PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Problem with Multiple Monitors

Hydrothrax
July 18th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to use an external monitor with my laptop, but it doesn't work! The external monitor with do this weird flickering from side-to-side making everything almost illegible, and it's very annoying. When it does work, both screens are set on 1280 x 1024 [the laptop's screen is normally 1280 x 800]

I already tried playing around with arandr, but that didn't solve the problem. The external one still flickers, and the laptop's resolution is still incorrect.

annoyingly enough, Windows XP has absolutely no problem with this! [I run a Xubuntu 10.04/Windows XP SP3 dual-boot.] I just plugged it in, and could adjust both screens in Display Properties.

I would really prefer to use linux, but I really don't like being stuck on the little laptop screen. The external one is much nicer to use, and had the correct brightness/color settings [for drawing. Laptops are always too bright.]

Thank you for your time!

P.S. My graphics card is an ATI Raedon x1200. I already checked on google about this problem, and I see that some people have problems with ATI cards. As a note, I also don't use the fglrx driver.

EDIT: I got it to work in Xubuntu, but only once! I installed the Compiz Fusion Icon so I could easily switch between desktop managers. I turned Compiz off and used arandr to get both screens set up. But after restarting, I was back to square one. I tried the same thing again, but only ended up getting both screens to go crazy. Could someone help me with this please? I still haven't found any answers online :(

DOUBLE EDIT: Dual-screen mode works fine if I set it up after logging in...but booting with two monitors screws everything up.

tafnyc
December 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Greetings,
I was so pleased to see your post; yet, I not seeing you found a solution. Have you? I have Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop, and have a 19" flat screen monitor that did work fine, before this Ubuntu version. Would really appreciate if you have found a solution to the flickering second screen.
Regards,
tafnyc