PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 installing

owenisred
July 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone

Ok until recently I have been running ubuntu on my desktop (without internet) for just over a year now. I had one hell of an old version on it.

I bought a laptop (from medion) with windows 7 and I decided I'd stick ubuntu on it with the same cd that I installed ubuntu on my desktop. I now have wireless internet, and so I discovered that 10.04 was avaliable to me. I decided to upgrade. (in retrospect a bad idea)

Basically the upgrade froze when trying to replace grub something, so I was forced to shut down. On restart I realised I probably was better just downloading ubuntu 10.04 to a disk, uninstalling all old versions, and doing a fresh install.

This is where I'm at at the moment. I mounted the image onto a CD using Power2Go and ran wubi.exe, removed the previous versions. I then tried to install. When the computer rebooted, The ubuntu loading screen came up, then the welcome background came up, then a white rectangle in the middle of the screen. I could do nothing from this point, and so I restarted in win7 and decided to post here.

This is driving my crazy - any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
Owen.

kennedyvelez
July 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone

Ok until recently I have been running ubuntu on my desktop (without internet) for just over a year now. I had one hell of an old version on it.

I bought a laptop (from medion) with windows 7 and I decided I'd stick ubuntu on it with the same cd that I installed ubuntu on my desktop. I now have wireless internet, and so I discovered that 10.04 was avaliable to me. I decided to upgrade. (in retrospect a bad idea)

Basically the upgrade froze when trying to replace grub something, so I was forced to shut down. On restart I realised I probably was better just downloading ubuntu 10.04 to a disk, uninstalling all old versions, and doing a fresh install.

This is where I'm at at the moment. I mounted the image onto a CD using Power2Go and ran wubi.exe, removed the previous versions. I then tried to install. When the computer rebooted, The ubuntu loading screen came up, then the welcome background came up, then a white rectangle in the middle of the screen. I could do nothing from this point, and so I restarted in win7 and decided to post here.

This is driving my crazy - any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
Owen.

Owen, Is that a dual boot? Install within Windows 7, then upgrade to 10.04. You have to install from scratch first before using update manager. I think you can't upgrade on wubi.You have to boot from your live cd then upgrade. This time you have to choose whats good for your laptop.

Ken

owenisred
July 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure were thinking about the same this (im probably pretty slow tbh) I uninstalled ubuntu totally and ran the new 10.04 live cd and tried to install ubuntu 10.04 there. It didnt work.

kennedyvelez
July 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Installing Ubuntu 10.04 is not that bad as some people think. Although, there's still some polishing to do. Thats why we have Updates from the developers throughout the world. We still have to give the credits to the Ubuntu Community and Developers.

owenisred
July 22nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
It didnt work lol. What do I do?

I just get a welcome screen background. I cant do anything

kennedyvelez
July 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure were thinking about the same this (im probably pretty slow tbh) I uninstalled ubuntu totally and ran the new 10.04 live cd and tried to install ubuntu 10.04 there. It didnt work.

Do you have other boot cds there? how bout ubuntu 9.10. Its stable. Maybe it the cd. Is it a download or delivered?

owenisred
July 22nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
got 9.10 now - should I try installing that and upgrading from there then - yes?

Owen.

kennedyvelez
July 22nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
got 9.10 now - should I try installing that and upgrading from there then - yes?

Owen.

yes, you could upgrade from there. but you could also stay with 9.10 if you want. goodluck.

owenisred
July 22nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
OK I got 10.04 on, but I'm not totally happy.

1. Im sure there are a million threads on this - but could someone explain why the "continue without installing grub" came up? Is there going to be a problem?

2. On reboot I chose Ubuntu instead of windows 7, and then chose the first of the 7 options listed. (Don't know what they all were) Ubuntu welcome screen background came up - the welcome noise played, but there was nothing I could click. I had to reboot again and choose the 3rd option, which, although looking like it wouldn't work for a long time, eventually worked. What was wrong with the first option?

Thanks for your time,
Owen.

owenisred
July 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Anyone?

owenisred
July 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
:(