PDA

View Full Version : languages with least dead keys on US PC 104?

jfdill_2
July 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Which languages, besides English, require the least number of dead keys on a US PC 104 keyboard?

If there's a table somewhere showing languages vs. dead keys on a US PC 104 keyboard, that would be awesome.

I figured since I already have all of the dialog windows and menus memorized that it would be fun to play around with some different languages on my desktop. I think that Castellano would be a good candidate without too many dead keys, but I already have a fair working knowledge of the language. Esperanto might work.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

I generated a list from the available language packs for GNOME. As a first cut, I am going to exclude all languages that are not easily represented in the Latin alphabet.

Russian could be interesting, I have heard there is a method for writing Russian using the Latin alphabet with the addition of numbers and special characters that is popular for text messaging and the like--it was mentioned in "Ghost Country" by William Gibson.

Fantastic website http://www.omniglot.com/writing/langalph.htm#latin

There turn out to be about 16 locales that do not require the use of any dead keys on a standard US PC 104 keyboard when written with the Latin alphabet: Afar, Afrikaans, Cornish, Dutch, English, Indonesian, Interlingua, Kinyarwanda, Latin, Oromo, Northern Sotho, Southern Sotho, Tagalog, Tsonga, Xhosa and Zulu. The grammar and pronunciation of some of these languages are completely alien to me. So, I am leaning toward Dutch or Interlingua. Why? Why not?