PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Installation - CD - issues

HowItzDone
July 22nd, 2010, 02:21 AM
Hi there,

Not a techie here... but here's my question.

My win desktop crapped out and I did not bother to fix it as someone recommended that I try Ubuntu.

Got it on a CD and was using it as "Try Ubuntu" instead of installing it for good (I still wanted to see if there were memory issues or HDD issues with my desktop, before I installed it for good).

Anyway, I would shut down the pc after about 2 or 3 days and redo the CD install (try ubuntu option) again and add all the plugins etc.

Kids used this for playing some games on friv or nickjr.

The real issue - of late, when I try to start the PC and boot from the CD, I am getting a LOGIN screen instead of the regular option to install from CD or Try the Ubuntu.

Any thoughts? Does this mean that Ubuntu is installed? Also, I had never created any user ids or so under the temp install.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

RJARRRPCGP
July 22nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
Sounds like the BIOS is ignoring the CD and booting an OS off the HDD.

tilixibr
July 22nd, 2010, 03:57 AM
Go to the BIOS setup and reorder the boot order, set it to look in the CD/DVD drive first. The computer/laptop will read the Live CD first and you're back to normal.
Just a question: Did you install Ubuntu or are you still using the Live CD?

tilixibr
July 22nd, 2010, 03:59 AM
Oh, just read the very last part of your issue, oops #-o.
Does it happen all the time? Or does it happen once in a while?

HowItzDone
July 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Oh, just read the very last part of your issue, oops #-o.
Does it happen all the time? Or does it happen once in a while?
Thanks for the reply guys (sorry to assume it as guys, lets say folks, instead)...

I noticed the login screen for the first time last week (after using "Try option for a couple of weeks or so).

The boot order has been and is still FDD and CD (USB is next and then HDD; however, nothing is connected to usb and only Windows is on HDD).

Ubuntu is NOT installed... .only running off the CD.

We were away for a week or so and when I came back, the TRY option was back again. Now, shut down a couple of days later and I cannot seem to get the TRY option up. Always comes up to log in screen.

Last night, after shutting the pc down for more than 5 hours or so, I was able to get the TRY option to come up again. It looks like something is residing in the memory - logically it doesnt make sense as even a restart should erase stuff off memory as nothing is installed.

While the system was up last time around, I did check for installed versions of Ubuntu - found nothing.

To answer your question, it seems that everytime the desktop is restarted the login screen is coming up. Unless the machine is shut down for more than 5 hours or so.

One more thing, when someone does get the login screen, is there a default user id and password? I tried to use admin, supervisor, blanks etc. Nothing worked.

Sorry to lay all of this on you.

Any thoughts????

kansasnoob
July 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
One more thing, when someone does get the login screen, is there a default user id and password?

Generally the default username would be ubuntu with no password.

premjot
July 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
first try to configure your Bios to boot from CD as the first booting device, if you have done this then ubuntu has been installed in your entire hard disk and in order to install some other operating system you need to remove the previous OS by using some commands as LINUX is Non-DOS so you can install any other OS till you remove the non-dos OS.

this will solve you problem;)

theozzlives
July 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
You'll probably notice a counter counting down toward zero. When it hits zero, it should go ahead and log on. I ran into this when I was new and tried every username under the sun. This DOES NOT mean Ubuntu is installed!!!

HowItzDone
July 22nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the reply.... appreciate it.

HowItzDone
July 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the default user id reply.

HowItzDone
July 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
You'll probably notice a counter counting down toward zero. When it hits zero, it should go ahead and log on. I ran into this when I was new and tried every username under the sun. This DOES NOT mean Ubuntu is installed!!!

Thanks... will keep this in mind.... and try to pay attention to this count the next time I try to boot from CD.

Can't say this for sure, but I do believe that I have not seen the countdown - but will check it nevertheless.

Sam