PDA

View Full Version : Who ever hate youtube ads reply here

jcer93705
July 22nd, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hey guys what you all think about ads in youtube? Okay since their now
providing stupid ads i just don't like it if youtube is going that route
okay its fine but why not have a seperate package for those people that want without ads. I will pay but what you guys think? Ad is now annoying especially those people connecting their linux/pc/osx pc to tv. What does you guys think. I don't know I just don't like it i know their doing somthing good but i just don't like it.

Quetion is do you like how youtube is running? What ever things you wanna say about it say it here. Thank you!!!

Image this you connected laptop or pc and ads is showing, doesn't it bug you?

Jim

Dustin2128
July 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
hm, wonder if this is going to be moved to recurring. Anyway, I think its 100% pure BS when I have to sit through a 30 second commercial to watch my videos, not to mention the near ubiquitous google adbar on the bottom of playing videos. Have you heard the reason why only certain videos are available in html5? it's because google can't put ads on those as easily. I've visited the site less and less since this started happening a few years ago.

Intel91
July 22nd, 2010, 06:55 AM
Hey guys what you all think about ads in youtube? Okay since their now
providing stupid ads i just don't like it if youtube is going that route
okay its fine but why not have a seperate package for those people that want without ads. I will pay but what you guys think? Ad is now annoying especially those people connecting their linux/pc/osx pc to tv. What does you guys think. I don't know I just don't like it i know their doing somthing good but i just don't like it.

Quetion is do you like how youtube is running? What ever things you wanna say about it say it here. Thank you!!!

Image this you connected laptop or pc and ads is showing, doesn't it bug you?

Jim

No, I quit like the ads. Its like you're getting more video time than you asked for.

But on a serious note, ads are a good thing. They keep things free, and they are typically unobtrusive as well as self balancing. I watch Hulu over TV anytime, and they make more money from me doing so. I always wondered why I paid so much for TV just to be buying a million ads as well. Either pay with no ads, or free. It always was quite puzzling to me, and video ads on the internet are the stopgap.

uRock
July 22nd, 2010, 06:56 AM
Dustin, I have AdBlock and NoScript, which block the ad bars that many sites are using.

jcer93705
July 22nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
Dustin, I have AdBlock and NoScript, which block the ad bars that many sites are using.

Interesting

gnomeuser
July 22nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
I don't so much mind the ticker style ads in YouTube videos, they have to pay the bills somehow. Though I am forced to laugh every time they plaster one of my skeptic or atheist videos with ads for creationist or anti-atheist websites.

Somehow that just feels like with all their information gathering, Google still don't know me well enough to make money off me.

Asking for an ad free version to me feels like a sense of entitlement that isn't justified. Google have bills to pay, YouTube also likely costs them a bundle.. and you ask them to flip the bill for your usage without compensation? At least then offer them something in return such as a wad of your hardearned money.

TheNerdAL
July 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
Ads don't bother me a lot, just the ads that are in Flash, now those make the video lag.

earthpigg
July 22nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
i just went there and played a random video.

would i have to disable adblock and noscript to see what you are talking about?

FuturePilot
July 22nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Adblock Plus

I have never seen these ads you speak of.

/thread

Khakilang
July 22nd, 2010, 09:11 AM
I too uses Adblock plus to block those ads. Since I don't have a very high speed internet. I had to squeeze every bit of bandwidth on my internet connection.

TheNerdAL
July 22nd, 2010, 09:12 AM
Adblock Plus

I have never seen these ads you speak of.

/thread

I wish Chrome had that. :(

Dustin2128
July 22nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
no ads on youtube? Huh, I might want to give firefox another chance.

uRock
July 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
I am happy that Ubuntu Forums doesn't use ads to pay the bills, yet.

RiceMonster
July 22nd, 2010, 02:50 PM

It does have adblock

whiskeylover
July 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM
I don't so much mind the ticker style ads in YouTube videos, they have to pay the bills somehow. Though I am forced to laugh every time they plaster one of my skeptic or atheist videos with ads for creationist or anti-atheist websites.

Somehow that just feels like with all their information gathering, Google still don't know me well enough to make money off me.

Asking for an ad free version to me feels like a sense of entitlement that isn't justified. Google have bills to pay, YouTube also likely costs them a bundle.. and you ask them to flip the bill for your usage without compensation? At least then offer them something in return such as a wad of your hardearned money.

+1

Whats with everyone feeling entitled to free stuff? Since the dawn of WWW, everything "free" on the internet has been ad supported in one way or the other.

uRock
July 22nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
+1

Whats with everyone feeling entitled to free stuff? Since the dawn of WWW, everything "free" on the internet has been ad supported in one way or the other.

I think everyone has just become spoiled with Youtube being ad free.

Penguin Guy
July 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Surely no one likes ads?

I do understand that they are the main source of income for companies like YouTube, though.

nowin4me
July 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM

It does:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en-GB

See.

cra1g321
July 23rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
Adblock should come default with firefox (and with ubuntu). I always install it. One great feature of Adblock is you can right-click on ad or anything and tell adblock to block it. So when you refresh the webpage its gone.

BuffaloX
July 23rd, 2010, 01:03 AM
I have ABP, but unless they've changed the way adds are shown since I installed ABP, they are overdoing it.

The adds were/are annoying, and interfere with what you actually came for.
They should make it more classic Google style, relevant but discreet.

McRat
July 23rd, 2010, 01:06 AM
Ads are both good and bad. It permits "free" entertainment in many cases. And many people buy magazines, or visit websites to see "reviews" that are in essence, advertising, if not just the actual ad itself.

If Canonical put Linux Compatible hardware/software ads on this site, would that really anger people? I can see it as a possible benefit to the readers.

uRock
July 23rd, 2010, 02:05 AM
Ads are both good and bad. It permits "free" entertainment in many cases. And many people buy magazines, or visit websites to see "reviews" that are in essence, advertising, if not just the actual ad itself.

If Canonical put Linux Compatible hardware/software ads on this site, would that really anger people? I can see it as a possible benefit to the readers.

I would find it distracting. Can you imagine going to a site while using dial-up and waiting for all of the banners to finish loading? I have 1.2MBps service and get aggravated at how long some sites take to load.

RevengeOfTheToxicRodent
July 23rd, 2010, 02:30 AM
I hate advertising. It's not because I expect everything .com to be free, it's because of what advertising actually is.
Advertising is supposed to be about letting you know that a know that a certain product or service is available. Unfortunately at least in the UK, advertising if obnoxious, manipulative or down right repulsive 99.9% of the time. Take TV advertising for example. The majority of adverts are obnoxious, patronising, manipulating, or sometimes just purely offensive. Its gotten to the point that if I see an advert for something I really wanted that is any of the above, I simply don't buy it.
As for web adverts, they should be as unobtrusive as possible. Banner ads are fine. Anything that plays audio without me making it is a big nono. Being forced to watch something is also just something that will turn me off from a site.
Users shouldn't be treated as a commodity. Unfortunately YouTube is going more and more that way.

khelben1979
July 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
I don't like ads in YouTube either and I'm using adblock software in all of my browsers. Ads slows my system down and I think YouTube is heavy as it is on my hardware resources so I do get bothered if they try to squeeze in more.

YouTube made it easy for me and others to watch videos online, but to be honest, I never really liked them in the first place, because of lack of functionality + heavy flash technology does not make me impressed, I'm just glad that it works and that's fine!