PDA

View Full Version : nUbuntu gunned down by Canonical?

towsonu2003
April 1st, 2006, 07:41 AM
see for yourself: http://www.nubuntu.org/

I'm like woa. Are we now going after the derivatives? But I'm confused... Should I be pissed off to the devel who just said "sure, I'm down on my knees!"; or to Canonical for sending cease and desist type stuff? Next thing you know, Linus will tell all distros to cease and desist...

seriously though, WTF??? ](*,) Really, wtf?

I wanna say "April Fools", but that's just stupid?

Edit: wtf

Edit2: Here is the forum link for this: http://forum.nubuntu.org/index.php?showtopic=79

joshuapurcell
April 1st, 2006, 07:54 AM
You can't believe anything you read/see on the internet on April 1. Take a chill pill and look into it again tomorrow if you care that much.

JoshHendo
April 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM
You can't believe anything you read/see on the internet on April 1. Take a chill pill and look into it again tomorrow if you care that much.
:P

towsonu2003
April 1st, 2006, 08:05 AM
You can't believe anything you read/see on the internet on April 1.
I'm just not really ready for this being an AprilsFool thing. It would be bad humor/taste and Canonical might even go after the devel (rightfully so, considering this is digged on digg.com, and possibly end up in Slashdot).

Anyway, I'm not dismissing the possibility. That's why I mentioned
I wanna say "April Fools", but that's just stupid? in previous post and that's why I mentioned the same in my post to their forum (link above):

I registered just out of surprise... and confusion... and frustration...

1. Is this AprilFools? If yes, not good humor... If no:

2. Why did you agree just like that? Canonical has no right to ask that, and you had no obligation to follow. Most they could ask is to change the name and remove references to "ubuntu" in the distro... Everything else is released under GPL (except restricted-modules) and they've gotta live with their original desicion now. Period.

3. Can you please post a copy of the exact message they sent you? Preferably with headers and everything. I am curious as what "bad name" you gave to their distro and I'd like to contact them and "congratulate" (read: complain) as a Ubuntu user...

4. If I were a nUbuntu user, I'd be pretty damn pissed by now... Unfortunately with both Canonical (80%) and you (20%)

5. and finally, wtf... no, really, wtf???

Someone's gonna end up screwed, but I wonder who? Chances are:

a. This is AprilFools and nUbuntu will get into trouble with Canonical (rightfully, for screwing up their professional reputation) and its user base (an AprilFools like that from Ubuntu, I'd be really pissed off)...

b. This is not AprilFools and Canonical will get into trouble (rightfully, for gunning down another distro) as well as the nUbuntu devel person (rightfully, for accepting this without any fight)...

Both ways, bad... Now I'm going to sleep. Maybe when I wake up, I will end up learning that the linux community can take on really weird jokes ;) that would be my second experience (after the screaming kernel update from Ubuntu devels -the one that was screaming "mommyyyy somethingsomething screwed my somethingsomethingelse!"), hence me getting used to this and shutting tf up ;)

dermotti
April 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM
Pfftt

http://xorg.us/e107_images/newspost_images/nudbuntu.jpg

towsonu2003
April 1st, 2006, 08:14 AM
maybe it's time for me to see a psychologist?

PS. hey, I like that Desktop thingy. that was cool of the devs.

TomB
April 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM
The wallpaper?

localzuk
April 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM
I think you just have to (puts on his best hippy voice) chill man. Just chill... I do not think Canonical will be worried - more likely having a laugh :)

It is obvious it is a fake as there is a further post asking for donations at the top of the page from after that time... If it had been told to shut down they wouldn't be asking for donations to continue now would they? :)

So Chill!!! It is funny.

towsonu2003
April 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM
The wallpaper?
yep (see I can relax :P)

I still think I should see I psychologist though. I'm starting to feel like a cat who drinks too much caffee.

And I still think it's not funny (not the wallpaper -which is nice and all-, the nubuntu thing).

It is obvious it is a fake as there is a further post asking for donations at the top of the page from after that time... If it had been told to shut down they wouldn't be asking for donations to continue now would they
I would. Money is money ;)

TomB
April 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM
It was submitted by a person who also submitted entries for our wallpaper competition :-)

towsonu2003
April 1st, 2006, 08:38 AM
It was submitted by a person who also submitted entries for our wallpaper competition :-)
So that's not the wallpaper that screwed up things around here a while ago? I know a nudist-ish wallpaper coming from the main repos "oops"ed some people, so I thought that was it... my bad.