PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange crashes.

dragos240
July 19th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I have been experiencing some system crashes lately, which I suspect the Nvidia driver is at fault, by default, ubuntu uses the non-free nvidia drivers, can I use the open source nvidia ones?

dragos240
July 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
Bump

robert shearer
July 21st, 2010, 11:12 AM
Oh, ..is this like one of those "knock,knock jokes" where we say

"What card ?" ;)

Cheers, Bob :)

dragos240
July 21st, 2010, 11:14 AM

TBABill
July 21st, 2010, 11:31 AM
Could be the opposite actually. Ubuntu will never install a proprietary driver without you instructing it to. It defaults to open source drivers and then prompts you that drivers are available, if it detects you have a card supported by a proprietary driver. If you did go through those steps, then yes you can revert to the right open source driver for your card (Nouveau?).

You'll need to post a bit more info about your card and current driver for assistance getting there though.

dragos240
July 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
Could be the opposite actually. Ubuntu will never install a proprietary driver without you instructing it to. It defaults to open source drivers and then prompts you that drivers are available, if it detects you have a card supported by a proprietary driver. If you did go through those steps, then yes you can revert to the right open source driver for your card (Nouveau?).

You'll need to post a bit more info about your card and current driver for assistance getting there though.

In hardware Drivers it says the license is proprietary. Should I uninstall the driver, and install the open one and reconfigure X?