PDA

View Full Version : Got a new monitor

ratcheer
July 17th, 2010, 10:23 PM
My wife just got me a Samsung BX2440 24" LED 1080p monitor for my birthday. It is beautiful! :D

Lucid and Maverick (with the nVidia proprietary driver) picked up on the change with no intervention by me, setting it to the correct 1920 X 1080 resolution. I also downloaded a new wallpaper at that res from interfacelift.com

Tim

McRat
July 17th, 2010, 10:37 PM
My wife just got me a Samsung BX2440 24" LED 1080p monitor for my birthday. It is beautiful! :D

Lucid and Maverick (with the nVidia proprietary driver) picked up on the change with no intervention by me, setting it to the correct 1920 X 1080 resolution. I also downloaded a new wallpaper at that res from interfacelift.com

Tim

I just ordered a couple of those for work. IIRC, they are only 22 watts, so they will save a good amount of power over other large monitors.

TheNerdAL
July 17th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I want a picture because that is how geeky I am! :D

ratcheer
July 18th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I want a picture because that is how geeky I am! :D

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/office/monitors/business/LS24CBUAFY/ZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=gallery

Tim

Kdar
July 18th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I have the same model I think.

lancest
July 18th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Samsung is making alot of good LCD/LED monitors and TV's. The price is quite low where I live.

I've got a 23" Sam 1020p at 2 ms.

BTW Linux & Nvidia work great on DVI/HDMI for large monitors and TV's in my experience.

ratcheer
July 18th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Samsung is making alot of good LCD/LED monitors and TV's. The price is quite low where I live.

I've got a 23" Sam 1020p at 2 ms.

BTW Linux & Nvidia work great on DVI/HDMI for large monitors and TV's in my experience.

Yes, I have mine connected via DVI.

Tim

scouser73
July 18th, 2010, 11:10 PM
That's a really nice monitor you have there.

ratcheer
July 19th, 2010, 01:31 AM
That's a really nice monitor you have there.

Thank you.

Tim

Legendary_Bibo
July 19th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I would love to have such a great monitor, but I have a laptop, and I'd have to figure out how to make it stay on while it's closed, and then I'd have to have a keyboard connected to it, but it would be nice. I'm also not sure if my ATI HD Radeon 3200 256mb graphic card + Ubuntu would be supported. I haven't tried connecting my laptop to my TV, that would probably be the best way to try it. It worked with Vista so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

chriswyatt
July 19th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I would love to have such a great monitor, but I have a laptop, and I'd have to figure out how to make it stay on while it's closed, and then I'd have to have a keyboard connected to it, but it would be nice. I'm also not sure if my ATI HD Radeon 3200 256mb graphic card + Ubuntu would be supported. I haven't tried connecting my laptop to my TV, that would probably be the best way to try it. It worked with Vista so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Stay on while it's closed, that's an easy one, just go to power settings. Don't see why a monitor wouldn't work, that's a basic feature so it should work.

Legendary_Bibo
July 19th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Stay on while it's closed, that's an easy one, just go to power settings. Don't see why a monitor wouldn't work, that's a basic feature so it should work.
...*sigh* I've figured out how to write shell scripts on my own as well as python, and C++ programs, yet looking in the Power settings of all places crossed my mind. I am now looking into getting a big *** sexy monitor.

papangul
July 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
For whatever reason, Ubuntu sets 16 bit color depth as default for my samsung monitor. As a result "halos"(layers of discrete colors like layers of cloud) were displayed whenever there was a gradient in a photograph. I thought this was a problem of this particular lcd panel.(still people casually looking at my monitor wowed!)

Just recently I discovered where the real problem was, while I was at this page: http://aruljohn.com/details.php

Yesterday I fixed the problem, and now all is well.