PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual booting questions

pyrofreak99
July 18th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I dual booted vista with ubuntu because the family didnt know how to work ubuntu but beside the point.

Vista crashed and everytime i try to boot into it it just restarts and takes me back to the main boot menu.

So i was wondering if there is anyway just to delete the vista partion with gpartion without touching the ubuntu os

zeroseven0183
July 18th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Are Vista and Ubuntu on the same partition or are they separate?

If they're separate, you can use Gparted (install it from the Ubuntu Software Center) and format the partition. You will then have to modify some settings like in fstab so you can use the emptied partition.

TechBeastie
July 18th, 2010, 07:36 AM
As long as you didn't use the Wubi installer, your Windows and Ubuntu installations *should* be on separate partitions. Running gparted should give you a better sense of what's going on, however. Make sure that one colored block is labeled as having an NTFS filesystem, and another one has a mountpoint of "/"; if that's the case, you should be able to delete the block formatted as NTFS without harming your Ubuntu install.

Mark Phelps
July 18th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I dual booted vista with ubuntu because the family didnt know how to work ubuntu but beside the point.

Vista crashed and everytime i try to boot into it it just restarts and takes me back to the main boot menu.

Did you do a side-by-side installation in which you let the Ubuntu installer resize your Vista partition to make room for Ubuntu? If so, you most probably corrupted the Vista OS in the process, rendering it unbootable.

If Ubuntu really IS on its own separate partition, booting from an Ubuntu CD, running Partition Editor, will allow you to delete the Vista partition -- if that's what you really want do.

However, there are also ways to repair the Vista boot loader so you have real dual-boot working.