PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I remove duplicated menu entries?

Nightstrike2009
July 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Hello Everybody,

I am trying out Xubuntu 10.04 but after I installed "Gnome-desktop" package to include gnome support I now have duplicated entries on my start menu. Does anyone know how to purge these duplicates? (a terminal based de-duplicating command would be very handy).

emoguitarist06
July 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Well I use Ubuntu and not Xubuntu and I don't know much of the terminal but I would, Describing as in Ubuntu, Right click the menu, i.e. applications, choose edit menu and choose the category, i.e. games, remove the duplicate entry.

hope this helps.

3Miro
July 18th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Well I use Ubuntu and not Xubuntu and I don't know much of the terminal but I would, Describing as in Ubuntu, Right click the menu, i.e. applications, choose edit menu and choose the category, i.e. games, remove the duplicate entry.

hope this helps.

You will have to do that under Gnome. I have been using XFCE for some time now and I haven't been able to find a good way to edit the menu (in fact I have done some searches and have found no real way to edit the menu under XFCE). I believe this is due to some non-standard things done by Ubuntu to create an environment independent menu. If you can edit this under Gnome, it will be fine, otherwise I don't know if there is a way to do it.

Nightstrike2009
July 19th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Cheers emoguitarist06,

I didnt think it would be that easy LOL, I was refering to Ubuntu's menu rather than xubuntu's, so thats what I wanted to know.

(It was my bad for not being specfic enough and no fault on your part).

Thanks for the help :-)