PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to dual boot 10.04 and 10.10 whilst annihilating XP

Riffronan
July 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm an Ami but a sucker for both British lingo and with all things Olde World. Right now I'm dual-booting between 10.04 and XP from the Grub menu. I only use XP to check my monthly bandwidth for my capped 5G/month Verizon Wireless account, find that guitar software that works in Windows has too much latency with unconvincing tones to boot (no pun)...blah, blaaah. So I'm going to download the latest daily build of 10.10 and hope that some great soul will tell me how to install 10.10 aside the 10.04 I currently have...my compiz settings are fantastic so I'd have to migrate these to 10.10 piecemeal but I love keeping abreast with the very latest in Ubuntu. I'm starting my download as we speak and have no qualms with running a LiveCD until y'ins (Northern expression) can tell me how to 'Get 'er Done' (Southern expression) Thanks in advance !

:-p (wine) & unabashed cuz Linux>Windows

p.s. I said 'breast'

stlsaint
July 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
1. Install Linux 10.04
2. either install 10.10 using the "along side" option in ubiquity at install menu or do manual partitioning to install 10.10.

davidmohammed
July 21st, 2010, 10:38 PM
maverick is still alpha - you might want to consider installing it via virtualbox instead once you've install 10.04. This way, you dont have to worry about maverick breaking something drastic in you PC boot sequence.

oldfred
July 21st, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have 9.10, two copies of 10.04 and soon will install 10.10. All my data is in a separate /data partition and I have a small script to link the data folders into each install so I have all the same data. You can copy all of /home over but since 10.10 is alpha I would not share or assume you could or should use the same /home.

With data in a separate partition each install is about 4-6GB used in 20-25GB system partitions. My /home is only 1GB but I am very aggressive about moving the data from any application into my /data partition.

When I set up partitions I just planned on extra system partitions and you do not need a large drive to have several 20 or 25GB partitions.

Riffronan
July 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I appreciate all the help...as I'm still noob-ish in these matters, I might just stick with the LiveCD until the final release.