PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Kubuntu changed my boot splash screen!

NewtoLinux13
July 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Everybody.

I recently installed my first distro, Gnome Ubuntu Linux 10.04 via WUBI dual-booting alongside my Windows.

I decided to try the other desktop environments. So I installed Kubuntu-Desktop (KDE) and Xubuntu-Desktop (XFCE) using Synaptic Package Manager.

However, Kubuntu KDE changed the boot splash screen into a from the default Ubuntu one, to the Kubuntu one.
Also Xubuntu XFCE changed the log-in screen to the Xubuntu one.

I DO NOT want these changes. I just wanted Normal Ubuntu-branded Ubuntu Linux with the option of logging in into the desktop environment of my choice.

Can anyone help me?

Please note: I am completely new to Linux.

PS. I am willing to reinstall Ubuntu if I have to.

MadCookie
July 20th, 2010, 01:20 PM
When you install in example, kubuntu-desktop, you install the whole kubuntu system, which means that it will also change your boot splash, as well as it may have changed your login screen (but I guess it asks before it does that).

Try to run the command below in the terminal (you can just copy and paste), and reboot. This will set the plymouth (boot animation) theme to the default one in Ubuntu. If you want to change the plyamouth theme to kubuntu's or xubunt's, just replace "ubuntu-logo" with "kubuntu-logo" or "xubuntu-logo".

sudo plymouth-set-default-theme ubuntu-logo --rebuild-initrd

If you get any errors, or if the plymouth theme doesn't change please tell what happens :P

NewtoLinux13
July 21st, 2010, 10:56 AM
Thank for your help.
I tried writing in the terminal (I copied and pasted your command)
Code:
sudo plymouth-set-default-theme ubuntu-logo --rebuild-initrd
But I then I got an error message:

sudo: plymouth-set-default-theme: command not found

Where did I go wrong?

NewtoLinux13
July 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hello.

I searched around about plymouth and found this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1440223) that says that the plymouth command changed or something.
Anyway I wrote a command I found in the post in the terminal:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

It put up a list which enabled me to choose a theme. I chose the Ubuntu default, restarted and... it worked!

Thanks for all your help.

Though I still have a Xubuntu logon screen, but I don't really care since I might uninstall Xubuntu since I don't think I really need XFCE.

Thanks again.

NewtoLinux13
July 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM
I searched around and found the solution to uninstalling the Xubuntu display manager logon screen that automatically came with my Xubuntu installation.
I simply uninstalled xubuntu-gdm-theme using Synaptic Package Manager.
So I guess I fixed all my problems, and am keeping KDE and XFCE.
So now I have Ubuntu with the ability to login in to the desktop of my choice. :)

NewtoLinux13
July 21st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Also, Thanks again MadCookie, I couldn't have done it without you. :)