PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows XP dual boot minor issue

Mattito
July 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hi there. I'm very new to Linux and completely new to Ubuntu, which I have just recently installed to run side-by-side with Windows XP.

I was wondering if anyone else had come across this minor niggle: following the installation, when I boot into Windows now I get an error message along the lines of, "Windows needs to check your disk(s) for consistency".

So far I've can aborted this disk check each time before it could start, which it allows you to do by pressing any key within a few seconds. I've done this for two reasons, firstly I've not had time to wait for a full disk scan, but secondly and more importantly I'm not sure if Windows might try to do something 'helpful' like repair that portion of the disk on which Ubuntu is installed (and currently working without a hitch!)

Perhaps I should just let the scan run once to resolve it, or perhaps that would cause problems for the newly installed OS? I'm using the current Ubuntu desktop version (32-bit), downloaded within the last few days (10.04 I believe).

mikewhatever
July 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
If you resized the Windows partition when installing Ubuntu, it is to be expected that Windows will ask to check it. Let it run the check when you have the time.

Mattito
July 21st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hi Mike, thanks for your help. I took your advice and let Windows do the scan, which only took a short time after all - obviously it didn't check the whole disk surface as I'd imagined it might.

Anyway more to the point: it now boots straight into XP without hassle, and the scan hasn't affected my ability to boot into Ubuntu at all, so I'm very happy indeed!