PDA

View Full Version : 15 Year Old Outsmarts Apple Store!

McRat
July 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM
:D

In the US, Apple phone can now be tethered to gain 3G internet access for your computer, something that is new to the US with iOS4. But it costs you $20/month additional and chews up your data plan limit.

So a 15 year old submitted a Flashlight application to the iPhone store, that was quickly approved and sold for .99 cents.

Low and behold, under the covers, it was a Tethering application:

http://gizmodo.com/5592521/how-a-guy-tricked-apple-with-a-disguised-iphone-tethering-app

Apple removed it from the store, but it gives me hope for the new generation of Hackers...

MasterNetra
July 21st, 2010, 11:35 PM
Nice...

earthpigg
July 22nd, 2010, 12:25 AM
i love it.

Phrea
July 22nd, 2010, 12:37 AM
Elegant.

McRat
July 22nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
Sidebar though.

This is really, really scary stuff for iPhone owners who download apps.

If a kid can get an app listed that accesses 3G and WiFi ports without detection, it pretty much means that any of the items on the Apple Store are potentially malware.

chriswyatt
July 22nd, 2010, 02:29 AM
I wouldn't say it was too scary, compared to other phones where you don't download from a centralised location it's less scary. At least Apple can quickly get rid of any malicious apps promptly.

Though I guess it's more scary in that people are more likely to trust an app store, so less likely to be cautious when downloading stuff.

pwnst*r
July 22nd, 2010, 03:04 AM
Sidebar though.

If a kid can get an app listed that accesses 3G and WiFi ports without detection, it pretty much means that any of the items on the Apple Store are potentially malware.

^That.

ubunterooster
July 22nd, 2010, 03:17 AM
And apple is said to be overly restrictive in what apps they allow?

Ric_NYC
July 22nd, 2010, 03:32 AM
Superb!

Austin25
July 22nd, 2010, 03:38 AM
They don't have employees verifying code? Wow. They are stupid.

earthpigg
July 22nd, 2010, 03:45 AM

My assumption was always that, as a proprietary-friendly company, they run the software on test phones and have a daemon that monitors what aspects of the phone's hardware and software is accessed by a given app.

I suppose they don't consider it a flag for an app to be accessing the wireless modem.

kevin11951
July 22nd, 2010, 03:49 AM
My assumption was always that, as a proprietary-friendly company, they run the software on test phones and have a daemon that monitors what aspects of the phone's hardware and software is accessed by a given app.

I suppose they don't consider it a flag for an app to be accessing the wireless modem.

I'd be willing to bet that's changed now!

NMFTM
July 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
If the kid was smart he'd have made the app only allow access to the wifi ports if some sort of script was run (that wasn't included with the app). That way only a very limited numbre of users would have ever discovered it and he could have let his friends and family who had iPhones in on it while most people would have been obvlious.

EDIT: My friend tells me that you can install apps without using the app store. Nvm then.

Excedio
July 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Forgive my ignorance...but I don't have an iPhone. When downloading an app from the store, does it give you a list of what the application has access to on the phone? Something like what the Android Market shows?

Example (http://www.taosoftware.co.jp/en/android/wakeupcallmaker/img/wakeupcallmaker_install.png).

If it does...then anyone would see that the app is using way more than it needed for a simple flashlight.

Trinexx
July 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
If the kid was smart he'd have made the app only allow access to the wifi ports if some sort of script was run (that wasn't included with the app). That way only a very limited numbre of users would have ever discovered it and he could have let his friends and family who had iPhones in on it while most people would have been obvlious.

EDIT: My friend tells me that you can install apps without using the app store. Nvm then.
They only found out about it because people were spreading instructions on how to activate tethering online. Doesn't matter how you go about it, someone will eventually discover it and post the method online.

alexan
July 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
"oh, I beg you.. let me buy that"

Somewhat funny. I can't believe people actually buy iPhones... well, their money, I do suppose.

endotherm
July 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
They only found out about it because people were spreading instructions on how to activate tethering online. Doesn't matter how you go about it, someone will eventually discover it and post the method online.
remember the first rule of fight club

alexfish
July 22nd, 2010, 09:53 PM

http://modmyi.com/cydia/search.php

HappinessNow
July 22nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
forget tethering can you set up a wifi hotspot yet? like you can with the Nexus One.

aysiu
July 22nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
forget tethering can you set up a wifi hotspot yet? like you can with the Nexus One.
Isn't that what tethering is (assuming it's not USB tethering)?

McRat
July 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
My 3Gs is jailbroke because Apple did not permit tethering at the time. I went to Cydia to get the goodies to do it.

I wasn't trying to "hack" Apple or get anything for free, it's just that our AT&T 3G USB modem would crash my MacBookPro. In order for me to get AT&T 3G, I had to jailbreak the iPhone. So I was paying for bandwidth anyways twice, I just needed access to it.

Johnsie
July 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
I much prefer my HTC Desire, it's more beautiful and can to alot more than those phones that are restrictive and need rubber bumpers to work properly.

Austin25
July 23rd, 2010, 01:18 AM
I pwn; you pwn; we all pwn the iPhone!

CJ Master
July 23rd, 2010, 02:34 AM
Can apps get ahold of your passwords? What about your web history?

If so, I can see Trojan Horses being a very large problem for the app store.

Screwdriver0815
July 23rd, 2010, 04:23 AM
did you all ever think about the following:

this company sells a phone to you which is not even cheap, isn't it? And then... you want to use something which is a matter of course for the users of other phones. And? Either you pay extra or you do something illegal... how stupid is that?

It's just restricting... you can not organize music WITHOUT iTunes... no wifi hotspot... what else does not work? of course people show up with "workarounds" to get what you want.

I need three clicks on the Nexus to set up a wifi hotspot. I pay the internet flatrate anyway, so why should I pay extra?

all this jailbraking, illegal copies of software and so on... grown on the ground of resriction...

poor apple customers

witeshark17
July 23rd, 2010, 05:37 AM
Sidebar though.

If a kid can get an app listed that accesses 3G and WiFi ports without detection, it pretty much means that any of the items on the Apple Store are potentially malware. +1 :popcorn:

gnomeuser
July 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Now what this should be reminding us of is not that Apple and AT&T are bastards who wish to squeeze ever dime out of you but that Apple's security is horrid.

This application clearly did not do what it said it did, how many other applications in the AppStore do something far less useful and far more nefarious such as stealing passwords without telling anyone.. we don't know and as is evident, neither does Apple.

I believe it is about time to shame Apple for their lack of security on their platform, they spent so much time making sure they control it and in reality all they are, is gatekeepers for people of lesser morality to access our personal lives. They have done nothing to secure their users of any note.

3rdalbum
July 23rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
After the first "flashlight" program, Apple should have just said "Ok, no more flashlights". Does a mobile phone platform really need 100 different applications that just set the screen colour to white?

gnomeuser
July 23rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
After the first "flashlight" program, Apple should have just said "Ok, no more flashlights". Does a mobile phone platform really need 100 different applications that just set the screen colour to white?

So Apple should be the ones to decide which is the one flashlight app in the store? It may be an idiotic app type that has very few real uses but everyone starts somewhere and the guy who writes one might one day create the new iFart or whatever apps are on the iPhone.

amitabhishek
July 23rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
So what next? A fart application providing tethering.

chiliman
July 23rd, 2010, 05:40 PM
I think most data plans for phones are a rip off anyways.
Im with at&t and i think i would have to pay 20-30 USD for just 2gb of bandwidth........rip off....and its not like you can have a family policy and share the bandwidth...you will have to pay the data fee for each phone.... If i had an i-phone i would fully support this app, its as if your just giving your money to apple for really nothing. Shoot this app. is worth more than 99 cents to me lol.

j7%<RmUg
July 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
hehe, smart little kid.

I would normally give a damn about something so funny but i really hate the iphone.

HappinessNow
July 24th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Isn't that what tethering is (assuming it's not USB tethering)?Usually tethering refers to USB tethering, setting up a wifi hotspot that you can connect up to 6 computers is different.

at least on my Nexus One I have 2 options:

1. Tethering (USB) - 0ne computer

2. Portable hotspot (Wifi) - up to six computers

WitchCraft
September 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM
What do I care.
They charge for a review process, but they never actually do any review.
Just proves that they are only after your money.
Apple will take down that application if they haven't already done so.

I use Android, and it has a Wireless accesspoint right integrated into the operating system.
That is, I needed to install a custom ROM, because HTC won't update HTC Hero from 2.1 to 2.2 for another year or so
(after all, when the new ones hardwarewise aren't any better than the old ones, there needs to be a reason for customers to buy the new more expensive ones...)

pwnst*r
September 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
What do I care.

You cared enough to dig up a two month old thread.

MasterNetra
September 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM
remember the first rule of fight club

Which you broke.

chris200x9
September 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM

*facepalm*

corrytonapple
September 11th, 2010, 10:29 PM
No, they are just being Apple. When I came up with this username I did not know about this!

3rdalbum
September 12th, 2010, 07:30 AM
So Apple should be the ones to decide which is the one flashlight app in the store?

Why not, they decide everything else in their app store.

Apple should really build their own flashlight program to ship with the iPhones. Dedicate an engineer toward it for the ten minutes or so that it takes to write one.

WitchCraft
September 14th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Better late then never ;-)))

speedwell68
September 14th, 2010, 09:33 AM
The best thing Apple could do now is offer that lad a job.

Johnsie
September 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Apple is so last year

pwnst*r
September 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
*facepalm*

It's okay that you don't get it. One day you will.

WitchCraft
September 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
It's okay that you don't get it. One day you will.

The iPhone is already dead anyway.
I'm betting by 2012, Android will have the majority of the market share already.
:lolflag:

pwnst*r
September 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
The iPhone is already dead anyway.
I'm betting by 2012, Android will have the majority of the market share already.
:goofballemoticon:

Market share doesn't mean everything if things are fragmented beyond recognition.

v1ad
September 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Smart kid, thanks for digging up the article or i would of never found it.

aysiu
September 16th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Market share doesn't mean everything if things are fragmented beyond recognition.
I keep hearing about Android "fragmentation," but I haven't heard any meaningful and truthful specifics about how that affects the end user.

If you mean there are different releases of Android (1.6, 2.1, 2.2), does that mean you also consider Windows to be fragmented (Windows XP, Vista, 7)? Funny how I read articles every week about how Android is fragmented but I have never read a single article or blog post claiming Windows to be fragmented.

I've heard some people insinuating that apps have to be custom-made for every different type of phone (different screen sizes, different specs). Again, couldn't the same case be made for Windows (or any computer operating system)? There are 10" screens, 13" screens, 15" screens, 22" screens. There are 1 GHz processors and 2.6 GHz processors.

I'm an end-user, and I haven't had any problems running apps when I've used 1.5, 1.6, 2.1, or 2.2 on my Android phone. I haven't seen any apps I use appear funny because of my phone's screen size. And performance seems to be about normal for my phones modest specs, regardless of what app I use.

Can someone (you or someone else) cite some specifics about this supposed Android "fragmentation"?

WitchCraft
September 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM

In the software business, volume is everything. - Bill Gates

It's not that fragemented.
The distro is Android everywhere, just different versions.
And you can update. For example, by now, pretty much everything is 2.1 or >.

http://cdn.cbsi.com.au/story_media/339305864/android-market-projection.png

http://static.businessinsider.com/image/4b991f367f8b9a9c65010400/chart-of-the-day-us-share-of-smartphone-platforms.gif

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Technology/Pix/pictures/2010/7/21/1279727443667/Screen_shot_2010-07-21_at_13.34.50-460.png

http://www.eurodroid.com/pics/google_android_os_market_share.jpg

http://androidandme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/android_version_share_8_3.jpg

http://edtake.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/android-os-marketshare2.jpg

http://gigaom.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/android-os-share-admob.jpg

Paqman
September 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I keep hearing about Android "fragmentation," but I haven't heard any meaningful and truthful specifics about how that affects the end user.

The main effects for the end user is the lack of OS updates. A big part of the reason it's fragmented is that carriers have been rubbish about pushing out updates.

What version of Android you're running (and therefore what apps you have available) is dependent on what handset you use on what carrier, which is pretty much the definition of fragmentation.

Another issue is that performance apps like games need to get as close to the metal as possible. That's why the Iphone has so many more games available. Iphone devs know what (very small subset of) hardware their game will be running on, so it's easier to optimise. Designing a high performing game for Android is a headache, because you're dealing with four versions over dozens of handsets, plus UI variations on top. So you're looking at higher development costs and worse performance, which the end user definitely sees the effect of.

I love Android, but fragmentation is a real issue, and could really hold it back from achieving it's potential. Google are trying to sort it out though.

NCLI
September 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM
The main effects for the end user is the lack of OS updates. A big part of the reason it's fragmented is that carriers have been rubbish about pushing out updates.

What version of Android you're running (and therefore what apps you have available) is dependent on what handset you use on what carrier, which is pretty much the definition of fragmentation.

Another issue is that performance apps like games need to get as close to the metal as possible. That's why the Iphone has so many more games available. Iphone devs know what (very small subset of) hardware their game will be running on, so it's easier to optimise. Designing a high performing game for Android is a headache, because you're dealing with four versions over dozens of handsets, plus UI variations on top. So you're looking at higher development costs and worse performance, which the end user definitely sees the effect of.

I love Android, but fragmentation is a real issue, and could really hold it back from achieving it's potential. Google are trying to sort it out though.

Pray tell, why are there more games available for Windows than Mac if hardware diversity is a major issue?

Paqman
September 17th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Pray tell, why are there more games available for Windows than Mac if hardware diversity is a major issue?

Presumably because handsets aren't as powerful as computers. Games developers for phones need to squeeze their code hard to get performance.

Or at least, this is what I heard from a games dev talking about phones on the Guardian Tech Weekly recently.

WitchCraft
September 17th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Presumably because handsets aren't as powerful as computers. Games developers for phones need to squeeze their code hard to get performance.

Or at least, this is what I heard from a games dev talking about phones on the Guardian Tech Weekly recently.

That is assuming you want to play Quake3 on Android.
Never mind that it doesn't make any sense, but the point is you already can.

As for the rest of the games: if they have performance problems writing 'Worms' for Android, then perhaps they should write bug-free code.

Paqman
September 17th, 2010, 05:19 PM
As for the rest of the games: if they have performance problems writing 'Worms' for Android, then perhaps they should write bug-free code.

I couldn't tell you whether it's the technical or the commercial issues that mean games are getting developed mostly for the Iphone instead of Android. I suspect it's a bit of both. I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone who'd been in that position.

Some of the commercial reasons to go for the Iphone(eg: number of users and mindshare) are arguably getting less compelling as Android adoption grows. Google should be doing everything it can to tackle any potential technical turnoffs (eg: fragmentation) too. Sticking their collective head in the sand and pretending there's no room for improvement would be a great way to squander the huge success Android has already had. Android is going to have to work twice as hard to pick up half as much market share from now on.

aysiu
September 17th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I don't see what's so difficult about just having system requirements, if it's a graphics-intensive fast-paced game you're writing. Just say your phone has to have at least a 1 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM or a certain screen resolution in order to run the game.

I have an older phone. If I wanted to play a graphics-intensive game, and I was told my system requirements weren't good enough to play the game, I'd understand perfectly. I have an underclocked-to-384 MHz processor with 192 MB of RAM.

pwnst*r
September 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
The phone also needs a decent GPU. The Evo's sucks, the Galaxy S's does not.

Roasted
September 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
LOL. I like.