PDA

View Full Version : BP caught photoshopping...

Sporkman
July 20th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Is a picture worth more or less than a thousand words if it's Photoshopped?

John Aravosis of AMERICAblog made an interesting find Monday night: A high-resolution image on BP's website of the troubled company's Houston-based Deepwater Horizon response command center had been altered.

The altered image was later removed by BP and replaced with what they say is the original (the altered image is above and the original is below)...

http://mit.zenfs.com/5/rsz_fakefakehive_houston-2.jpg

http://mit.zenfs.com/5/real_HIVE_houston01375.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100720/bs_yblog_upshot/bp-caught-using-altered-image-of-command-center

KiwiNZ
July 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM
To quote Shakespeare

"Much ado about nothing"

scouser73
July 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM
If this is a "Spot the difference" then I can only see that two monitors are offline, as KiwiNZ said "much ado about nothing"

Linux000
July 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Isn't that the same picture?

fatality_uk
July 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Two that have what looks like a scan line which could indicate that the shutter speed caught that and a fill flash obscured the other.

Sporkman
July 20th, 2010, 10:44 PM
To quote Shakespeare

"Much ado about nothing"

Given their current PR situation, minor indiscretions can be disproportionately damaging, so it is foolish of them to be careless with these sorts of things.

Merk42
July 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Given their current PR situation, minor indiscretions can be disproportionately damaging, so it is foolish of them to be careless with these sorts of things.

What should they have done?
I bet if they left the image as is, people would complain they weren't using every little resource to monitor it.

Sporkman
July 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM
What should they have done?

Not photoshopped it..?

I bet if they left the image as is, people would complain they weren't using every little resource to monitor it.

No.

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 12:19 AM
Not photoshopped it..?

No.

Thats silly , they were not doing anything covert simply fixing camera glitches something photographers do daily.

Some people need to focus on things that matter in this world more.

NMFTM
July 21st, 2010, 02:21 AM
Did anyone else notice on the lower most monitor to the right I see what looks to be a blue taskbar with a green button to the left. I guess they're running Windows XP. I must really be a nerd to look for and recognize that.

digitalcitizenx
July 21st, 2010, 03:00 AM
To quote Shakespeare

"Much ado about nothing"

I couldn't have said it better myself - much ado - ABOUT NOTHING! - right KiwiNZ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49c-_YOkmMU&feature=related) ?

digitalcitizenx
July 21st, 2010, 03:01 AM
Some people need to focus on things that matter in this world more.

You are reading my mind tonight.....

Timmer1240
July 21st, 2010, 03:15 AM
Havent they had enough problems let em doctor a few pictures jeese!

forrestcupp
July 21st, 2010, 03:17 AM
I'm more interested in the 3rd screen from the left on the bottom than I am the screens with scan lines. From this picture, you can't really tell what it is, but they felt like they needed to change it for some reason. I guess it could just be that the shot is washed out.

Some people need to focus on things that matter in this world more.But this is the off topic Cafe on some forum for Linux. What difference does it really make if we talk about something here that doesn't really matter? I thought that's what the Cafe was here for, anyway.

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 03:38 AM
I'm more interested in the 3rd screen from the left on the bottom than I am the screens with scan lines. From this picture, you can't really tell what it is, but they felt like they needed to change it for some reason. I guess it could just be that the shot is washed out.

But this is the off topic Cafe on some forum for Linux. What difference does it really make if we talk about something here that doesn't really matter? I thought that's what the Cafe was here for, anyway.

I wasn't referring to here , its the fus in the press and the tiz people are getting into.

uRock
July 21st, 2010, 04:40 AM
Havent they had enough problems let em doctor a few pictures jeese!
No they haven't. They are a company that needs to hurt for the half hearted work they do. http://www.change.org/petitions/view/stop_another_bp_disaster_shut_down_bp_atlantis

lisati
July 21st, 2010, 04:53 AM
Did anyone else notice on the lower most monitor to the right I see what looks to be a blue taskbar with a green button to the left. I guess they're running Windows XP. I must really be a nerd to look for and recognize that.

BP probably have a lot to deal with at the moment, and upgrading their OS would make an interesting diversion from cleaning up the mess.

I noticed a similar blue line and green button on a monitor for a machine in my local hospital two years ago. I had more pressing matters to worry about than catching malware while undergoing a checkup. Those cardiac workouts can be tough if you're used to sitting at your computer most of the day.

zer010
July 21st, 2010, 05:06 AM
No they haven't. They are a company that needs to hurt for the half hearted work they do. http://www.change.org/petitions/view/stop_another_bp_disaster_shut_down_bp_atlantis

I find this to be a terribly vengeful attitude. Who hasn't made a big mistake in their doings? Some in society are only interested in attacking those that they feel "deserve" destruction. It's the same attitude as those that go out and torch SUVs and let loose diseased lab animals into populated areas. Let those without sin, throw the first stone.

rollin
July 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM
Obviously the guy on the far right is running Windows :D The "cover up" is just to make it look like everyone's working...

Dayofswords
July 21st, 2010, 05:19 AM
All i can say:

Meh.

screen issues, who cares.. if they werent wanting to use it, they turn off the screen

zer010
July 21st, 2010, 05:21 AM
If they are using Windows, no wonder it's taken so long to come up with a fix for the situation! It's nigh impossible to do computer simulations when your computers are flubbed! :D

uRock
July 21st, 2010, 05:33 AM
I find this to be a terribly vengeful attitude. Who hasn't made a big mistake in their doings? Some in society are only interested in attacking those that they feel "deserve" destruction. It's the same attitude as those that go out and torch SUVs and let loose diseased lab animals into populated areas. Let those without sin, throw the first stone.
They are only taking chances with destroying our planet to make a dime. Nothing really important there.

Johnsie
July 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Most Americans don't even live near the area affected by the leak. This is much ado about nothing. If you want to be safe then limit your nations greed for oil. Hunger for oil has cost America dearly.

prodigy_
July 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
BP are professionals, so what did you expect? They know how to do deepwater drilling safely, of course they know how to photoshop without being caught.

Oh wait...

Swagman
July 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
3) Why does the meta data show that the photo was actually taken on March 6, 2001? Or is BP next going to tell us that their professional photographer has never set the time and date stamp on his multi-thousand dollar camera? Because then all of his photos for all of his clients will be screwed up. Really?

All this and the release of the Lockerbie bomber supposedly so BP could win a major contract in Libya

BP need to burn in hell

yossell
July 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
BP have better things to be doing than photoshopping.

In this case, maybe not such a big deal; in fashion, maybe not such a big deal; in advertising...ummm; in the supposed documentation of a serious event, nope. The casual use of photoshopping to disguise the reality, even if the photoshopper judges it to be innocuous, is a *bad thing* to be discouraged.

RiceMonster
July 21st, 2010, 01:16 PM
http://www.herdofcats.ca/files/images/attempting-to-give-a-damn.gif

forrestcupp
July 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
I wasn't referring to here , its the fus in the press and the tiz people are getting into.I get what you're saying. Obviously, it's going to hurt more for the ones of us who are closer to the problem.

Most Americans don't even live near the area affected by the leak. This is much ado about nothing.The thing about Americans is that if one part of us hurts, we all hurt. Sure, this leak directly hurts the people whose jobs depend on the gulf waters, but it indirectly affects us all. And we actually care about all the people in the fishing industry who have lost their jobs.

I don't live next to the starving and homeless people in Haiti. Does that mean I shouldn't give a darn about them?

If you want to be safe then limit your nations greed for oil. Hunger for oil has cost America dearly.I hear that a lot from people who aren't Americans. The thing is, those people usually live in countries with a far lower population than we have. I doubt if we're really using that much more oil per capita than any European country. It's just that we're a lot bigger and have a lot more people that are using the same amount of oil, but it adds up.

Indiana is similar in size and population to Switzerland. I'd like to know how much more oil Indiana uses than Switzerland. That would be a fairer comparison.

Sporkman
July 21st, 2010, 02:42 PM
I hear that a lot from people who aren't Americans. The thing is, those people usually live in countries with a far lower population than we have. I doubt if we're really using that much more oil per capita than any European country. It's just that we're a lot bigger and have a lot more people that are using the same amount of oil, but it adds up.

Indiana is similar in size and population to Switzerland. I'd like to know how much more oil Indiana uses than Switzerland. That would be a fairer comparison.

Here's the stats re electricity consumption:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_electricity_consumption

Here are some stats re oil consumption:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum#Consumption_statistics

uRock
July 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM
Most Americans don't even live near the area affected by the leak. This is much ado about nothing. If you want to be safe then limit your nations greed for oil. Hunger for oil has cost America dearly.
It isn't a matter of living near the spill. It is not America's fault that BP cuts corners for quarterly gain.

Helkaluin
July 21st, 2010, 02:58 PM
To quote Shakespeare

"Much ado about nothing"
The interesting thing is that 'nothing' would have been a pun - due to Elizabethan period pronunciation - for the word 'noting'. The quote therefore actually works in disregarding the importance of both the photoshopping and the media reaction.

Keith_K
July 21st, 2010, 06:18 PM
I would hardly consider credibility 'nothing' but I guess thats just me and my old fashion ideas.

Sporkman
July 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM
I would hardly consider credibility 'nothing' but I guess thats just me and my old fashion ideas.

+1

If not lack of credibility, at least exceptionally bad judgment & lack of respect for the gravity of the situation.

Penguin Guy
July 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM
From what I can see it's not any kind of trick, they're just improving the look of the photograph where the flash hid what was on the screen.

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM
From what I can see it's not any kind of trick, they're just improving the look of the photograph where the flash hid what was on the screen.

exactly!!!!

Imagine if the camera affect was on say all but one of the photos and they published that, all the conspiracy theorists would be tearing around like demented reef fish crying "what are they hiding"

They did what journalists do every day fixed a photo for the mass media for esthetics , thats all.

forrestcupp
July 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
They did what journalists do every day fixed a photo for the mass media for esthetics , thats all.

Actually, reputable journalists don't photoshop their photos. That is greatly frowned upon in journalism. There have recently been some people who lost their credibility for publishing photoshopped pics.

One example is the guy who was in Iraq and he didn't get a picture that captured the heart of what he saw there, so he photoshopped a couple of pictures together. That guy got trashed big time.

A reputable journalist photographer makes sure that he gets the right picture the first time. Photoshop is the standard for other lines of work, but not journalism.

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 08:54 PM
My work in IT (and Defence shhhhh) had me working closely with journos so I beg to differ

Keith_K
July 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM
My work in IT (and Defence shhhhh) had me working closely with journos so I beg to differ
http://www.10000words.net/2009/05/10-news-photos-that-took-photoshop-too/

Sporkman
July 21st, 2010, 11:07 PM
Another:

http://www.americablog.com/2010/07/bp-fakes-another-oil-spill-photo-this.html

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Or maybe they hid the Grassy Knoll , or the Apollo photo sets , or the Roswell Craft ;) :rolleyes:

cabbagepants
July 22nd, 2010, 12:05 AM

BP is a massive global company, why is it that only the U.S arm is consistanly in the poop? ask yourself that.

Sporkman
July 22nd, 2010, 12:06 AM
Or maybe they hid the Grassy Knoll , or the Apollo photo sets , or the Roswell Craft ;) :rolleyes:

If you can't differentiate between fantasy & reality, sure, why not.

The Apollo landing was faked, aliens were covered up, and BP never faked their photos. :) All true or all false.

uRock
July 22nd, 2010, 12:34 AM
BP is a massive global company, why is it that only the U.S arm is consistanly in the poop? ask yourself that.
Don't ask me, ask BP. Nobody here asked them to cut corners and there are no gas guzzlers in my driveway. Are you saying we should remove BP from our waters? I'd be glad to see a Middle Eastern company buy them out. The only time they waste oil is when we attack them.

forrestcupp
July 22nd, 2010, 01:10 AM
http://www.10000words.net/2009/05/10-news-photos-that-took-photoshop-too/

Thanks. Those are a lot of excellent examples of exactly what I was talking about. Some people may get away with it, but Photoshopping is extremely frowned upon in the journalism world.

cabbagepants
July 22nd, 2010, 01:23 AM
Don't ask me, ask BP. Nobody here asked them to cut corners and there are no gas guzzlers in my driveway. Are you saying we should remove BP from our waters? I'd be glad to see a Middle Eastern company buy them out. The only time they waste oil is when we attack them.

;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

The overwhelming number of oil spills in history belong to the U.S, BP sources local workers and companies, Transocean owned the deepwater rig and was in charge of the running and maintanance of lots of the vital equipment on deepwater.

The U.S government has quickly pointed the finger at BP to take away the spotlight on them regarding questions of outdated regulations.

The BOP that failed was U.S built (Cameron)
The cementing was done by a U.S firm (Halliburton)
The rig was operated by a U.S firm (Transocean)

Everything was contracted out to U.S people/companies.:o

Ask yourself why BP does'nt have problems when doing business with other nations.

Lightstar
July 22nd, 2010, 03:21 AM
It's funny because I don't know what BP means, ha ha ha.

I stopped reading after the first post.
If I don't know what it is about with the first post, the thread isn't worth reading.
But it's worth complaining. Yes!

Ric_NYC
July 22nd, 2010, 03:36 AM
I believe BP has a lot of money and can manipulate things... That includes photo manipulation... :)

AlphaLexman
July 22nd, 2010, 03:40 AM
Why does NO ONE complain when Nasa posts photos that are over-layed with infra-red layers, and x-ray layers, and say they are 'Photoshoped!'

The truth is is, we want to see the enhanced version of the raw data.

pwnst*r
July 22nd, 2010, 04:43 AM
The sky is falling.

pwnst*r
July 22nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
Why does NO ONE complain when Nasa posts photos that are over-layed with infra-red layers, and x-ray layers, and say they are 'Photoshoped!'

The truth is is, we want to see the enhanced version of the raw data.

BP....

NASA...

hmm...

lisati
July 22nd, 2010, 04:54 AM
If you can't differentiate between fantasy & reality, sure, why not.

The Apollo landing was faked, aliens were covered up, and BP never faked their photos. :) All true or all false.

And I am the universe!

Wait..... that's a code Mrs Lisati and I use when things are getting a bit much. :D

Sporkman
July 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Strike three!

http://gizmodo.com/5592836/bp-photoshops-another-official-image-again-terribly

:lol:

Pathological photoshopper, BP is...

KiwiNZ
July 22nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
who has an obsession ?

I hear they use fake sugar in their tea .. shocking ;)

forrestcupp
July 22nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Too bad they didn't think to just use this:

https://gouniversalproducts.com/adminpanel/fstore/103103WS_OIL_STOP.png

KiwiNZ
July 22nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
The time has come the Walrus said to think of many things....

I have photoshopped the open banner
so open , tis not
Worry not ,it does not matter
its done , its done its lot.