PDA

View Full Version : Bank Hacking

infestor
July 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM
i think there are very few publicly known cases about hacked banks (one that i know (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Levin): ).
i know it is ultra hard to hack a bank even with a group of hackers, but dont you think that several banks are being hacked every year and those incidents are hid from public?

i also think that it must be very hard to get away with the money, since it is traceable

an0dos
July 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
i think there are very few publicly known cases about hacked banks (one that i know (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Levin): ).
i know it is ultra hard to hack a bank even with a group of hackers, but dont you think that several banks are being hacked every year and those incidents are hid from public?

I think there's more money to be made phishing than trying to 'hack' banks.

anaconda
July 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM

i also think that it must be very hard to get away with the money, since it is traceable

I once tried to log to my bank account, and i accidentally ended to someone elses bank account.....

but that was when we used modems and text based programs for connecting to the bank.
I guess someones phone hang up, and I got her "line".....

limestone
July 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I think there's alot of bank cracking-coups every year, and they might even get avay with it, given the thought that you are "invisible" if you do it right and clean all the tracks after you. But these cracks never get publiced and do you know why?
I think you do....
No one will use a bank that constantly looses money to hackers..

undecim
July 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Why would any person spend their time hacking a bank itself, when banks have such low security surrounding people's identities. I'm sure there are thousands of black hat hackers that could hack a bank given the time and resources, but it's so much easier to just hack the people that use the bank.

RiceMonster
July 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
When bank accounts are compromised, which does happen, any good bank will catch it almost immediately. This usually happens at unmonitored ATM or Debit machines (such as gas pumps). There's been incidents or people placing devices in machines to steal account information in the past.

when banks have such low security surrounding people's identities.

Perhaps this is the case in America, but I can assure you this is not even remotely true in Canada.

chiliman
July 18th, 2010, 03:59 PM
i think most people just Rob the banks.
Or its those schemes that take the fractions of cents left over from interest payments and put into a separate account, thats happened several times i believe, and they also did it in office space.

infestor
July 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM
(probably this is possible in theory)
creating a sum that never existed (sort of inflation)...that could have been cool

fillintheblanks
July 19th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Virtual money and real money are not the same. Virtual money can be created out of thin air, real money can't. If I knew how to access my bank account I would "sudo nano" in a nice little sum ;)

Every once in a while of course because the small amounts they probably wouldn't even notice they only look for the really large numbers.

infestor
July 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Virtual money and real money are not the same. Virtual money can be created out of thin air, real money can't. If I knew how to access my bank account I would "sudo nano" in a nice little sum ;)

Every once in a while of course because the small amounts they probably wouldn't even notice they only look for the really large numbers.

(i dont wanna deviate the topic here but) it seems that us treasury might be creating money *out of thin air* (see the conspiracy in zeitgeist (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1166827/) documentary).

the mainframe guys might know the mechanics of the system in a bank, i.e what amount is *negligible*.

The Real Dave
July 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Why would any person spend their time hacking a bank itself, when banks have such low security surrounding people's identities. I'm sure there are thousands of black hat hackers that could hack a bank given the time and resources, but it's so much easier to just hack the people that use the bank.

In some cases yes. In many other, in Ireland at least, it's simply easier to rob the bank itself, due to high, but poorly implemented security measures.

Many common flaws are out of sheer laziness and poor management, such as cash safes being left closed, but unlocked, or with keys in the lock, or close. Banks are usually under-staffed, and so anything that can help speed things up slightly, such as not locking safes, helps, but hurts ;) There could be 1-2million available, depending on the time, and day.

Of course, the old trick in Ireland was to deposit a large sum into your local PostOffice, whose savings are insured by the Government. Later that week, rob the PostOffice, stealing your own money back, and then quite a bit more. So long as everything goes right, the Government will "refund" you your money back ;)