PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can i install the b43 driver for my BCM4311 chipset?

sqvelasquez
July 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I really need help with this. I have been working with it and i just cant figure it out. Im a noob on working with command lines and linux in general. I run Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

I get this as my lspci output:
0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)

for iwconfig eth1 (which is my wlan card) i get:
eth1 IEEE 802.11 Access Point: Not-Associated
Link Quality:5 Signal level:215 Noise level:199
Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:116 invalid misc:0
Can anyone help?

lechien73
July 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I had the same problem, I'm just trying to remember how I fixed it!!

In System > Preferences > Software Sources, check the box that says "Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse)" and click "Close". Your repositories will update.

Then go to Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre. Search for, and install, the package named "b43-fwcutter". On my system b43-fwcutter was already installed, but I don't know if this was by accident or design :)

Now open a terminal window and type:

sudo modprobe -r wl
sudo modprobe b43

As far as I remember, that is the procedure I used. iwconfig now reports the correct values.

sqvelasquez
July 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
thanks! I already had b43-fwcutter so that saved some time. But when I put in the code, there was no output and when I checked the iwconfig, my card isn't even showing up

JackNocturne
July 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Ok so u have already b43 fwcutter,thats good. Are you trying to connect to your access point(router perhaps) or?

if that is the case then

iwconfig eth1 essid [Name of Access point] channel [Number of channel] key [WEP/WPA password if you have]then

dhclient eth1 this gives you an IP address

sqvelasquez
July 21st, 2010, 01:22 AM
I guess my real question is, how can i run my broadcom card without the STA Linux Wireless driver because im trying to run aircrack-ng so i can understand the types of wireless security better

lechien73
July 21st, 2010, 02:01 AM
thanks! I already had b43-fwcutter so that saved some time. But when I put in the code, there was no output and when I checked the iwconfig, my card isn't even showing up

Try going into System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and see if the drivers are there for activation. I installed it so that I could run ettercap, so I had the same problem - I just can't quite remember the full procedure I used to get it working!!

JackNocturne
July 21st, 2010, 06:50 AM
I guess my real question is, how can i run my broadcom card without the STA Linux Wireless driver because im trying to run aircrack-ng so i can understand the types of wireless security better

I have the same chipset as you ,and i know you can't run Aircrack-ng
without the wireless driver (Its written in the documentation) because you'll need to set up your wireless card in monitor mode so it can capture packets and inject.

so If you have every requirement,, test if injection works, remember to test it on your wireless network;)

aireplay-ng -9 -e [Name of AP] -a [MAC ADDRESS of the AP] -eth1-9 Means Injection Test
Note: -a is optional

The system will respond with injection is working, then you know everything is set to go.