PDA

View Full Version : Building a computer- where should I go for linux compatible hardware?

Dustin2128
July 21st, 2010, 09:52 AM
I'm planning to build a computer sometime soon to replace my trusty desktop which is, sadly, sinking deeply into obsolescence, and I'd like to avoid the only problems I've ever had with linux- all hardware based. I've pretty much got the specifications down in my head; a computer I won't be ashamed of using in 2016. The new parts I'll need will be: a processor, preferably dual or quad core, definitely 64-bit, with good clock speed, 3-7GBs RAM (the density of my old ram sticks is too low to justify reuse; 4 256Mb sticks), a fairly powerful graphics card, a 1-2TB hard drive, and unfortunately, a new motherboard, seeing as my old one is so outdated, I can't even buy mainstream peripherals. Also, if you know where I could buy a translucent case for all the hardware, that'd save some looking. I don't want to buy a whole computer from anywhere (or else I'd buy from system76) seeing as there are plenty of parts that I can salvage from my old computer like DVD drives, and sound and wifi cards. I asked because I'm not quite sure what brands and models to go with besides nVidia for the graphics card. Ideally I'd like to go to one store for all of this stuff, with decent tech support in case of failures (none of this 'your monitor is broken because you installed linux' best buy crap). Any recommendations?

cascade9
July 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM
If you arent a gamer, then a 'fairly powerfull video card' is just expense you dont need. A top of the line GTX480 wont do anything for desktop, or media playback, a nice, cheap GT220/240 will do. Well, thats almost a lie, it will do 2 things- increase your power bill, and create a lot of heat....

64bit is almost everything these days. Even some of the Atoms are 64bit, any 'normal' desktop CPU will be 64bit.

Clear cases do nothing for me, I dont like the way they look and the faw that I've seen running always looks filthy (dust in aclear case is really easy to see). But hey, you want clear, easy enough to find-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583+600006335&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=7&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Newegg might be a decent place to get the rest of your parts from. I dont know about the returns policy there though.

I'd go for 4-8GB myself. 2x2GB DDR3, or 2x2GB/2x4GB DDR3 for AMD/Intel socket 1156, and 3x2GB for Intel 1366 (1366 is only for the rich IMO).

Do you have a budget? Any preference with Intel/AMD?

*edit- there might still be a couple of issues with the newer Intel coreX CPUs/chipsets (i3, i5, i7). As far as the AMDs go, you can find motherboards around with useless stuff for linux (jmicon RAID controllers, etc) but the basic chipsets work really well with linux.

Dustin2128
July 21st, 2010, 06:05 PM
If you arent a gamer, then a 'fairly powerfull video card' is just expense you dont need. A top of the line GTX480 wont do anything for desktop, or media playback, a nice, cheap GT220/240 will do. Well, thats almost a lie, it will do 2 things- increase your power bill, and create a lot of heat....

64bit is almost everything these days. Even some of the Atoms are 64bit, any 'normal' desktop CPU will be 64bit.

Clear cases do nothing for me, I dont like the way they look and the faw that I've seen running always looks filthy (dust in aclear case is really easy to see). But hey, you want clear, easy enough to find-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583+600006335&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=7&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Newegg might be a decent place to get the rest of your parts from. I dont know about the returns policy there though.

I'd go for 4-8GB myself. 2x2GB DDR3, or 2x2GB/2x4GB DDR3 for AMD/Intel socket 1156, and 3x2GB for Intel 1366 (1366 is only for the rich IMO).

Do you have a budget? Any preference with Intel/AMD?

*edit- there might still be a couple of issues with the newer Intel coreX CPUs/chipsets (i3, i5, i7). As far as the AMDs go, you can find motherboards around with useless stuff for linux (jmicon RAID controllers, etc) but the basic chipsets work really well with linux.
I am a moderate gamer, and I'm talking about an upper-mid range card, not a top of the line. No preference as far as brands go as long as it works; whatever has the most power for the least price.

Linux000
July 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM
AMD is defiantly the Cheaper of the 2 for processors, yet has the same specs, I have an AMD-based Computer shipping in from newegg today for a home server, I would suggest almost any of Neweggs DIY-kits, they're generally cheap, and have a lot of the specs your looking for. Neweggs return policy is 30days with an RMA, and there might be a restocking fee? not sure. They have different policies for different products, so watch out. I would go with an nVidia GeForce graphics card.
EDIT: Western Digital HDD's:) (not the cheapest, but they last)

McRat
July 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
If you read the reviews for the products on Newegg or TigerDirect, you often see people stating they are running Linux.

Your #1 concern is the motherboard. Make sure you find one with good Linux reviews. I haven't found one yet that doesn't run Linux.

Onboard Graphics have come a very long way since 2000. If you can use them, it will save power and money. The price between mobo's with and without video is negligible. Be warned though, the latest gen of onboard video will consume up to 1GB of your RAM in addition to the built-in RAM. So at least 4 GB should be installed.

LowSky
July 21st, 2010, 06:48 PM
Newegg for the win! I do all my shopping there, people have told me I should own stock in the company.

Intel or AMD wont matter, they both will run fine. 64bit is 99% standard on any desktop chip you buy. Prive VS performance the best bet is AMD for the top end, middle of the road its a toss up, and lowend Intel wins.
For a motherboard, I think Gigabyte is the best, followed by ASUS and MSI. My current one is an MSI and its pretty amazing for a highend board.

Go with 8GB of RAM (2x4GB) it will cost a lot more but it will be better in the long term, make sure the motherboard has 4 DIMMS and can accept 16+GB later for upgrading. My personal favorite brand is GSkill, but you can never go wrong with Corsair and Kingston.

For a video card go big or go cheap and upgrade every 2-4 years. Go Nvidia they work better with Linux. I just picked up a GTX 460. It will probably last me 4 years of gaming. It cost about 200-240 depending on configuration but it will last a good while.

Please don't go clear case! If you want to see inside just get a case with a side window. Clear cases are usually flimsy, and are not well sealed and offer little for heat dissipation. And you will see every dust bunny!

Dont skimp on the power supply. buy a well known brand. Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, OCZ are some of the best.

As for support, when you build your own, each part will have it own warranty, so you will have to deal with the company that made it directly. Some are great, some are horrible check the reviews.

Dustin2128
July 22nd, 2010, 12:11 AM
Newegg for the win! I do all my shopping there, people have told me I should own stock in the company.

Intel or AMD wont matter, they both will run fine. 64bit is 99% standard on any desktop chip you buy. Prive VS performance the best bet is AMD for the top end, middle of the road its a toss up, and lowend Intel wins.
For a motherboard, I think Gigabyte is the best, followed by ASUS and MSI. My current one is an MSI and its pretty amazing for a highend board.

Go with 8GB of RAM (2x4GB) it will cost a lot more but it will be better in the long term, make sure the motherboard has 4 DIMMS and can accept 16+GB later for upgrading. My personal favorite brand is GSkill, but you can never go wrong with Corsair and Kingston.

For a video card go big or go cheap and upgrade every 2-4 years. Go Nvidia they work better with Linux. I just picked up a GTX 460. It will probably last me 4 years of gaming. It cost about 200-240 depending on configuration but it will last a good while.

Please don't go clear case! If you want to see inside just get a case with a side window. Clear cases are usually flimsy, and are not well sealed and offer little for heat dissipation. And you will see every dust bunny!

Dont skimp on the power supply. buy a well known brand. Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, OCZ are some of the best.

As for support, when you build your own, each part will have it own warranty, so you will have to deal with the company that made it directly. Some are great, some are horrible check the reviews.
I think I'm buying from Newegg based on all the recommendations, thanks. Also when I meant translucent, I kinda meant with side windows, sorry for not being clear on that, and I am planning on salvaging power supply from my old one.
EDIT: Never mind, working aquarium computer is rather excessive.

earthpigg
July 22nd, 2010, 12:20 AM
I'll post this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport) because I use it as my bible of computer assembly.

For Video Cards and Wifi: If it ain't listed as 100%, I ain't buyin.

Intel91
July 22nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
Your budget is extremely important. Give me a number, and I'll point out the best equipment at that price.

mr clark25
July 22nd, 2010, 01:35 AM
i am doing something very similar! here is the link to my build: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1528285

mine is going to set me back about $700, which i find really good for what im getting.

cascade9
July 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
I am a moderate gamer, and I'm talking about an upper-mid range card, not a top of the line. No preference as far as brands go as long as it works; whatever has the most power for the least price.

The amount of choices you get has really dropped latery- nVidia dropped most of the GTX-2XX cards (newegg is down to a couple of GTX 260s and one GTX285). They arent exactly great performance for the price. The GTX 4XX cards eat a ton of power.

GTS250 or GT240 would probably be my choice, but that could depend on budget, what games you run, and if they are running in windows or linux.

I think I'm buying from Newegg based on all the recommendations, thanks. Also when I meant translucent, I kinda meant with side windows, sorry for not being clear on that, and I am planning on salvaging power supply from my old one.
EDIT: Never mind, working aquarium computer is rather excessive.

I'd be careful with using your current power supply. If its fairly big (450-500watts+) and a decent brand it should be fine.

I'll post this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport) because I use it as my bible of computer assembly.

For Video Cards and Wifi: If it ain't listed as 100%, I ain't buyin.

Mein gott, that list is very very old. It might be good for wireless, but I as for motehrboards/video cards, its a joke.

Intel91
July 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
I'll share this one resource with you guys: RESOURCE (http://www.yougamers.com/hardware/stats/3dmark06/priceandperformance/).

This gives you a benchmarked bang-for-the-buck breakdown on the latest equipment.

neoargon
July 22nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Will newegg ship to all over the globe? Or just to us and china?

CharlesA
July 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Will newegg ship to all over the globe? Or just to us and china?

Just US and Canada as far as I know. There are similar shops in Europe.