PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Linux digital medial player - really nice!

cnbiz850
July 18th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Found this charm today - DMP581, branded as 10moons - for about $80 in China. Really nice. This is something I have been looking for for at least 5 years. I have a lot of digitized music in mostly FLAC format. I never had a satisfying way of playing them on my hifi speakers. The best way I tried was using a good external USB sound card to play out from a laptop. But that was not perfect - it has the low AC noise.

This device basically solves that. It connects to the LAN, takes shared samba folders as well as USB disks (even ones formated in EXT3), plays many formats like FLAC, VOB, DTS, AVI, MP4 (you name it), outputs in optical or analog sound as well as HDMI and composite video. Supports full 1080p.

The OS underneath is something like this:

/ # uname -a
Linux Venus 2.6.12.6-VENUS #3 Sat Apr 24 10:07:50 CST 2010 mips unknown

Interested can check their website: http://www.10moons.net/

neoargon
July 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM
The site is fully Chinese

cnbiz850
July 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
The site is fully Chinese

Sorry about that. The link is now correct for English.

Kdar
July 19th, 2010, 12:02 AM
There are seem to be several products in Chinese market which come shipped with Linux. Like few MIDs (usually having Linux and/or Android on them)

cnbiz850
July 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Some updates on the usage experience:

It is very good in playing flac files - much better than from the USB sound card I had. Getting music files from my samba shared folders has no problem. Video quality with a 1080p file is superb.

One problem I met is that I am not sure how to create playlist. They say that I need to install an internal disk (it comes with no disk). Sounds like it needs some space to store the playlist. Looks like the device operates as root (I can telnet to it). I wonder if there is a way to softlink my USB disk for it. Haven't figured out yet. Currently how I play music is to go into a directory and select a music file and it then plays it and also every files after the selected, but only in that directory. It also can to set to go a loopback.

Another issue is that I can't seem to use an equalizer as I could on the laptop with audacious2. The player on it seems called dvdplayer, which I don't know how to customize except from a popup menu using the remote, but that doesn't customize too much. But this is not a big problem now. The audio quality is actually very good already.

milkylinuxer
July 20th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Found this charm today - DMP581, branded as 10moons - for about $80 in China. Really nice. This is something I have been looking for for at least 5 years. I have a lot of digitized music in mostly FLAC format. I never had a satisfying way of playing them on my hifi speakers. The best way I tried was using a good external USB sound card to play out from a laptop. But that was not perfect - it has the low AC noise.

This device basically solves that. It connects to the LAN, takes shared samba folders as well as USB disks (even ones formated in EXT3), plays many formats like FLAC, VOB, DTS, AVI, MP4 (you name it), outputs in optical or analog sound as well as HDMI and composite video. Supports full 1080p.

The OS underneath is something like this:

Interested can check their website: http://www.10moons.net/

what are the advantages compared to mythtv or freevo, with a coded remote control irda ?

cnbiz850
July 20th, 2010, 07:25 AM
what are the advantages compared to mythtv or freevo, with a coded remote control irda ?

Well I guess the key is what you do with the hardware. Correct me if I am wrong. With both software, you will need to cook up your own boxy PC or with a laptop with a lot of dangled stuffs. In my case, I only hooked up my laptop with an external sound card, but the low noise can not be got rid of. Also, I didn't have an HDMI interface on the laptop.

Maybe you can advise on the advantages of using the two system you mentioned.