PDA

View Full Version : NASA drops Ubuntu's Koala food for (real) open source

newbie2
July 20th, 2010, 09:28 AM
NASA is dropping Eucalyptus from its Nebula infrastructure cloud not only because its engineers believe the open source platform can't achieve the sort of scale they require, but also because it isn't entirely open source.

NASA chief technology officer Chris Kemp tells The Reg that as his engineers attempted to contribute additional Eucalyptus code to improve its ability to scale, they were unable to do so because some of the platform's code is open and some isn't. Their attempted contributions conflicted with code that was only available in a partially closed version of platform maintained by Eucalyptus Systems Inc., the commercial outfit run by the project's founders.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/20/why_nasa_is_dropping_eucalyptus_from_its_nebula_cl oud/
:rolleyes:

Johnsie
July 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Nasa was good back in the day, but they haven't really achieved much since the Mars Rovers. I find the ESA, Chinese and even the Brazilian space programs much more interesting.

Paqman
July 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM
they haven't really achieved much since the Mars Rovers.

Er, dude. That mission is still ongoing. One of the rovers conked out recently, but the other is still trundling about doing it's thing.

Plus missions like COBE/WMAP, the space telescopes and missions like Cassini/Huygens to the gas giants and their moons have made tons of cool discoveries. There's lots more good stuff in the pipeline too, like the SIM Lite planet hunting telescope.

afrodeity
July 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I sense another Mono-like scandal here.

betrunkenaffe
July 20th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I sense another Mono-like scandal here.

Thanks for starting it!