PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 will not boot

Samurai Penguin
July 18th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I tried to run Ubuntu 10.04 from the CD (did a boot from the DVD drive) and the screen is blank, then, very small at the bottom center of screen, has what looks like a data card with a " = " sign to the right side of the data card and on the other side of the equal sign is a circle with a human figure in it (looks like a kids drawing of leonardo da vinci's human who is outstretched inside a cirle).

Then, the DVD drive has a bit of action, then the hard drive, and then ... nothing. Both DVD and HDD go silent and I occasionally see the monitors NO SIGNAL warning (very briefly) over and over again - very erratic, and nothing boots.

One time, I did a Ctrl + Alt + Del before the monitor warning showed up and I saw the choice list (boot from CD, Install To HDD, ect). So I know it's there, but it doesn't show on the monitor nor does the CD boot.

I made the CD from the downloaded ISO and since I had no trouble with Ubuntu 9.10 I figure it can't be my computer, which runs fine on 9.10, Win XP & Vista.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Sincerely,

Samurai Penguin

- GIGABYTE GA MA790GP UD4H (I'm using the onboard HD 3300 graphics)
- AMD Athlon X 2 7850
- 3GB PC2-6400
- WD 150GB 7200rpm HDD
- Pioneer 20X DVD Burner

twola
July 18th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Your video card display is not supported. Please see: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/
(http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/)

Samurai Penguin
July 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM
My mobo is 790GX/750SB and released I think, within the past 1-2 years, and it's not supported? This is sad. I could see it it was an old piece of hardware but not something almost new. I thought Ubuntu was going to get more user friendly? I have no idea what GRUB line to enter for my hardware. Well, here's to hoping ...

twola
July 19th, 2010, 12:52 AM
The work around is to get you booted up in "basic display mode"
which the link shows how to do so. I agree with you in terms of Ubuntu not being there quite yet. Trust me, I have my own list of gripes.

Samurai Penguin
July 19th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I don't see it as agripe, I mean, Ubuntu is free after all. But I was hoping to finally break away from Microsoft with the release of 10.04 - just will have to wait a bit more no prob.