PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba

ulissesroc
April 1st, 2006, 06:21 PM
Hi, i'm an italian guy, so sorry for my english (even if i am an official ubuntu translator in italy).

I would like to buy a toshiba m50, with ati x600 128+128, centrino 1.73, etc etc..i don't remember the exact name (m50-xxx)..the price is about 1000$..

my answer is:

Does that one works fine with ubuntu? I absolutely don't want any windows boring partition...thanks to everyone..

dabear
April 1st, 2006, 06:40 PM
my answer is:
You mean your "question"?

I didn't find that laptop in the list (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=toshiba&titlesearch=Titles)

ulissesroc
April 1st, 2006, 07:25 PM
You mean your "question"?

Ops..yes, i mean question..

erikpiper
April 1st, 2006, 07:54 PM
Well, I am not farmiliar at all with this... But the thing has an ATI card. Nvidia cards are MUCH better supported in linux, and you can do cooler stuff with em on linux.. So I say find an nvidia lappie.

ulissesroc
April 1st, 2006, 10:21 PM
Well, I am not farmiliar at all with this... But the thing has an ATI card. Nvidia cards are MUCH better supported in linux, and you can do cooler stuff with em on linux.. So I say find an nvidia lappie.
Yeah, i know, but it's hard to find a 13-14'' laptop with an nvidia, at that price..

I think i will wait for the mac book..it will work, or it will not..

erikpiper
April 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
Well... My laptop has IBM graphics.... Meh

YES! Go with the intel mac! (Once ubuntu officially works on it.....)

accleo
June 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM
I have a Toshiba m50-137, with ati x600SE, so I think the model is very similar to yours.

The point is that I'm running now Ubuntu Hoary without any problem at all. The only thing I had to do was installing de latest official ati drivers (that was very easy), and everything worked fine, even wi-fi, ethernet, etc...

As I'm now in exams period, I did not install Dapper, but I did run the Desktop CD (I couldn't wait :) ) and I can assure you that everything works spectacular, everything gets recognized... incredible. Screen configuration is ok, touchpad does smooth scroll... I think there's no problem with Ubuntu (Dapper) and m50.

And as far as I can tell, I'm very happy with the laptop: yes, it's very difficult to find a 1000€ Laptop with 14' widescreen with no-intel GPU etc... do not hesitate, Ubuntu is not a problem! :D