PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can Ubuntu Desktop Be Installed on Server?

Lord Dark Star
July 20th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I have successfully installed Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop on two desktop PCs with no trouble at all. Recently, I acquired an IBM xseries 235 server (model 8671KAX). I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop on it after upgrading the RAM to 2 GB and replacing the CD ROM drive. The Ubuntu logo appears on the monitor, but that's all the further it will progress after 2-3 hours. Rebooting does not help.

I looked on IBM's website for some information, but all I can find there references either Red Hat or Suse linux, nothing on Debian or Ubuntu.

Is there some kind soul out there that can take this server green horn by the hand and lead me out of this wilderness I have created for myself?

Thank you very much!

Frank

cheapie
July 20th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I have successfully installed Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop on two desktop PCs with no trouble at all. Recently, I acquired an IBM xseries 235 server (model 8671KAX). I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop on it after upgrading the RAM to 2 GB and replacing the CD ROM drive. The Ubuntu logo appears on the monitor, but that's all the further it will progress after 2-3 hours. Rebooting does not help.

I looked on IBM's website for some information, but all I can find there references either Red Hat or Suse linux, nothing on Debian or Ubuntu.

Is there some kind soul out there that can take this server green horn by the hand and lead me out of this wilderness I have created for myself?

Thank you very much!

Frank

Try using the alternate CD. It might give you a little more information as to what is failing.

Mitchell Hale
July 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Are you using the same CD that worked before? A lot of times that same thing happens to me when I use a corrupted CD.

Also, this-

Try using the alternate CD. It might give you a little more information as to what is failing.

awi
July 20th, 2010, 06:23 AM

Thank you very much!

Frank
Does Suse and Red Hat installation instructions talk about IBM's hard disk controller?
In my experience with IBM and Dell servers, often they only provide propietary drivers for their controllers for those two linux server flavors. No Ubuntu driver as far as I know.

Lord Dark Star
July 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Are you using the same CD that worked before? A lot of times that same thing happens to me when I use a corrupted CD.

Also, this-

Thank you for your reply! Yes, it is the same CD that was previously used successfully. I also ran Ultimate boot CD which worked flawlessly so my guess is that it isn't an issue with the CD or with the drive.

Frank

Lord Dark Star
July 20th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Does Suse and Red Hat installation instructions talk about IBM's hard disk controller?
In my experience with IBM and Dell servers, often they only provide propietary drivers for their controllers for those two linux server flavors. No Ubuntu driver as far as I know.

Thank you for your reply! I do not know if red Hat or SuSE talk about IBM's hard disk controller, but that is an excellent suggestion. My preference is to use Ubuntu, but in looking through the x server forums on IBM's support site all I read is support is not available for Debian/Ubuntu. I think I'll fail back to a Windows product - darn it!

JP121
July 21st, 2010, 01:01 AM
Before you go back to Windows, try out Fedora or openSUSE. They are different then Ubuntu, but not really that much harder. Give them a try.

Lord Dark Star
July 21st, 2010, 04:09 AM
Before you go back to Windows, try out Fedora or openSUSE. They are different then Ubuntu, but not really that much harder. Give them a try.

Thanks JP! I'll look at Fedora and SuSE and bear your advice in mind. It's just so very frustrating sometimes trying to be 'different'.