PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that flash ads are auto-playing unmuted all of the sudden?

bobbob1016
July 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I've noticed on a number of sites I go to with flash ads, that all of the sudden the ads are playing unmuted and I can't mute them until the end of the ad. I have adblock installed, but these are getting through. I have no problem loading the ad, since it helps the site to some extent, I just find it really offensive and an insult to me that I have loud MetroPCS (and other) ads playing randomly.

lovinglinux
July 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Use NoScript (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722/) and set it to block flash.

bobbob1016
July 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I do need flash for some things though, as in youtube and such, so I don't know if I want to block all flash.

lovinglinux
July 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I do need flash for some things though, as in youtube and such.

Unfortunately, who doesn't? :)

NoScript can add a placeholder, so you can easily click the flash content you want to play, while blocking all the rest.

For YouTube, you can also get my extension FlashVideoReplacer (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161869/), which allows you to watch videos with a less CPU intensive plugin.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
July 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM
NoScript can also add exceptions. www.youtube.com would probably cover your bases.

lovinglinux
July 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
NoScript can also add exceptions. www.youtube.com would probably cover your bases.

Indeed.

samalex
July 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'd suggest FlashBlock which targets Flash specifically.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

And yeah, I've found more sites throwing-up Flash videos that auto-start which is horrible, especially at 11pm at night when the kids are trying to sleep in the next room.

Sam

lovinglinux
July 20th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I'd suggest FlashBlock which targets Flash specifically.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

And yeah, I've found more sites throwing-up Flash videos that auto-start which is horrible, especially at 11pm at night when the kids are trying to sleep in the next room.

Sam

I have seen some posts complaining about Flashblock and I have experienced issues myself. NoScript is a much better option imo, after is not just flash that it blocks.

Robin_216
July 20th, 2010, 10:40 PM
It's also annoying if one of those ads starts playing in the middle of a lot of other tabs and you have to go find it.

nerdopolis
July 20th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I don't know what they think they are achieving by making ads that scares the /dev/null out of people... Like they think an ad startles someone, and they will go and buy from it.

The likelihood of that happening is the same as someone who survives getting thrown 30 feet down the road by a speeding ice cream truck limping up to buy ice cream from the same truck... (Marketing head:"we need to give our product more impact")

Same goes for ads that try take up any CPU cycle that it can get its paws on.

towheedm
July 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
I've noticed on a number of sites I go to with flash ads, that all of the sudden the ads are playing unmuted and I can't mute them until the end of the ad. I have adblock installed, but these are getting through. I have no problem loading the ad, since it helps the site to some extent, I just find it really offensive and an insult to me that I have loud MetroPCS (and other) ads playing randomly.

I believe this started happening for me after upgrading to the latest Flash player from the repos. Another thing with the latest version is that off-screen flash content use resources as if they were playing in the foreground, something the latest version was to correct. I truly believe it made it considerably WORST!

Even the one from the Adobe site does not work properly.

bobbob1016
July 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Well the other thing is I'm using Chrome mainly, and I have flash block installed, but I don't see a version of noscript.

aeiah
July 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
im using chromium and have had no problem with flashblock. you can whitelist sites, although i find its useful on youtube to keep flash blocked so i can open a load in tabs and they dont all start playing until i click on them.

lovinglinux
July 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Well the other thing is I'm using Chrome mainly, and I have flash block installed, but I don't see a version of noscript.

Sorry, NoScript is not available for Chrome.

Dustin2128
July 22nd, 2010, 01:30 AM
but of course, then how would he block the ample adds that now plague youtube?