PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Error 18 after upgrading to 10.04

Ameneon
July 21st, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hi,

I've used Ubuntu for a few years now (since 7.04) and each time the upgrade process has gone mostly painlessly (an acpi error once that was resolved quickly) and thus I've probably gotten a bit lazy. So when I decided to upgrade to 10.04 from 9.10 I figured this would go smoothly, but no such luck. The upgrade process goes fine and then after the computer has shut down and is on it's way up again I get grub error 18 when booting the computer, before I get the grub menu.

I run a dual-boot system where windows xp is installed on one disk, then I have a storage disk and finally the ubuntu disk, which is all ubuntu. What I don't understand is (considering how the error 18 seems to come when bootloader can't access kernel) have come now when this have worked fine for years before this. Any good suggestions to how to solve this smoothly? I can of course reinstall ubuntu but I've kind of gotten used to my setup and don't really want to do that if there's an alternative :P

Ty for all help :)

Ameneon
July 21st, 2010, 12:39 PM
Erm....now I'm confused as heck.

I downloaded and then booted from the 10.04 live cd to see what I could see, prodded around a little but didn't make any changes to the system. Then I chose to reboot the system by mistake (had intended to shut down) and when the system came back up (cd out) I suddenly had the grub boot menu and could boot like normal, as far as I can see. Hadn't changed a thing.. :o

Oh well. I'm happy it works but a little nervous that it happened, I'll admit :P