PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Xubuntu Desktop

mosr
July 22nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
So I'm an absolute linux newbie, and I broke my sound last night. In the process of tinkering I did something and now I have the Xubuntu desktop environment.
(I'm supposed to have the Ubuntu Lucid stuff)

I followed the directions in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012 under 'Reinstalling ALSA'.

I purged then reinstalled the Ubuntu GDM Package, but then because I was stupid and didn't read, I installed the Xubuntu GDM package too.

I tried repeating the process and omitting the Xubuntu part and nothing changed.

Halp?

(Also, if there is a way to completely restore everything to the default without me losing all of my programs, that would solve both problems)

I'm about to the point of formatting and reinstalling to start from scratch.

Joe Ker1086
July 22nd, 2010, 04:34 AM
my guess is you followed every step to that and have both Gnome and Xfce. log out and log back in but when you log back in look at the bottom of the screen, says session i think.....its a drop down, see if gnome is in there, most likely xfce is currently selected.

mosr
July 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Yup, now that I'm not exhausted: I have Xfce instead of Gnome but when I log out there's nothing but a little man in a circle, the time at the bottom of the screen, and an icon for shutting down.

Joe Ker1086
July 29th, 2010, 03:25 AM
sorry, i have not been on in a while, are you still having this problem?