PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of avatars...

theraje
July 18th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I'm curious about an issue involving an avatar image. I would like to use an avatar I created, but there might be a bit of an issue. See, it's a cartoon version of me, smoking a cigarette (tobacco, of course!).

What are your thoughts/opinions? I don't know if this fits as a term violation, but I also don't want to bother using it if it will offend many people. I offend people a lot, but it's not like I go out of my way to do it! :)

chessnerd
July 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure if it goes against the Code of Conduct (I haven't read much of it), but I will give you a bit of general advice:

If you feel compelled to ask if something is going to be too offensive or might violate rules, it is probably best to err on the side of caution and to go another route.

From your description I, personally, would not find that offensive. This is just a kernel of wisdom from my limited 19 years of life experience. You may take from it what you will.

theraje
July 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Good point.

Well, I guess I could make myself a new avatar, sans smoking (i.e. me, out-of-character :P)... I have made a few over the years, so maybe it's time to test out my Wacom on my new Ubuntu system. :)

digitalcitizenx
July 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Who was speaking of avatars?

gutterslob
July 18th, 2010, 05:01 PM
My avatar has a cig in it's mouth, and I haven't gotten any stick from the mods/admins yet, so.....

chessnerd
July 18th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Who was speaking of avatars?

It was last night, there was this post: Important note to beginners (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1533172)

You came in 8 hours late :P

@theraje - I like the avatar. It looks cool and, more importantly, it's unique. If you choose the keep it, I'll easily be able to identify who you are.

Is your beard actually redder than your hair? That's how my high school comp-sci teacher's was...

kaldor
July 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM
It's just a cigarette ;)

forrestcupp
July 18th, 2010, 08:50 PM
There used to be a guy here that posted a lot who had an avatar that was a cartoon man with a cig in his mouth. He had that avatar for a long time.

wojox
July 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I've seen Rasta Tux's smoking jays on here.

Linye
July 18th, 2010, 09:24 PM
What would be the problem? Like if anyone would complain about second hand smoke.

Now, if it was a joint then I would say, "pass that ****" \\:D/

murderslastcrow
July 18th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Maybe you could be smoking one of those Blu electronic cigarettes? XD

Nah, I personally wouldn't find it offensive, but that brings us to a new question. If what you're showing us isn't explicitly offensive, or too much for the code of conduct, then showing it is making it more likely for someone else to understand or show it somewhere else in the future, and make it even less questionable.

So, do you want cigarettes to become more acceptable or less acceptable in forum images? That's really where you'd be going with this since it doesn't seem to be something that would get you banned, and I'm sure you'd receive a warning at least if it were inappropriate.

Of course, this doesn't mean you're encouraging smoking, and there's also the possibility of creating an avatar that includes a man smoking without a neutral perspective on smoking, but a negative one that would reduce its popularity (like a skull with a fedora smoking a cigarette).

But yeah, if you wanted to draw a picture of you smoking a cigarette, I wouldn't assume you want to encourage smoking, since that's just plain stupid. The very small opinion I'm giving is that it might make it more likely for someone else to post a similar picture on the forum, which would not inherently promote smoking, and if it did probably wouldn't have much of an impact.

digitalcitizenx
July 19th, 2010, 12:09 AM
It was last night, there was this post: Important note to beginners (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1533172)

You came in 8 hours late :P

Oh yeah - that thread - I remember that.

theraje
July 19th, 2010, 02:31 AM
So, do you want cigarettes to become more acceptable or less acceptable in forum images? That's really where you'd be going with this since it doesn't seem to be something that would get you banned, and I'm sure you'd receive a warning at least if it were inappropriate.

Of course, this doesn't mean you're encouraging smoking, and there's also the possibility of creating an avatar that includes a man smoking without a neutral perspective on smoking, but a negative one that would reduce its popularity (like a skull with a fedora smoking a cigarette).

But yeah, if you wanted to draw a picture of you smoking a cigarette, I wouldn't assume you want to encourage smoking, since that's just plain stupid. The very small opinion I'm giving is that it might make it more likely for someone else to post a similar picture on the forum, which would not inherently promote smoking, and if it did probably wouldn't have much of an impact.

Yeah, I was just asking because smoking that iconic cigarette has been a bit of a tradition - I've never (until now) drawn a pic of myself and used it as an avatar unless it had a cigarette in it.

Smoking was one of the biggest mistakes I made as far as picking up the habit... but given my occasionally self-destructive personality, I guess it fits. :P

As for whether making cigarette images more acceptable is a factor - it's not. Never crossed my mind, to be honest.

But, yes, my beard is considerably more red in tint than the hair on top of my head. Weird, eh? :P :)

SoFl W
July 19th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Ahhh, yes, you need to remember our current social view points. Cigarette smoking is EVIL, unhealthy, horrible, one of the most offensive things known to man. It should never be seen by ANYONE at any time because it is so offensive.
Pot smoking is totally different and fine. (/Sarcasm)

earthpigg
July 19th, 2010, 06:26 AM
But, yes, my beard is considerably more red in tint than the hair on top of my head. Weird, eh? :P :)

I'm 27 in a few weeks, and just discovering that my beard is the same. Never had facial hair before. dark brown hair, but beard appears red as soon as it grows past stubble. This discovery surprised me more than anyone else.

Maybe the hair on my head will turn purple if I let it grow past a few inches?

Maybe my skin will turn colors if I gain 50 lbs??!?

Rest of the Forum: Feel free to gasp in awe at the greatness of our beards. :p

theraje
July 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Bow before the redness of our beards! XD

I noticed my beard was red the first time I let it grow out... I was a wee chap then (was about 18 or 19). I had really long hair too, but I never noticed any purple in it. :P

And I bet if you lay around eating junk food all day while indoors and gain 50 lbs., you might noticed your skin turn a little more pasty. :)

murderslastcrow
July 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Pasty chubby men with colorful beards- you're well on your way to becoming a classical hacker!

endotherm
July 19th, 2010, 05:54 PM
smoke 'em if you got 'em.