PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use linux?

jcer93705
July 19th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Okay, its od to see a guy say why are you doing this. Its one of my great friends and well i've been using linux since the 90's and recently i got a toshiba l505d gs6000 and got acpi working and dual core running with luci which took couple hours to get things working. He ask me why are you doing this. Well I do it because linux is fun, secured, its open source so its free and well i've been doing this since 90's.

Now my quetion is, why are you doing this using linux on pc/laptop. It's something i can show to a friend why we do this. It's a hobby for me too so. Cant wait to see you guys response. :popcorn:

lotuscribe
July 19th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I use Linux because I used to be a fan of Windows until I lost 4 years worth of work to a major system crash. The friend who helped me attempt to get my computer working again showed me the intelligence behind being a Linux user, and I did enough research to decide that he was right.

Ever since I began using Linux (about 5 days now), I have enjoyed every moment of being able to play around with it and experiment. Do I still know anything at all about it? No, not really. But that is not the important thing. The important thing is that I am having fun with it, it is safer, and the community acts as just that, a COMMUNITY, not a bunch of (in my experience) holier-than-thou types, simply because they know the answer to your question and it seems like Kindergarten-level stuff to them. The Linux community is more open (pun intended) and inviting than the rest. :p

Jazzy_Jeff
July 19th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I use Linux simply because it just works. I can customize the look anyway I want and there are so many programs out there to try out and have fun with. It is nice knowing that I can get on my computer and not have to worry about anything.

oldsoundguy
July 19th, 2010, 11:25 PM
It is faster, as easy to use as OS-X, maintenance free and virtually trouble free (do have to clean up once a month or so .. takes all of 5 minutes to do so.)
But a brain is required to adjust to the differences.
Something not required to use Windows.

staf0048
July 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Freedom, fun, security, and speed.

I'm a computer geek at heart and Windows has simply become too confining for my taste.

freebeer
July 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I use it whenever and wherever it is a better choice.

ronbrooks
July 19th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Well I started out a few years ago and it was because Windows was have a lot of trouble with their system. I got a copy of Ubuntu and just wanted to try it out. I was surprised that it worked OK but I had some trouble with some of the things on it.

I then found the Ubuntu forum and the people on their were real understanding and very help full. They are one of the main reasons that I have stayed with Ubuntu as I know if I needed help with anything there would be someone to help. Most times you can research your trouble and find the answer from someone else's post.

I still go to the forum as I did today and read some of the post and try to learn something about Ubuntu I find it very frustrating sometimes when you try and get something to work, but it is very satisfying when it dose work. THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THE FORUM.

wightghost
July 20th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I use linux (Ubuntu in particular) because it works the way I want and I don't have to spend hours on maintenance.

Over the past two days I've spent about 6 hours trying to get a friend's XP system running properly (loads of spyware, corrupted drivers and useless & unnecessary garbage installed along with other programs). I remember thinking that I was so glad I don't have to worry about any of that with Ubuntu. I switch on the computer, it loads up and off I go.

My congratulations and heartfelt thanks go to the developers and the community for a great OS :D

fatalfurry
July 20th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Because I'm cheap and I don't want to steal.

Plus it gives me more tools to do want.

jcer93705
July 20th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I use linux (Ubuntu in particular) because it works the way I want and I don't have to spend hours on maintenance.

Over the past two days I've spent about 6 hours trying to get a friend's XP system running properly (loads of spyware, corrupted drivers and useless & unnecessary garbage installed along with other programs). I remember thinking that I was so glad I don't have to worry about any of that with Ubuntu. I switch on the computer, it loads up and off I go.

My congratulations and heartfelt thanks go to the developers and the community for a great OS :D

Amen, great thanks for ubuntu developer and comunity. Ive been using linux but until window 7 beta was out i tested'em and actually addicted to window 7 microsoft did a awesome work on it but i still have alot of love for linux and microsoft will not ever take away that from me. :p.

I love linux, its free, its more secure then windows, you can leave a server running for many years without shutting down. Window os if you're a server tech or just a regular user you have to always patch up because like ms blaster, i didn't patch in that time and guess what ms blaster (worm) totally ruin my damn computer and rest of my computer on the network with ms os in that time. There is what 95 percent of people running window ofcourse hacker is going after them instead of linux, unix, or mac os. Linux offer a lot and its hard for me to explain for this minute because damn offer so alot i can keep on talking and talking what it offer me but you guys got my point. So much free application aren't we spoiled of open source software? I am.

spcwingo
July 20th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I use Linux because I didn't like the way that Windows was going. Boy, am I glad that I found it now...I actually USE my computer now instead of FIGHT it. :)

cariboo
July 20th, 2010, 04:22 AM
This really isn't a testimonial or an experience. Moved to the Cafe.

Dustin2128
July 20th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Open source, stability, openness (change anything you want), security, usability, ect. That and the fact that it ups my geek credit 8)

MasterNetra
July 20th, 2010, 05:01 AM
+1 to security, customiblity, free (as in both beer and speech).

While I agree windows 7 is MS's best release yet. I still have my grumbles with it (such as its lengthy shutdown time). But Ubuntu still pwns it overall.

utnubuuser
July 20th, 2010, 05:39 AM
What's a Linux?

Linux000
July 20th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Opensource, free(price), much faster than windows, compatible with my old hardware(I have two computers with Pentium 1's clocked at a whopping 133MHz, that still run graphics thanks to linux) very customizable, secure, updates come fast, bash, nice interface(I guess thats an ubuntu thing), stable, I could gone on for a while.

juancarlospaco
July 20th, 2010, 05:47 AM
What?, there are other operating systems beside LiGNUx and BSD?

JustinR
July 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I started toying with Linux (Slackware) around 6 years ago when I was like 9 - I was so new, it took me like half and hour to figure out how to put the ISO image on a CD! My interest waned for a few years after that though.

I started really using Linux just last year, specifically Ubuntu full time because of its usability, customization, support (especially Community Documentation). But what really caught me was that most people who use Linux are people who want to customize their computer - use it to its full extent - basically that means if I have a problem there's usually somebody else who has has that same problem, I know that I'm where I belong when I use Ubuntu.

My laptop (Dell Inspiron 1720) worked out of the box except I needed the Broadcom STA driver which was already on the Ubuntu Live-CD disk - this is the second reason I use it - full compatibility.

I also use it, although not specific to Ubuntu, because the Linux Kernel contains drivers for everything I've used, the only thing that it didn't have was my Manhattan USB tablet and all I had to do was install a driver through the repository - with help from the community documentation!

Windows Vista (preloaded on my laptop), even with a clean install, takes around twice as long to boot as Ubuntu and took 10 minutes to shutdown today for no apparent reason - Ubuntu never does that. But I suppose Vista is 4 years old now.

I also love that Ubuntu is open source, its stable and customizable, and very secure.

MasterNetra
July 20th, 2010, 05:51 AM
What's a Linux?

A Kernel technically but I believe what the OP is asking is [Why do you use a Linux-based OS?]*

ov3rcl0ck
July 20th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Linux is more customizable, so its willing to change to my needs, as often as my needs may change.

Linux is also a better platform for development, IMO. Develop something for Linux and its simple to port it to Windows, however vice versa isn't so easy.

Linux is free, and open source. I don't know about you, but I need everything working the way I want it, I need to be able to pick my system apart and built it to my feel.

Linux is more secure, more actively developed, and more stable. My system never crashes, unless I'm trying out crazy new beta drivers that rely heavily on reverse engineering to make. I've never had anything security wise go wrong while using linux, ever.

I use Linux/UNIX(I'll use BSD on some servers) on servers because you can trim it to a lighter weight, iptables it awesome, more secure platform.

The Linux developers/community, or companies contributing to linux doesn't have harsh software patents or a restricting license.

Package managers are a lot easier than having to go download software and cross your fingers hoping its not something malicious. And its WAY WAY easier to type a simple command to update all the software on your system, rather than going through each piece of software and having to use its builtin update feature, or having to download the new version and install it by hand; lets face it theres a lot of software on most systems, and if you run windows you'll probably have a lot of out of date software.

Khakilang
July 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I like using Linux because there is a lot of no's. No activation, no product key, no registration, no virus, no spyware, no malware, no defrag, no scandisk, no cleanup, no need to pay, no worry about license, no crash and the no's list goes on.

jcer93705
July 20th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Since linux is so advance now look at android based phone, soon you will see netbook with andoid os and WHAT? THEIR USING LINUX KERNAL!!! Caugh linux, like it or not you're phone would soon run linux and it will slam dunk iphone. But since its open source we'll see alot of linux developer creating apts on android based phone. I wunder if we're gonna have a phone that we can program our favorite linux dist os on our phone in the future? :)

gemmakaru
July 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I use Linux because I like it. Because it is a pretty good way of getting my hardware to do stuff.

nothingspecial
July 20th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Because it was what was on the stupid computer when I got my first one.

renkinjutsu
July 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I use linux because i'm OCD about bloat... Actually, i didn't use to have this problem.. it's one of the side effects of using linux.
it's recursive... like circular dependencies

RiceMonster
July 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Because it's a flexible Unix-like system, and I prefer it to Solaris and BSD (especially on the desktop). Out of those choices, it has the best hardware support, and has much better options for package managers. I like that it gets new features a lot faster as well.

Groucho Marxist
July 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I was tired of being treated as a criminal when I was doing everything "by the book."

I like the idea of being part of a community rather than a consumer base.

I feel that a good operating system is like a good relationship; it's based on an explicit dedication to openness and clear communication between the parties involved.

rg4w
July 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
As an end-user I choose Linux because it gives me an excellent, secure Unix-like OS that I can run on my choice of hardware at the unbeatable price of free.

As a developer I choose Linux because, for the reasons noted above, I see it as a major player in emerging markets around the world.

samwho
July 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I was recommended to try Linux when I started really getting into programming because, obviously, Linux is open source and it's a tinkerer's wet dream ^_^

The reason I stick with it is mainly the freedom (both as in free speech and free beer ^_^). There's no sneaky Terms and Conditions, nothing to pay, nothing to adhere to apart from the absolutely fantastic GNU GPL :) Which essentially encourages you to mess around with the code and see what you can do!

I totally love it.

Lucifer The Dark
July 20th, 2010, 03:10 PM
It's not Windows.
It's not Mac.
There's a HUGE supportive community that actually gives workable answers to problems 99% of the time.
If I choose to do a full reinstall of the system I don't have to phone someone to get permission to do it.
I can easily roll-back problematic updates without having to reinstall the entire system or jump through 100 hoops to do it.
IT'S FREE!!!

Junkieman
July 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM
* I like tinkering
* A real sense of community
* bash, so much cooler than cmd.exe ;)
* I love that I can read a change list of what the updates include
* Live CD's
* People like me can help make it better :D

aviedw
July 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I use linux for all my computing needs accept for my teaching software. Im not much of a gamer but i do keep my self entertained with World of Goo, DreamChess and Chromium. I works very well on my aging system. Im still using regular ddr ram with a regular pci graphics card. I love that it doesn't force me to upgrade my hardware.

panopticon
July 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
My computer.
My way.
My freedom.

Bapun007
July 20th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I can make it look like a ugly devil or a beautiful fairy . So i use

Stan_1936
July 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
.........a beautiful fairy....

You should post some pics of "her". NOW!

Bapun007
July 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
You should post some pics of "her". NOW!

Sorry here i m facing 16 hour powercut per day and not start pc from 5 days . Now i m browsing by mobile . But lets me try .

Frogs Hair
July 21st, 2010, 01:13 AM
Linux is in constant of state change , there is always new software and themes to try . The only thing new I have to look forward to with my W7 is security updates and IE 9 .

chessnerd
July 21st, 2010, 01:20 AM
Mark Shuttleworth and his cronies have been threatening my family. If I don't use Ubuntu and Linux regularly they will harm them, so I've been forced to use it. In fact, that is how most people come to know Linux, they just don't like admitting it on the Forums here.

It's okay guys, you aren't alone. ;)

Seriously, though. I use Linux because it's fast, free, secure, powerful, and fun. It does what I need and nothing else. Also, the power and control I have over it is pretty amazing...

So, why do I use Linux?

As the Emporer shouted to Mace Windu in Episode III as he used force lightning on him: "UNLIMITED POWER!!!"

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2010, 02:11 AM
Because it is the best operating system. :)

linuxyogi
July 21st, 2010, 02:13 AM
Almost Spyware/Virus/Trojan Free.
I have tried 3 other linux distros.
Ubuntu is the best.:lolflag::lolflag:

jroa
July 21st, 2010, 02:31 AM
I had a friend several years ago who praised Linux as the best thing ever. Then I would hear him tell me his war stories about getting devices and drivers to work and I decided to stay away, although I was still curious. I finally downloaded DSL not too long ago and was not very impressed with it, but now I know that DSL is not meant to be impressive, it is just Damn Small.

I actually seriously began to consider Linux because I started going back to school and I saw that Unix was part of the core curriculum for my major. I was also going to be taking networking classes and sure enough, Unix was taught in them too. I wanted to have some experience before taking the classes and I also wanted to be able to practice what I learned on my home computer. So, I broke down and down loaded Fedora, just because I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Fedora was the easiest distro to learn for someone who knows windows. I now have Fedora and Ubuntu and I don't think that either one is any easier to relearn than the other, but I have fun playing with both.

I am sticking with a dual boot for now. I may go full Linux in the future, but I am still having issues with Ubuntu and there are still things that I have not figured out how to do, like viewing Active X presentations and other multi-media for some of my classes. If I can ever do everything on Linux that I can do on Windows, I may scrap Windows and use Linux as my one and only operating system. Until then, I boot Ubuntu most of the time, but still have to switch to Vista every once in a while.

I am not a programmer and I was a little apprehensive about Linux at first, but I now see that it is not as bad as I thought and I am picking up a little more knowledge everyday.

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2010, 02:34 AM
I had a friend several years ago who praised Linux as the best thing ever. Then I would hear him tell me his war stories about getting devices and drivers to work and I decided to stay away, although I was still curious. I finally downloaded DSL not too long ago and was not very impressed with it, but now I know that DSL is not meant to be impressive, it is just Damn Small.

I actually seriously began to consider Linux because I started going back to school and I saw that Unix was part of the core curriculum for my major. I was also going to be taking networking classes and sure enough, Unix was taught in them to. So, I broke down and down loaded Fedora, just because I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Fedora was the easiest distro to learn for someone who knows windows. I now have Fedora and Ubuntu and I don't think that either one is any easier to relearn than the other, but I have fun playing with both.

I am sticking with a dual boot for now. I may go full Linux in the future, but I am still having issues with Ubuntu and there are still things that I have not figured out how to do, like viewing Active X presentations and other multi-media for some of my classes. If I can ever do everything on Linux that I can do on Windows, I may scrap Windows and use Linux as my one and only operating system. Until then, I boot Ubuntu most of the time, but still have to switch to Vista every once in a while.

I am not a programmer and I was a little apprehensive about Linux at first, but I now see that it is not as bad as I thought and I am picking up a little more knowledge everyday.

You may want to look into Wine or virtualization.

Merovius
July 21st, 2010, 02:42 AM
Life is too short for the amount of time I spent trying to fix my friends and families computers. At first it was a fun challenge. Every year it got worse with spyware, malware, virus's etc, etc, etc.

I converted to Ubuntu and over the last three years I have introduced a half dozen others to it. I spend almost no time helping them fix their systems. They just work. Nuf said.

jroa
July 21st, 2010, 02:48 AM
You may want to look into Wine or virtualization.

I have heard a lot of people talk about wine. I know it is on my system, but I have not had time to play with it. Too much time spent on school and work, but I will look into it as soon as I can.

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2010, 02:56 AM
I have heard a lot of people talk about wine. I know it is on my system, but I have not had time to play with it. Too much time spent on school and work, but I will look into it as soon as I can.

I know you can run IE6 and many ActiveX controls on Wine. If Wine doesn't work, virtualization most likely will. Virtualization is quite literally running Windows on Linux.

Timmer1240
July 21st, 2010, 03:04 AM
If you want to become an expert at cleaning up and securing malware infested computers Windows has taught me that!If you want to have fun enjoy and learn new and better ways of doing things on the computer Linux is teaching me that!My years with windows was one battle after another trying to keep it running right Linux on the other hand no problems since day one its been awesome!Im still fixing Other peoples window machines they have no Idea what to do when their buggered up funny I do!Ubuntu has cured mine!

jroa
July 21st, 2010, 03:13 AM
I know you can run IE6 and many ActiveX controls on Wine. If Wine doesn't work, virtualization most likely will. Virtualization is quite literally running Windows on Linux.

I found a version of IE6 that was made for Linux. I am on Vista right now, so I can't remember exactly what the application was called. But, it would not run the AcriveX controls that I needed it to.

I have not tried to run IE6 on Wine yet, but I will hopefully be able to give it a try soon.

I will have to look into vitalization as well. I have run Linux on my Windows OS using MS Virtual PC, but it was kind of hit and miss. Some distros worked, but most that I tried did not. I would like to give it a try on Ubuntu, only the other way around this time. Do you have a suggestion for an application?

Timmer1240
July 21st, 2010, 03:40 AM
I found a version of IE6 that was made for Linux. I am on Vista right now, so I can't remember exactly what the application was called. But, it would not run the AcriveX controls that I needed it to.

I have not tried to run IE6 on Wine yet, but I will hopefully be able to give it a try soon.

I will have to look into vitalization as well. I have run Linux on my Windows OS using MS Virtual PC, but it was kind of hit and miss. Some distros worked, but most that I tried did not. I would like to give it a try on Ubuntu, only the other way around this time. Do you have a suggestion for an application?
Try Wubi http://wubi-installer.org/

phrostbyte
July 21st, 2010, 03:43 AM

I think Virtualbox is pretty good.

Dustin2128
July 21st, 2010, 04:14 AM
as the emporer shouted to mace windu in episode iii as he used force lightning on him: "unlimited power!!!"
+∞

maddbaron
July 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM
I like the freedom of it. google has instant answers and new stuff is found everyday...i hope one day to be able to use tax prep software so i can drop windows forever, i'm not a fan of online tax prep and i use turbotax.

hopefully one day that gets resolved and someone writes a program for novelists that is native to linux and works better than writer in openoffice... dual booting can be annoying sometimes especially since ubuntu is my main os now.

zer010
July 21st, 2010, 05:17 AM
I started using it just as a "Let me see what this is like." type thing. When I first booted up Ubuntu, I was a little intimidated at first. Then I found ubuntuforums and started experimenting with using the OS. It didn't take long to realize that most of how I did stuff on Windows was terribly inefficient. Point-click-wait, point-click-wait. After scratching the surface of the terminal, I began to see what real user-power was. Since then, using Windows is such a hassle, constant cleaning of junk files followed by the endless task of defragging. Going "out" to find software that I need. I'd rather swallow a teaspoon of salt and sniff ammonia while kicking a brick wall than deal with Windows for more than 30 minutes! :lolflag: