PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Persistant, erroneous mount point in "Places"

Krank
July 18th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I've been living with this problem a while now - it's not life-threatening or whatever, but it's annoying and I'm at a complete loss as to why it's happening.

In Places, there are a bunch of stuff, right? First the Nautilus bookmarks, then whatever's in the /etc/fstab etc, right?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc308/krank23/Technical%20difficulties/Extramountpointunabletomountdownloa.jpg

A bit like that, right? Only, as you can see, something's not right. There are two entries for "Downloads". One is a perfectly working SMB-mounted network location. The other, well... the screenshot really says it all. And when I write "all", I mean everything I've been able to gather on the error. I really am at a complete loss. The end of my rope.

The extra Downloads thingie has no Eject button, only responds with an unhelpful "Unable to mount" message when I select it, and has neither rename nor remove in its context menu.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc308/krank23/Technical%20difficulties/Extramountpointcontextmenu.jpg

So what have I tried?

Well, logging in as another user (or using sudo to launch nautilus) shows it's not system-wide, as the extra entry doesn't appear for anyone but me.
Removing all references to "downloads" from the /etc/fstab file only removes the working entry, not the problematic one.
It's not a bookmark, so I can't really remove it there.
I've been looking through the gconf-editor, but can't seem to find anything there, either.
The problem stuck with me through the upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04.

So... Any ideas? Preferrably ideas not including removing my user and all its settings?

Krank
July 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Nevermind, I finally found the right key in the gconf-editor. Weird.

Krank
July 19th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Apparently not.

If I comment out the entry in /etc/fstab, then reboot, then uncomment and do a sudo mount -a...

...then it works. No extra item in places.

However, if I reboot the computer with the /etc/fstab entry uncommented, then the entry is there when I log in.

Problem *sigh* still unsolved, I guess.