only use it with xmms!

Simian Man
July 22nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
No offence, but those have got to be some of the ulgliest desktops I have ever seen.

I think that Windows purposefully doesn't provide an easy way to customize the desktop to the extent Linux does so that users will always feel comfortable sitting down at a new computer. If most Windows users sat down at that monstrosity you posted, they'd be utterly lost.

This is why Linux is better for those who like to play with their computers and Windows is better for those who don't.

jayanramesh
July 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Dear AlphaLexman,

Please follow this link

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/VUmeter+plugin+1.0.0+beta?content=120568

AlphaLexman
July 22nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Thks, my version was much older.

Linye
July 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
If most Windows users sat down at that monstrosity you posted, they'd be utterly lost.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. lol

Of course they would be lost! That his desktop customized to HIS taste, not to some windows user. duh!!!

BuffaloX
July 23rd, 2010, 12:56 AM
That's actually pretty cool. =D>

Now all we need is a 3D Conky.:D

Telengard C64
July 23rd, 2010, 01:17 AM
That his desktop customized to HIS taste, not to some windows user. duh!!!

^ QFT

Very impressive. Such a fancy desktop does not suit my needs, so I keep everything very simple and toned down. I do think it might be fun to play with such customization though :)

Timmer1240
July 23rd, 2010, 01:18 AM
Awesome desktop very creative looks nice!It is what you make it to be possibilitys are endless!

sdowney717
July 23rd, 2010, 02:00 AM
nice desktop.
I find for me I never use the desktop for much at all.
Mostly just a browser window or the file manager. My desktop is a cluttered mess of links and files and screenshots

Little Bones
July 23rd, 2010, 03:43 AM
No offence, but those have got to be some of the ulgliest desktops I have ever seen.

I think that Windows purposefully doesn't provide an easy way to customize the desktop to the extent Linux does so that users will always feel comfortable sitting down at a new computer. If most Windows users sat down at that monstrosity you posted, they'd be utterly lost.

This is why Linux is better for those who like to play with their computers and Windows is better for those who don't.

Pretty well.

Dustin2128
July 23rd, 2010, 04:12 AM
I really liked some of those, the DS9 in the center of the sphere was an excellent touch- how do you do that?

jayanramesh
July 23rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Dear Dustin2128,

Thank you so much.It's done - compiz with Cube 3D models enabled.

jayanramesh
July 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
Dear neoargon,
Wasted Time,YA? Thank you and I appreciate you for not wasting yours.

neoargon
July 23rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Hey Jayan, almost everybody in this forum know the potential of linux . It's the outsiders who don't know . Please post this in a blog if you have one .

lancest
July 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
I think that Windows purposefully doesn't provide an easy way to customize the desktop to the extent Linux does so that users will always feel comfortable sitting down at a new computer.

You know what you're getting -like a McDonald's hamburger.

Stancel
July 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
How is this a good thing to have so much screenlet clutter?

I am fine with my (minimally customized) Ubuntu desktop. While I don't know how to try out the cube, I did the desktop effects and found them incredibly annoying. I don't think my windows should act like jello.

Dockbars are irritating. I don't want them to constantly pop up when I'm NOT trying to click on them, but something else. If I need to quickly get to something I could use the desktop or the panel.

I tried GnoMenu for a more Windows-style panel but it is too buggy.

I found that just changing to a nicer font (URW Gothic L Book) helped greatly improve the look and feel.

and yeah, it's the default Ubuntu 9.10 wallpaper but I really can't choose a good wallpaper that I really like, so I just leave it at that just like how many Windows users use the default wallpaper as well (not saying I am boring, I just don't have the time to constantly sift through thousands of wallpapers on Gnome-Look or other wallpaper sites.

Dustin2128
July 24th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Dear Dustin2128,

Thank you so much.It's done - compiz with Cube 3D models enabled.

how do you enable cube 3D models, can't find it in compiz config settings manager.

jayanramesh
July 24th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Dear neoargon,
Thank you MASTER.I will try to do that as what you said- sage!

jayanramesh
July 24th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Dear Dustin2128,

Add compiz through ppa.

clanky
July 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM
If the power of Linux is in it's ability to produce cluttered desktops and spinning cubes then we might as well all give up and go home now.

kaldor
July 24th, 2010, 02:30 PM

I've always thought of it from a tech support point of view. OS X and Windows are commercial, so they need to provide support.

Think of someone troubleshooting on the phone.

Windows XP:

-Can you click on the start button? Yeah, the big green button on the bottom left.

OS X:

Click on the Apple menu for me, it's on the top left.

Ubuntu:

Are you using GNOME or KDE? Click on System. Not there? What's on your top panel? You don't have a top panel? Well... (and so on)

neu5eeCh
July 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM
When it comes to what appears in a screenshot, yes. When it comes to how it functions, Windows isn't even close to customizable. Having the words "customize" and "Windows" or "OSX" in the same sentence is laughable.

When it comes to what appears, you can't do it in Windows without $$$.

That is, there's lots of third party eye-candy, but it most of it (or the best of it) isn't free.

sataris
August 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Late to the party but um...Lemme chime in here. where to start.

So yeah, Win 2000/98/NT/ETC and old versions of Mac OS were not customizable. But if you actually look at anything made after Y2K, the customisation of both Win and Mac has went through the roof. Bashing other OS's accomplishes nothing, especially if statements made are blatantly false/fud. Such statements make me, along with many other users:lolflag:.

Moving back to original topic, the amount of choices for customization in linux is extreme. Just wish more choices worked as stated. *sigh*

slackthumbz
August 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Biggest problem with a lot of desktops I've seen lately is clutter. This goes for Windows, Linux and Macs. Just looking at the OPs screenshots made me cringe but they're no better or worse than a lot of Vista/Win 7 desktops that I've seen.

Obviously this is just my opinion but I've developed a real dislike for screenlets. They just seem to waste screen real estate and rarely provide anything you couldn't do with a decently mapped set of keyboard shortcuts. Having said that I do think the overall usability of the default gnome desktop in ubuntu is better than OS X or Windows. I've set up ubuntu on a number of my non-technical friends machines and they've had no problems adjusting to it.

But just to show that I'm not above tweaking my desktop to my needs, here's how I do things (yes I absolutely <3 the CLI)

Frogs Hair
August 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I used to be interested in Conky and had Info Panel installed , but honestly my computer seldom works hard enough to warrant a full time desktop system monitor. For random checks I use nmon from the terminal or open the Gnome system monitor.

Austin25
August 17th, 2010, 08:15 PM
...Ctrl+Alt+F1, but to undo Ctrl+Alt+F7.

PSioNiC STRaNGLeR
August 17th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Are you kidding me? Those were beautiful. I bought a condo this past april and the first night i ordered out some supper but i had to go downstairs to let the driver in as the buzzer wasn't connected yet. Anyway, as i pay the driver and walk into the elevator, some guy looks at the name of the restaurant and says to me, "You ordered from there...that place sucks...but i guess somethings got to be good." I smiled and walk off the elevator when it came to my floor. WAS THAT YOU??????

Legendary_Bibo
August 18th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Biggest problem with a lot of desktops I've seen lately is clutter. This goes for Windows, Linux and Macs. Just looking at the OPs screenshots made me cringe but they're no better or worse than a lot of Vista/Win 7 desktops that I've seen.

Obviously this is just my opinion but I've developed a real dislike for screenlets. They just seem to waste screen real estate and rarely provide anything you couldn't do with a decently mapped set of keyboard shortcuts. Having said that I do think the overall usability of the default gnome desktop in ubuntu is better than OS X or Windows. I've set up ubuntu on a number of my non-technical friends machines and they've had no problems adjusting to it.

But just to show that I'm not above tweaking my desktop to my needs, here's how I do things (yes I absolutely <3 the CLI)

I have 6 shortcuts on my desktop, which is fine I guess considering I don't really use it. I'm considering having compiz render my desktop so I can multiple wallpapers, but I leave it like this for when my mom uses my computer. I should change my gnomenu button. To me it looks purty, to her she doesn't know what it's for.

I like to keep things colorful. My sphere caps are a rainbow gradient, and I have a cloud animated skydome.

cloyd
August 18th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Really, the Compiz cube is cool. I love it. I'm always showing it off to folks who haven't heard about Linux or Ubuntu. Other than being able to open multiple desktops (and you can do that w/o Compiz), I guess it is useless unless fun is useful. But really, the multiple desktops enable one to have many applications open w/o clutter. I'm a clutter-holic, and multiple desktops help. And they are impressive. If not impressive, fun. I never had such fun with windows.

As for Docky, sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.

Conky . . . by being able to monitor my download speed, processor temperature, cpu usage and what precesses are running, I get a good handle on how well a program works, and how my machine is doing. When an application eats up a lot of memory, uses massive amounts of resources, or heats up the processor unnecessarily, I can look for a better application. Conky is the best thing since sliced bread.

Legendary_Bibo
August 18th, 2010, 01:12 AM
OMG! I just discovered Compiz 3d models!!!

I tried a toon pack but for some reason I could untar it. Might be a bad download. So right now I have the space station sitting on my sphere, EVE floating around, and a bunch of these yellow balls bouncing around. I'll have to look into them more. Are there issues with these plugins? It says they're unsupported so I don't know if that means they have problems or something.

Also Bubbles!!! (Elements :) )

I had to turn it off because it was a huge drain on my CPU though. Oh well.

murderslastcrow
August 18th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Hahahaha. Yeah, compiz is always nice, but after a while it'll probably be something that's just normal to you and really cool for outsiders. I mean, the fact that I'm so used to it baffles some people and makes them all the more interested in it. "Wait, this kind of awesomeness is just normal for him- what else could I be missing out on?"

But really, it's the customizability of the functionality in Linux that really takes the cake. You always have options, and it's tailored to you specifically. Ubuntu's great since it applies well to the majority of home users without confusing them, but you can make it as simple or confusing as you want. XD

But really, some people turn off compositing altogether because they don't care about the looks after a while. So long as it doesn't hurt to look at, most people are fine- heck, look at all the people still using Windows XP!

Austin25
August 18th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Hahahaha. Yeah, compiz is always nice, but after a while it'll probably be something that's just normal to you and really cool for outsiders. I mean, the fact that I'm so used to it baffles some people and makes them all the more interested in it. "Wait, this kind of awesomeness is just normal for him- what else could I be missing out on?"

But really, it's the customizability of the functionality in Linux that really takes the cake. You always have options, and it's tailored to you specifically. Ubuntu's great since it applies well to the majority of home users without confusing them, but you can make it as simple or confusing as you want. XD

But really, some people turn off compositing altogether because they don't care about the looks after a while. So long as it doesn't hurt to look at, most people are fine- heck, look at all the people still using Windows XP!
Yeah, but for me, Compiz interferes with the usability of flash. I will use it at school though to show off. :D

JDShu
August 18th, 2010, 02:57 AM
The only thing I can comment on is.. whats with that reoccurring Rei? Its kinda creepy.

lancest
August 18th, 2010, 03:03 AM
The other day a friend asked me "are you still playing around with Linux?"

That set me off.

I prefer "Are you still playing around with Windows?"

Austin25
August 18th, 2010, 05:28 AM
FTWDATOLU haven't seen Compiz or the low resource profile.