PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome login screen

Carlo1973
July 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM
Hey everyone, I know this is probably a very newbie question, but its come up out of curiosity when I decided to look at gnome-look.org

I've found some gdm themes, gdm login screens, etc and wanted to implement them on my laptop which is running Ubuntu 10.04(32bit)

I installed one that was in a .deb file, but when I rebooted I noticed nothing had changed. I took a look at the .deb file, and found where the files were being installed to. They appear to be installed to /usr/share/gdm/themes/<theme name>

When I entered that directory, I was greeted to a few graphic files, an xml file, and a file named GdmGreeterTheme.desktop. I have been trying to find information on how to install this properly. I've been following the guides but get stuck on one part each time. The part I'm getting stuck at is where they tell me to go to System > Administrator > Login Window.

I've not found this app on my installation of Ubuntu 10.04... Did somehow it get removed? I can't seem to find it in the repositories... The closest I've found was Login Screen, which gives me options for default grub settings, and if I want to have it auto-login to a specific account (which I don't), but nothing for setting up the the login theme or any themes for that matter.

Help on this would be nice, as I'm sure others have run into similar issues with either theming their Ubuntu installations or for tweaking the look to their own specifications.

I have got a lot of help from this guide, which I found through the ubuntuforums archives: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6786897/ubuntu_customization.tar.gz