PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need help plsz

abuid
July 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM
So i decided to install Ubuntu on a system i installed it.
I went to install windows back on my machine,but the gnu grub thing is stopping the xp installation cd from booting.
I have looked through many forum pages and had no luck,the only things i could find where fixes for machines that had dual boot setups,this is not my case, i have nothing installed on the system except for Ubuntu and i am completely stuck, somebody can help me plsz...

RavensKrag
July 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Did you double check you BIOS to make sure you can boot the XP CD? I have dual-booted many times now and have never had this problem. Yes, I know you said you do not currently have a dual boot setup.

Are you trying to achieve a dual boot system are you returning to Windows? For future reference, it is better to install Windows first when performing a dual boot setup, and then install Linux next to it.

But this is because the Windows bootloader doesn't play nice with Linux. I have not heard of a case where the opposite problem occurs.

Of course if I made the wrong assumptions I suppose you could ignore all of that ^_^;

Megaptera
July 19th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I know this refers to Ubuntu 8.04 but thought it might be of some help?

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm

RavensKrag
July 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Again, are you sure this is a GRUB problem? If it is, you should be getting some kind of error screen. It would be a black screen with a little bit of text on it. Something really basic like...

Error 17

Or something like that. It would be helpful if you could describe exactly what you are seeing happen.

leclerc65
July 20th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Maybe it's less complicated to redo the installation: Install Windows first, then Ubuntu second.