PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 themes?

Yes
July 21st, 2010, 05:46 PM
I'd like to change the theme of my Windows 7 install to something other than the glass Aero themes that are included with Windows. Is there anywhere I can download themes without installing WindowBlinds? I didn't like how it kept bothering me about buying it.

Thanks!

Linye
July 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM
<snip>

Yes
July 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM
I know how to use Google. I was wondering if there was a site like gnome-look or anything, because a lot of the stuff I find on Google seem less than legit. A number of them also seem to require messing around in the registry, which I'm rather reluctant to do.

PuddingKnife
July 21st, 2010, 06:17 PM
Uh.. picked this up somewhere .. It'll probably help.

http://images.4chan.org/wg/src/1274441472924.jpg

anon.jdh
July 21st, 2010, 06:18 PM
I can't stop laughing!
Lyne, that was so awesome I must know how you did it.

RiceMonster
July 21st, 2010, 06:19 PM
I can't stop laughing!
Lyne, that was so awesome I must know how you did it.

http://lmgtfy.com/

anon.jdh
July 21st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Thank you RiceMonster, my day is complete!

phillychease
July 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM
Deviantart

http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/skins/windows/visualstyle/

nerdy_kid
July 21st, 2010, 11:19 PM
i used to use VistaGlazz on vista ( waay back then....poor soul didnt know what i was missing ), thats free and i think it works for 7 too. Then just google VistaGlazz themes....i found some cool stuff :D

LowSky
July 21st, 2010, 11:29 PM
be careful using lmgtfy.com on here, the mods aren't fans.

overdrank
July 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM
:lolflag:

hackerseraph
July 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM
ROFL I use lmgtfy religiously so when i clicked that tinyurl i rolled lol good call :] I can't even take this thread seriously.

hackerseraph
July 21st, 2010, 11:36 PM

:lolflag:

ROFL even further more the mods are laughing their butts off xD

Linye
July 21st, 2010, 11:38 PM

I guess, but this isn't a support area \\:D/

To the OP, nothing against you, its just that it was a nice scenario.

overdrank
July 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
I guess, but this isn't a support area \\:D/

This is true. I am not laughing at the lmgtfy I am laughing at LowSky post as I was almost going to remove the post. :)

earthpigg
July 22nd, 2010, 12:46 AM
Is there anywhere I can download themes without installing WindowBlinds?

whoops, looks like i can't read.

post removed.

anon.jdh
July 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm going to come right out and say it.
Please feel free to tear me end to end but I'm being honest.

This forum, this community, Ubuntu in general is despised by huge numbers in the Linux community (including Greg Kroah-Hartman himself).

I switched from Debian because I was tired of the effort and wanted to dissect Ubuntu. Along the way I found a great group of people that I defend tirelessly to the rest of the community.

We have a huge group of cool people here that help one another. Please, Please, Please don't ask Windows questions here!

It just gives the haters more ammunition. And after spending 2 hours being humiliated by my friends last night over coffee I still refuse to abandon this community.

I hope this matters to someone.

RiceMonster
July 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm going to come right out and say it.
Please feel free to tear me end to end but I'm being honest.

This forum, this community, Ubuntu in general is despised by huge numbers in the Linux community (including Greg Kroah-Hartman himself).

I switched from Debian because I was tired of the effort and wanted to dissect Ubuntu. Along the way I found a great group of people that I defend tirelessly to the rest of the community.

We have a huge group of cool people here that help one another. Please, Please, Please don't ask Windows questions here!

It just gives the haters more ammunition. And after spending 2 hours being humiliated by my friends last night over coffee I still refuse to abandon this community.

I hope this matters to someone.

Well to start I think it's pretty sad that your friends would humilate you for whatever OS you use. Second, while this is a Linux forum (and specifically for Ubuntu) I don't see how asking a Windows question in the general chat area had a negative impact, or "gives the haters more ammunition".

anon.jdh
July 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Ricemonster,

You're right you should be able to ask any question you want.
I have just never seen a Windows question being asked in a Linux forum and it makes me throw-up in my mouth a little.

My friends rock and I love them. They are kernel developers and members of the development community. I have heard them make fun of Ubuntu for years along with everything else.

Outside of work these are about the only human beings I see. They are brutal about such things and I respect it. But when you make a move from Debian to Ubuntu people from the Debian community can become hostile in conversation, that's all.

A little context ~ I live and work in a computer science community (University of Arizona & U of A tech park).

whiskeylover
July 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
My friends rock and I love them. They are kernel developers and members of the development community. I have heard them make fun of Ubuntu for years along with everything else.

Outside of work these are about the only human beings I see. They are brutal about such things and I respect it. But when you make a move from Debian to Ubuntu people from the Debian community can become hostile in conversation, that's all.

A little context ~ I live and work in a computer science community (University of Arizona & U of A tech park).

Then your friends need to get out more often. Maybe get some female companionship. You need to remind them that OSs aren't religions.

Yes
July 22nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
My question really wasn't the kind of thing that sould make you throw up.

e: About the OP, thank you for those who suggested Deviant Art. I found a few there that I like. The problem with just Googling 'windows 7 theme' is that I didn't trust a lot of the sites that came up, I was really looking for where people here found themes so I knew I was getting them from a safe place.

limestone
July 22nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/skins/windows7/visualstyle/?order=9

staf0048
July 22nd, 2010, 07:49 PM

It just gives the haters more ammunition.

While I agree in theory that this is a strange place to ask help for Windows related issues, the simple truth is that many people on this forum run both systems. I think it's a testimate to this community that people trust us enough to ask these questions. Sure, the OP got a little flamed for it, but we have lots of new users here and if we're to continue growing in popularity we need to remain open to their questions and not turn them off.

Think of how a noob would feel if we flamed them like your friends did you. I'd be turned off immediately if it were me and I see the OP has not posted back even after some helpful comments.

I'm not saying that we should turn into a Windows help forum by any means, but certainly giving a link here or there or nudging people in the right direction isn't terribly offensive. If people trust the community, they will enjoy the system that much more.

Just my $.02.

anon.jdh
July 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
whiskeylover, you're right.

The thing is, we live, eat, breathe, sh** this stuff every single day. That's why I added the context part because in many places it would seem ridiculous.

We are computer science students and this what we talk about. We want to do more than just "use" Linux. we want to shape the future with it.

Oh, and as far as the female companionship part goes. Have you been to the University of Arizona lately? Also, this was not a complete sausage fest.

anon.jdh
July 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
flame on.

whiskeylover
July 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/8460924/2/istockphoto_8460924-flame.jpghttp://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/8460924/2/istockphoto_8460924-flame.jpg

earthpigg
July 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
The thing is, we live, eat, breathe, sh** this stuff every single day. That's why I added the context part because in many places it would seem ridiculous.

We are computer science students and this what we talk about. We want to do more than just "use" Linux. we want to shape the future with it.

Oh, and as far as the female companionship part goes. Have you been to the University of Arizona lately? Also, this was not a complete sausage fest.

you and your friends want to change the future of linux, and are pretty fanatical about it.

fanatics that want to change the future usually don't end up doing to in a good way. You do get your occasional MLK, Ghandi, and (to a lesser degree) RMS... but that unique & beautiful trait of being Fanatically Humanist doesn't happen very often.

the reason that the world isn't a lot crappier than it is, however, is because young men usually grow out of fanaticism before they are old enough to be influential.

you've grown up faster than your friends, apparently. Not by using ubuntu (which, in itself, infers nothing at all about maturity), but by being willing to consider ubuntu with an open mind given the peer pressure you face.

but don't lose sleep over it. your friends will grow up, eventually. Maybe suggest that they take an additional humanities class or two? Perhaps it will make them less Teenager and more Human. :D

warrenc285
July 22nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
The Soft 7 theme is very good. you should be able to find it on deviantart.