PDA

View Full Version : GNOME problems

pg1192
July 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Well, I hadn't used my netbook's ubuntu partition for a while. Yesterday, I went to it so it could share the wifi connection over ethernet with my desktop, but there are huge issues with the desktop. The internet sharing is still working fine. First, when the computer is booted into ubuntu, there is no login screen. It loads the purple light flares background, but there is never a login window or a session selection thingy at the bottom of the screen. If I boot into recovery mode, and start a prompt with networking, I can login and then use startx to get to the desktop. However, it's completely different - it's not the normal Ubuntu Netbook Remix desktop, with the menu on the left and icons on the right. That's not such a big deal, although I did prefer that desktop. There are a bunch of errors that applets could not load, and likewise the notification icons are missing from the top right of the screen. The most significant issue is that no programs will open. I can select them from the menu, but they don't actually open. I can only open the terminal. Is there a way to fix this problem without reinstalling ubuntu?

Thanks!