PDA

View Full Version : Shell scripting/piping for c++ input

RocketmanOU
July 20th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I'm working on an automatic grading script to compile and run very simple c++ programs, enter some standard inputs and record the standard output to a file. Essentially, the programs I'm working with all require (in the exact same order) user input via cin >>, and output (text) results via cout <<. How can I get a shell script to execute the program, enter (serially) multiple input values, and still get the output? Thanks!

Bachstelze
July 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
No need for a shell script, this can be done directly on the command-line with a one-liner:

while read line; do echo "$line" | program; done

Ctrl+D to quit.

Bonus: you can have your input in a text file so you don't have to enter it repeatedly:

firas@tsukino ~ % cat input.txt
foo
bar
foobar
foobaz

firas@tsukino ~ % while read line; do echo "$line" | sed s/foo/goo/; done < input.txt
goo
bar
goobar
goobaz

MadCow108
July 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM
you may want to have a look at expect which is a tool to interact and test interactive programs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expect

trent.josephsen
July 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM
No need for a shell script, this can be done directly on the command-line with a one-liner:

while read line; do echo "$line" | program; done

Ctrl+D to quit.

Erm... Isn't that identical to

$ cat | program

Which, unless the program tests the type of its input stream, is the same as just

$ program

Redirection is as easy:

$ program <input.txt

Bachstelze
July 20th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Erm... Isn't that identical to

$ cat | program

Which, unless the program tests the type of its input stream, is the same as just

$ program

Redirection is as easy:

$ program <input.txt

No. In your version, the input is piped to the program in one block, while mine reads the input line-by-line, and pipes each line separately to a different instance of the program. Using the same file I used above:

firas@tsukino ~ % cat input.txt
foo
bar
foobar
foobaz

firas@tsukino ~ % cat test.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
char s[10];
scanf("%s", s);
printf("Input: %s\n", s);
return 0;
}

firas@tsukino ~ % cc -o test test.c
firas@tsukino ~ % ./test < input.txt
Input: foo
firas@tsukino ~ % while read line; do echo "$line" | ./test; done < input.txt
Input: foo
Input: bar
Input: foobar
Input: foobaz
Input:

Of course, whether you use one method or the other depends on how the program behaves (i.e. whether it accepts only one or any number of input lines). I understood the OP as saying input must be piped to the program one line at a time, but I might be wrong.

trent.josephsen
July 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM
*facepalm*

Of course, you're right. I was reading it as

while read line; do echo "$line"; done | program

which acts as I described. But then I interpreted the OP's request differently, which explains why I was expecting something else.