PDA

View Full Version : Apple posts record $3.25b profit in first full quarter of iPad sales

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 12:05 AM
Apple just posted up its third quarter earnings -- its first full quarter selling the iPad -- and, well, it's raining cash in Cupertino. The company posted a record profit of $3.25b on record revenues of $15.7b, which is up from $1.83b and $9.73b from a year ago. The big stat? Apple sold 3.27 million iPads, nearly matching the 3.47 million Macs sold -- and Mac sales were up 33 percent from a year ago to set a new quarterly record.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/20/apple-posts-record-3-25b-profits-in-first-full-quarter-of-ipad/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20011107-260.html?tag=topStories1

Nice income if you can get it.

Now where are all those who said iPad would be a big flop ?

Kdar
July 21st, 2010, 12:10 AM
iPad is not bad, I was thinking to buy one.

chessnerd
July 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM
Whenever a big hit film comes out, it brings in millions, maybe even billions of dollars. However, I always ask myself this important question: will my kids ever see it.

Classic films like The Shawshank Redemption, Die Hard, The Matrix, Ben Hur, Planet of the Apes, Star Wars, The Sixth Sense, and Rain Man come to mind as ones that I'm pretty sure I'll show to my children at some point.

Avatar, District 9, Juno, March of the Penguins and these other films that are really popular and cool when they first come out will likely be forgotten in 30 years. That is not to say that they are bad films, but they probably won't withstand the test of time. They just aren't like some of the great films that have lasted for 40+ years. No one in 2050 is going to say: "You know what we should watch tonight, that classic 2000s film: Avatar." I'm not saying that Avatar isn't a great film. I like it a lot, but it just doesn't feel like a classic. On the other hand, I'll be willing to bet that Star Wars will still have a decent following.

The iPad has been around for about 4-5 months now and has had a lot of success. Good for Apple.

The personal computer, on the other hand, has been going strong since the late 1980s and is now incredibly pervasive in homes and offices. My child will probably have a personal computer.

The question for the iPad is not: can it sell 10 million units. Yes, it can.

The question is: will my kid own one.

Time will tell.

_h_
July 21st, 2010, 12:52 AM
And how much of this profit is going to go towards something good? Most likely 0%.

The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

Phrea
July 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM
And how much of this profit is going to go towards something good? Most likely 0%.

Wb

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM
Whenever a big hit film comes out, it brings in millions, maybe even billions of dollars. However, I always ask myself this important question: will my kids ever see it.

Classic films like The Shawshank Redemption, Die Hard, The Matrix, Ben Hur, Planet of the Apes, Star Wars, The Sixth Sense, and Rain Man come to mind as ones that I'm pretty sure I'll show to my children at some point.

Avatar, District 9, Juno, March of the Penguins and these other films that are really popular and cool when they first come out will likely be forgotten in 30 years. That is not to say that they are bad films, but they probably won't withstand the test of time.

They just aren't like some of the great films that have lasted for 40+ years. No one in 2050 is going to say: "You know what we should watch tonight, that classic 2000s film: Avatar." I'm not saying that Avatar isn't a great film, I like it a lot, but it just doesn't feel like a classic.

The iPad has been around for about 4-5 months now and has had a lot of success. Good for Apple.

The personal computer, on the other hand, has been going strong since the late 1980s and is now incredibly pervasive in homes and offices. My child will probably have a personal computer.

The question for the iPad is not: can it sell 10 million units. Yes, it can.

The question is: will my kid own one.

Time will tell.

The market for Computing is changing and accelerating, the iPad will not have longevity like PC types of the 80's 90's etc had ,neither will other new devices as they come on stream. The market is just too fluid for that. Apple knows that as does MS , Acer Dell etc.

If Apple can sell 10 to 15 million they will be very very happy and then move on to the next product.

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM

My Dividend cheque ;)

Trust me that is something very good

Joe Ker1086
July 21st, 2010, 01:02 AM
Well our posterity wont necessarily see the iPad as it is now, but the whole tablet concept is certainly not going anywhere any time soon. Just like the iPhone, I am sure we will see multiple gens of the ipad. The idea behind the iPad with a "closed" operating system seemed kind of dumb to me at first. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized the market for such a device. I thought of getting one just for the (soon to come) Juniper support for VPNing into my computer at work. Being on call wouldnt tie a person down if they could VPN into their work computer using 3g. I myself, however, will be waiting for the release of HP's new tablet pc. Not the one running windows 7 but the one that will be running WebOS.

marshmallow1304
July 21st, 2010, 01:21 AM
The power of advertising...

McRat
July 21st, 2010, 01:34 AM
I think it proves that the current crop of smart phones have too small of screen. It's not like an iPad does a bunch of stuff that a smartphone cannot.

It would be clever to have a portable touch screen that would connect wireless to your smartphone. You have to carry a cellphone with a iPad anyhow.

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2010, 01:39 AM
My Dividend cheque ;)

Trust me that is something very good

Apple doesn't pay dividends.

alexfish
July 21st, 2010, 01:54 AM
Apple just posted up its third quarter earnings -- its first full quarter selling the iPad -- and, well, it's raining cash in Cupertino. The company posted a record profit of $3.25b on record revenues of $15.7b, which is up from $1.83b and $9.73b from a year ago. The big stat? Apple sold 3.27 million iPads, nearly matching the 3.47 million Macs sold -- and Mac sales were up 33 percent from a year ago to set a new quarterly record.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/20/apple-posts-record-3-25b-profits-in-first-full-quarter-of-ipad/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20011107-260.html?tag=topStories1

Nice income if you can get it.

Now where are all those who said iPad would be a big flop ?

I said it was brill, but also a rip off , the profits proved that ,Perhaps I'm Jealous , Cor Lucre

Still say TWO TIN CANS ARE BETTER THAN AN IPhone , that is proved beyond doubt

Developing a three tin can phone .Donations welcome .

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 02:01 AM
Apple doesn't pay dividends.

Not directly ,but the profit on the sale of shares pays dividends and some
Current price $US 251.89 add to that current exchange rates I can yield $NZ351.63 per share.

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 02:03 AM
I said it was brill, but also a rip off , the profits proved that ,Perhaps I'm Jealous , Cor Lucre

No one held a gun to the heads of those who purchased the products. they purchased them buy choice because they wanted to.

JDShu
July 21st, 2010, 02:15 AM
If I remember correctly, the general sentiment when the iPad was announced was that it would be successful regardless of whether it was a good product.

zekopeko
July 21st, 2010, 02:16 AM

People like you always make me laugh. Try telling that to some 50+ million iPhone user.

I'm sure they will agree with your eloquent assessment of the iPhone.

zekopeko
July 21st, 2010, 02:17 AM
If I remember correctly, the general sentiment when the iPad was announced was that it would be successful regardless of whether it was a good product.

No, it was "ZOMG!!! IT'S JUST A GIANT IPOD TOUCH!!!111! WHO WOULD BUY THAT?!!1!"

JDShu
July 21st, 2010, 02:21 AM
No, it was "ZOMG!!! IT'S JUST A GIANT IPOD TOUCH!!!111! WHO WOULD BUY THAT?!!1!"

Perhaps the two of us were looking at separate comments.

zekopeko
July 21st, 2010, 02:24 AM
Perhaps the two of us were looking at separate comments.

I think you were looking at comments from people that think everything Apple sells is pure marketing with little value.

McRat
July 21st, 2010, 02:56 AM
Anyone remember the Pet Rock? Sold millions upon it's release... :popcorn:

digitalcitizenx
July 21st, 2010, 03:04 AM
No one held a gun to the heads of those who purchased the products. they purchased them buy choice because they wanted to.

yeah - hot dogs!

Dr. C
July 21st, 2010, 03:20 AM
For those of you that are interested here is the chart for AAPL. http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AAPL+Interactive#chart2:symbol=aapl;rang e=my;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on; ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined Its P/E is at 21.35 high but not excessive. It has had some very good upward runs followed by some brutal drops. It is the kind of company that can do well in good times but if there is a double dip recession it will get hit hard real hard, because its products are "high end" and is the kind of thing people will cut back on in tough times.

For a bearish investor willing to bet on a substantial drop in the stock market this may turn out to be a very tempting choice for a short sale or a put option.

Just for the record I do not hold, directly or indirectly any position, long or short on AAPL

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2010, 03:26 AM
For those of you that are interested here is the chart for AAPL. http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AAPL+Interactive#chart2:symbol=aapl;rang e=my;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on; ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined Its P/E is at 21.35 high but not excessive. It has had some very good upward runs followed by some brutal drops. It is the kind of company that can do well in good times but if there is a double dip recession it will get hit hard real hard, because its products are "high end" and is the kind of thing people will cut back on in tough times.

For a bearish investor willing to bet on a substantial drop in the stock market this may turn out to be a very tempting choice for a short sale or a put option.

Just for the record I do not hold, directly or indirectly any position, long or short on AAPL

A P/E ratio of 21.35 is pretty damn high. Compare MSFT which is at 13.17. Apple's market capitalization is higher then Microsoft's at this point, even with less revenue and profit.

zekopeko
July 21st, 2010, 03:27 AM

Most tech companies wouldn't fare good in a double dip recession anyway. Apple has one of the largest money supplies so recessions aren't really their main problem.
But all of this is moot since they are reporting record profits in what appears to be a double dip recession.

Dr. C
July 21st, 2010, 03:47 AM
Most tech companies wouldn't fare good in a double dip recession anyway. Apple has one of the largest money supplies so recessions aren't really their main problem.
But all of this is moot since they are reporting record profits in what appears to be a double dip recession.

In the first dip AAPL went from the $200 range to the $82 range. We will see what the future will bring.

Directive 4
July 21st, 2010, 03:50 AM
yeah - hot dogs!

i do like hot dogs.

they are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiNZ http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9615050#post9615050)

oh and kiwi, it should be by, not buy,

totally different thing,

McRat Re: Apple posts record $3.25b profit in first full quarter of iPad sales

now there is a usb pet rock.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/c208/

my brother likes apple,

i've never really liked there stuff, but that's a moo point.

Dr. C
July 21st, 2010, 03:54 AM
i do like hot dogs.

they are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiNZ http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9615050#post9615050)

totally different thing,

my brother likes apple,

But the usb pet rock is not supported by the iPad

Directive 4
July 21st, 2010, 04:01 AM
But the usb pet rock is not supported by the iPad

yip, you got it,

dare to be different, and at the same time

loss support for the only thing that works on everything else!

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2010, 04:04 AM
yip, you got it,

dare to be different, and at the same time

loss support for the only thing that works on everything else!

I definitely prefer the Pet Rock over this iPad thing. The Pet Rock has excellent Ubuntu compatibility, and doesn't run out of battery power. And no one is going to sue you for using the Pet Rock "incorrectly", if you know what I mean.

Dustin2128
July 21st, 2010, 04:06 AM
they can buy what they want. It looks good but I'm not interested in any 'walled garden' device that I can't tinker with. I'll get one after they've been jailbroken, a linux distro on a thin multi-touch device would be interesting.

Directive 4
July 21st, 2010, 04:07 AM
The iPad err i mean (((Pet Rock((( phenomenon was an unbelievable experiment performed in the 70s by an advertising executive. The challenge: could he take a simple idea, market it, make people happy, and use it all to turn himself into a millionaire? The answer: yes. And . . .

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 04:15 AM
i do like hot dogs.

they are nice.

Quote:

totally different thing,

my brother likes apple,

yeah yeah and this is not an English class

Do you want help getting to one ? I can assist with that ;)

Directive 4
July 21st, 2010, 04:36 AM
yeah yeah and this is not an English class

Do you want help getting to one ? I can assist with that ;)

i know but, it always helps to use correct english, class or no.

and to answer your question, no i do not want any help to find an english class, however, thanks for your kind offer of assist.

BuffaloX
July 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM

Exactly.

It is sort of a giant Ipod, and many bashed several aspects and shortcomings of the Ipad, but I don't recall anyone claiming it would flop.

Personally I wait for something like the Notion Ink Adam to come out.
Pixel QI screen, twice the processing power of the Ipad, Linux/Android compatible, built in camera, SD card, etc. etc.

Johnsie
July 21st, 2010, 11:04 AM
They are good at making money, but they are certainly not good at making phones.

HappinessNow
July 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM
edit