PDA

View Full Version : DAW for the "Big 3" systems...?

theraje
July 21st, 2010, 02:55 AM
I'm looking for a good DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that has been ported to all three of the most common operating systems (Linux, Windows, Mac OS X) and is free. My reason? I am planning to write some tutorials on producing music for video games, and would like a DAW that is platform-agnostic, in as far as it will run on all of these major OS systems.

I am currently considering LMMS, as it's what I'm the most familiar with as far as DAWs that fit the aforementioned requirements. I think MusE works with all platforms, as well... I have some software that will run on all the platforms (called energyXT). I love energyXT, but it is not free, and I would prefer to use software that anyone can (legally) use.

I'm looking for a DAW that is compatible with SoundFont and Acidized WAV (as an aside, does anyone know if REX2 loops work with any of the available Linux DAWs?).

So, anyone have any suggestions? :)

forrestcupp
July 21st, 2010, 03:00 AM
I'm looking for a DAW that is compatible with SoundFont and Acidized WAV

Good luck with that. I think you're asking for too much.

theraje
July 21st, 2010, 03:06 AM
Good luck with that. I think you're asking for too much.

How so? They're both pretty common formats. I admit I haven't poked around much yet as far as compatibility, but I know for sure that SoundFont format is usable in several DAWs, and Acidized WAV is (from what I understand) compatible with many as well.

Is it the Acidized WAV part that is asking too much, then?

forrestcupp
July 21st, 2010, 03:26 AM
Is it the Acidized WAV part that is asking too much, then?

That's what I was thinking about. Are you wanting something that can take Acid loops and change keys and tempos and everything? I've looked for something other than Acid to handle those for a long time. If you find something, post it and let us know.

theraje
July 21st, 2010, 04:14 AM
Yeah, I gotcha. Seems about the best I can do with loops on the DAWs I've tried (LMMS, Ardour, etc.) is do a pitch-correct stretch, which sounds good, but that's about as far as it goes.

Still, this is just for tutorials to get people started making game music, so I suppose I won't go into the "finer" details of loops. :P

schtufbox
July 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM
Reaper it has windows and OSX native versions, the windows version is designed to run in WINE also.

Okay not properly native but it works :)