PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 frozen image startup

novi_vid
July 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hello all,

I've just installed Ubuntu 9.04 and the problem I have is that when I turn on my computer
Ubuntu starts ok, but shows frozen image when tries to start GUI. After that I can't do anything but to restart.
A few things to point:

My configuration:
AMD Sempron 2800+
ASUS K8N-E
ATI Radeon 9250

1. I've searched first, tried some tips, it is probably ATI card problem, but setting
'nomodeset' in grub boot options didn't help (with or without 'quiet' and 'splash' options)
2. I have Windows XP installed too. When I first start Windows, reboot computer, and then boot in Ubuntu - Ubuntu starts fine.

Any help??

davidmohammed
July 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM
can I suggest you download the 10.04 desktop edition and burn it to a CD. See if the "try without installing" option works better than in 9.04.

novi_vid
July 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
can I suggest you download the 10.04 desktop edition and burn it to a CD. See if the "try without installing" option works better than in 9.04.
I tried installing 10.04 but I run into known issue with CPU stucking during installation.
I had this problem in 8.04, but instead of frozen image I had black screen, and then
monitor turning off.
Does anyone have any solution/suggestion for this?
I am pretty sure it's ATI card problem, but I am not enough experienced to play with this..