PDA

View Full Version : Best Portable Music Player?

kfox112
July 19th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a new portable music player, and I'm hoping for some opinions on the best, linux-friendly music player. I'm going to be using this in my car mostly, so I'm still trying to decide whether I want a touch screen or something with buttons that I can feel. My driving may be impacted if I have to constantly look down when a song I don't feel like listening to comes on. ;) At the same time, it would be cool to have an media player with a wifi connection and browser. IDK

I'm not anti-ipod, but I'm not a fan either. ITunes is horrible. I've never met a piece of software I've hated more. I thought about the Zune, but it looks like linux and the Zune don't really get along at all. I have windows 7, so it wouldn't be a problem. I just don't like the way Microsoft intentionally makes that device impossible to use with linux. Someone mentioned the Sony Walkman. I just don't know anything about them.

Thoughts? :)

PS: If this post is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. I wasn't sure where to put it really.

-Kyle

tmette
July 19th, 2010, 02:57 AM
My only experience is really with iPods. I'm no Apple fanboy at all,..but they really hit the nail on the head for an mp3 player. I've been using Rhythmbox and my iPod Touch for a couple of months and it seems to work fine. The support for the iPod on Linux is just going to get better and better throughout the next couple of years.

Someone else might be able to recommend something better though.

mrufino1
July 19th, 2010, 05:31 AM
I have a rockboxed ipod video 80gb, and it is really good. Rockbox definitely has its quirks, but you get used to it and it is linux friendly. My kids have the sandisk fuze and that is most definitely linux friendly (native ogg support). The new archos players look cool if you're looking for touchscreen, but I don't know how they are with linux. They also support ogg though.

AvixK7
July 23rd, 2010, 02:50 AM
I also use a Sandisk Fuze. Great player, plays Ogg, good sound quality, mounts without issue.

rotwang888
July 23rd, 2010, 04:23 AM
How much storage do you need any what's your budget like? You should look at Sandisk and Cowon players. A Sandisk clip would be a good affordable player for the car, and the buttons would be easier to use without looking than the controls on Cowon players, which can be hard to use without looking at the screen.
Oh. I just noticed that the OP hasn't replied to this in 4 days, so, uh..never mind.

natex
July 23rd, 2010, 05:21 AM
Sansa Clip Plus

Pros:
8GB for 50 bucks; Can add SDHC 16+GB; FM receiver; Voice Recorder; Native Ogg, Flac, and MP3 playback; outstanding battery life; standard headphone jack; easy to use; weight of a feather; looks like a well made toy; WIFI enabled when connected to laptop; clips your necktie!

Cons:
Not fancy; no video playback (get a TV); too many people ask you about it.

Oh, and when the guy across from you on the subway asks "What is that?", just tilt your head a bit toward your Sansa (should be on your necktie), push the button, and whisper... "He's on to us."

bug67
July 23rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
I would have to say if Linux compatibility is what you're after, you can't really beat the iPod. Especially if you do this:

http://www.ipodlinux.org/wiki/Main_Page

I did it before just so I could play Doom on my iPod. :)

Dustin2128
July 23rd, 2010, 06:03 AM
the fuze is a great linux compatible portable media player, but for some reason it uses an odd file format for its video, and the video4fuze deb is buggy. The .exe runs perfectly in wine though , and I've managed to fix all of my problems with it.

dmizer
July 23rd, 2010, 07:11 AM
The Walkman is just as Linux unfriendly as the Zune. Plus Walkman's battery life is pitiful and the sound quality isn't very good.

I highly suggest iRiver's products: http://www.iriver.com/
There is a large OS firmware community for them as well -> http://www.rockbox.org/

Nick_Jinn
July 23rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
My creative zen got screwed up when I tried to delete songs but didnt delete them from the trash before I unplugged it. I had to delete the whole thing, but accidently deleted the firmware and now I cant seem to reinstall the firmware (Help would be appreciated).

But now I have a Sansa Fuze and I love it. Its simple, not as flashy, but I dont much care for Creatives customer service, rude outsourced employees and how they charge you for support past the first year. I also dont think they are as durable as they first appear. My Fuze however works great.

premjot
July 23rd, 2010, 07:16 AM
Try the latest Sony portable music player ranges, it has a good power backup and its sound quality is also good. The I-pods are not at all preferable.

3rdalbum
July 23rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
The Walkman is just as Linux unfriendly as the Zune. Plus Walkman's battery life is pitiful and the sound quality isn't very good.

Are you joking, trolling or just misguided?

You can't load any Zune with music or video on Linux. Every Walkman made in the last few years is Linux-compatible; in fact, compatible with every USB-enabled operating system, it all works like a USB Mass Storage device.

The Walkman's battery life is really good if you have the sound enhancement settings turned off; and it's average if you have those settings turned on. I think every Walkman owner has those settings turned on, because the Walkman sounds superb. Even the included earphones tend to be pretty good with Walkmans.

I can't comment on Sandisk and Cowan players, but Sony's are definitely Linux-compatible. You just can't create playlists or update the firmware from within Linux (not essential functions anyway).

Unfortunately a lot of people like to try and spread FUD about Sony CE's products because of something that Sony BMG did years ago.

ubunterooster
July 23rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
How much storage do you need any what's your budget like? You should look at Sandisk and Cowon players. A Sandisk clip would be a good affordable player for the car, and the buttons would be easier to use without looking than the controls on Cowon players, which can be hard to use without looking at the screen.
Oh. I just noticed that the OP hasn't replied to this in 4 days, so, uh..never mind.
Owned several Players from both of these; they are simple to use and have decent battery life. The Cowon d2+ has super-long life

rotwang888
July 23rd, 2010, 03:19 PM
I can't comment on Sandisk and Cowan players, but Sony's are definitely Linux-compatible. You just can't create playlists or update the firmware from within Linux (not essential functions anyway).

As far as I know none of the Walkmans play free formats out of the box— Cowons play flac and ogg and updating the firmware is done by dragging a file to the player's root directory.

dmizer
July 23rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Are you joking, trolling or just misguided?

You can't load any Zune with music or video on Linux. Every Walkman made in the last few years is Linux-compatible; in fact, compatible with every USB-enabled operating system, it all works like a USB Mass Storage device.

The Walkman's battery life is really good if you have the sound enhancement settings turned off; and it's average if you have those settings turned on. I think every Walkman owner has those settings turned on, because the Walkman sounds superb. Even the included earphones tend to be pretty good with Walkmans.

Unfortunately a lot of people like to try and spread FUD about Sony CE's products because of something that Sony BMG did years ago.

I would never troll.

I have had 3 Walkmans and returned all of them. They were the junkiest players I've ever had the misfortune to own. Looked gorgeous, but were basically worthless.

I don't have anything personal against Sony. In fact, I own a Sony Xperia X10 Android phone which works fine with Linux. The Walkmans I've owned most certainly have not.

Edit:
After some research, it appears as though some Walkmans do indeed have native Linux support. Though I stand corrected in this regard, I still wouldn't suggest getting one as I have not been impressed with the quality.

Schrute Farms
July 24th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I put my vote in for the Sansa players. My wife had an E series ("Lil' Monsta") and it worked great until she spilled water on it. Even after that, it still will work sometimes.
My whole family now have Fuzes. They are not flashy, but they work & sound great. Having a card slot is a major plus. You can put Rockbox on them too, which is really nice. No major problems mounting in Ubuntu.
I think they are a bargain for the price. I have an 8GB version with an 8GB SDHC card. Cost about $130 or so for everything.
I mostly listen in my car too, and having buttons is definitely a plus.
Video can be a pain (I had no probs in ******* though), but who wants to watch something on that tiny screen?

macem29
September 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I also use a Sandisk Fuze. Great player, plays Ogg, good sound quality, mounts without issue.

agreed, I have a fuze and an itouch, the fuze is a great little player if all you want is to
play back acquired music, the itouch is a wonderful device but so much more than
just an mp3 player, it is not a good device for driving though, gui is too busy...fuze is better for that