PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Weird Video Card Coloring

jcckid
July 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
So my dad gave me a computer with a really bad built in video card. The computer is a Compaq Evo D51S. I wanted to install Ubuntu, but the video card couldn't run it. I got on ebay and bought a new one. I think its a nVidia GeForce4 MX. I installed the card and installed Ubuntu. However, the coloring is off. White looks yellowish, and you can't tell blue from black. I installed the recommended driver, but no luck. I even tried adjusting the color settings. It wouldn't work. Can anyone help my computer look normal?

PresenceofMind
July 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hello there,

GeForce 4MX is very, very old (64MB dedicated right?). I had a Geforce 4MX in my old PC and the video adapter crashed everytime it came across a webpage with a bit of flash in them. So I changed it to a 6200 GS AGP.

I think you might need to change your graphics adapter to something a bit more capable. Alternatively, you could try running any of the light-weight distros, such as Xubuntu, Lubuntu etc., which might run better.

Let me know what you think. :D

cascade9
July 19th, 2010, 11:55 AM
There were 64MB and 128MB models of the GF4MX, but the 128MB models are rare enough that it doesnt matter.

I was using a GF4MX440 a few weeks ago, but not on ubuntu (I used it testing PCLinuxOS and a few other distros). No issues with the colour here.....

IIRC a friend of mine had the same issue, ages ago, and I *think* he fixed it somehow. I'll try asking him.

jcckid
July 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
Well I don't think Ubuntu is the problem. I used to have Windows XP installed, and there were color issues there too. And i don't really want a new card because my computer is old and and my current video card barely even fit in it. I also have gotten used to it and don't mind too much, although I would like it fixed. However, I was kind of hoping for a driver or something instead of a new graphics card.

Oh and by the way the card is a GF4MX 440 64 MB.

cascade9
July 21st, 2010, 04:24 AM
If it was happening in WinXP as well, its a hardware problem.

I asked the guy I know who had discolouration problems, he said that it was heat releated- when you started the computer it would just be a bit off, but as things got hotter the colour became more and more blue/green. He fixed it by pullign the heatsink off, changing the thermal paste and then swapping a new fan onto the heatsink.

I dont know if that would fix your problem though jcckid.

robert shearer
July 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM
+1 for the heat sink repair.

The card works fine in Ubuntu.
I am using one here with 10.04.

When I first got the card it was from a machine that must have been in use in a fast-food kitchen as the fan was almost frozen solid with an evil brown goop.

Removed the fan and cleaned it out (used a degreasing bath) and it has been working for a couple of years since.

PresenceofMind
July 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
If it was happening in WinXP as well, its a hardware problem.

I asked the guy I know who had discolouration problems, he said that it was heat releated- when you started the computer it would just be a bit off, but as things got hotter the colour became more and more blue/green. He fixed it by pullign the heatsink off, changing the thermal paste and then swapping a new fan onto the heatsink.

I dont know if that would fix your problem though jcckid.

Hmmm....maybe I should have tried that as well. Oh well, life's good either way.....

cascade9
July 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hmmm....maybe I should have tried that as well. Oh well, life's good either way.....

I doubt it would have helped with crashing on pages with flash.

mathavan11
July 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
I have installed today on Dell machine and i cant do the Graphic effect. Is there anyone can suggest?

My ubuntu system crash once i have enable graphics..

robert shearer
July 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
White looks yellowish, and you can't tell blue from black.

I had this once with a faulty monitor cable.
Wiggling the cable at the plug end caused it to be, as above or purple or good.

You may have a connection problem at the card ? Have a wiggle (the card, not you personally you understand ;) ) and see if you notice any changes.

PresenceofMind
July 21st, 2010, 01:22 PM
I doubt it would have helped with crashing on pages with flash.

Yea, I suppose. Well, no point worrying now..... I've changed the whole thing.

jcckid
July 24th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I don't think it is a connection problem. I've taken the card out and put it back in several times, and I've used it with multiple monitors. It continues to look odd. I guess it could be a problem with the connection area on the card.

I also don't think it is a heat problem because the screen is yellow as soon as I turn the computer on and never gets worse. I could try looking at the fan, but I don't know much about computer hardware.

Thank you all and please let me know if you have any more ideas.