PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever tried to middle click to copy or alt+click to move a window in OSX/Win?

murderslastcrow
July 19th, 2010, 06:39 AM
This happens pretty much every time I touch a computer with one of those OSes on it. I try to use something I thought was universal since it works on every DE I use in Linux, but it turns out OS X and Windows haven't quite figured it out yet.

Alt+clicking to move windows has been around for FOREVER! What's the deal? They even have alternate applications to enable this. Maybe there are keybindings in applications where Alt+Mouse means something else? I dunno', it's just so convenient.

On another note, even with top speed on OS X's effects, KDE feels faster on just fast mode. KDE 4's the heaviest thing we've got and it reacts better on the same computer running from a USB than OS X does. Like, every time I see that spinning rainbow wheel I feel odd.

I wonder if Apple will ever sell Aqua as a DE you can install on another system. O,O That'd be interesting. Totally off-topic comments on OS X there, but have you ever been using another OS and used a key command or something for convenience and then something completely different happened and you face-palmed? I must admit, I've tried to use the compiz cube in Windows a few times and really screwed with what I was doing. XD

undecim
July 19th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Yes. I do this all the time.

I often think that if I were Microsoft, I would make alt+click close a Window.

* Steve Ballmer: HA! Take that, you Linux commies! That will teach you for dual booting *

Legendary_Bibo
July 19th, 2010, 08:41 AM
alt+click doesn't do anything for me. What is it supposed to do?

Yes I actually miss the wobbly windows when using Windows, for me I have it set where I can kind of throw the windows a bit. It feels natural. With windows it's like sliding a brick still.

I just wish windows implemented the multiple workspaces thing already. What's so hard about that?

markp1989
July 19th, 2010, 09:59 AM
i done it, the amount of times i have tried to middle click to paste is mental

undecim
July 19th, 2010, 10:05 AM
alt+click doesn't do anything for me. What is it supposed to do?

*SNIP*

Alt+click+drag will move a window in most Linux DEs, even if you don't click on the title bar.

Legendary_Bibo
July 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Alt+click+drag will move a window in most Linux DEs, even if you don't click on the title bar.

OMG! I can grab fire fox by its belly button now!

Lucradia
July 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
OMG! I can grab fire fox by its belly button now!

Just so you know, this is a window manager feature, NOT a DE feature.

Regardless, don't submit a bug report for the conflict between it and GIMP's alt+click shortcut for some of its tools, they'll tell you:

A.) It's not GIMP's fault, it's the window manager fault. (GIMP bug report.)

B.) It's not the window manager fault, youneed to set your shortcut keys differently. (Metacity bug report)

C.) Invalid. (Compiz bug report) They'll tell you it's a conflict between Metacity and GIMP, and has nothing to do with compiz (which is true.)

Giant Speck
July 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM
No, but I do occasionally try to scroll unfocused windows.

I have WizMouse installed on my home computers, so I don't have a problem with it at home, but when I'm at work or using a friend's computer, I don't have that advantage.

Barrucadu
July 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I often try to highlight/middle-click and it always takes me a few seconds to realise why it didn't work.

spupy
July 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Yes, and I try to alt+right click to resize them.
I found an AutoHotKey script that enables these actions, and I keep it on my USB drive at all time.

NightwishFan
July 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Even worse is when you get used to the Ubuntu (meta) key launching the Activities view in the Gnome Shell and when you switch back to metacity it no longer does. Then I always ALT+F2 gnome-shell -r :)

PuddingKnife
July 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM
All the time :(

I use Chrome, so I do a lot of highlight > middle click to paste > middle click on new tab button = instant Google search. Or, if you're highlighting a URL, middle clicking the new tab button automagically takes you to the site.

Its something Ive grown quite accustomed to, but I always fail at realizing I cant do this in Windows. Silly work desktop, why cant you be as cool as my system at home?? :)

RiceMonster
July 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Alt+left click to move a window, alt + right click to resize, and especially scrolling unfocussed windows are ones that I do a lot.

conundrumx
July 19th, 2010, 07:38 PM
The pasting functionality is nice, but the thing I couldn't live without was Alt+Click. I've got alternatives on both my Mac and Windows machines.

Penguin Guy
July 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I'd forgotten about middle-click, thanks for reminding me.
Click. Click. Click. Click. :D

murderslastcrow
July 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I just learned about Alt + Right Click from this thread. Why is it so freakin' useful!? D:< Screw you Linux, I feel way too comfortable using you. *shoves Tux in a drawer to reflect on his coolness*