PDA

View Full Version : We should learn to assume the positive

forrestcupp
July 18th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I used to think of myself as a thread killer. Then it dawned on me that maybe instead of killing threads, I just have the last word and no one needs to say anything else. :)

We always assume the negative is what's true, but maybe we'd be a lot happier if we started assuming the positive until there is enough evidence of the negative.

JDShu
July 18th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Its not in our blood to do so :P

koenn
July 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM
half empty vs. half full

tjwoosta
July 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I think when were young we all assume positively. Assuming the negative is a learned trait thats a result of being mislead, manipulated, and/or lied to. Humanity is a devious untrustworthy race. I do agree though that its not always beneficial to assume the negative.

Penguin Guy
July 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to be a thread-killer.

murderslastcrow
July 18th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Ever since a rather telling and hectic era in my life, I've come to the conclusion that, except where it's truly useful in understanding the world and performing well, preconceptions should be avoided, positive or negative. Just see the world and interact with it without thinking about what it was, or what it will be, and you'll probably learn a lot.

Just like a magician may trick you, what is immediately observable to your senses may not be true. However, to be optimistic, and seek a more positive future, is definitely worth the time. It will increase your confidence and ability to reach that future much more than ambiguity or pessimism will. There is a time for skepticism, but hardly ever a time for pessimism.

clanky
July 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I used to think of myself as a thread killer. Then it dawned on me that maybe instead of killing threads, I just have the last word and no one needs to say anything else. :)

We always assume the negative is what's true, but maybe we'd be a lot happier if we started assuming the positive until there is enough evidence of the negative.

Yeah, I'm going to start assuming that my sound is working and that it is just a silent movie which I am watching.