PDA

View Full Version : Wine 1.2 has arrived.

prodigy_
July 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Couldn't find any thread about this so I've decided to start one.

The official announcement (http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.2) contains a long list of new features. The most important one is probably 64-bit support.

---

By the way, what Windows app you'd want to see working flawlessly in the next release, if any?

Windows Nerd
July 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Couldn't find any thread about this so I've decided to start one.

The official announcement (http://www.winehq.org/announce/1.2) contains a long list of new features. The most important one is probably 64-bit support.

---

By the way, what Windows app you'd want to see working flawlessly in the next release, if any?
Hopefully it fixes a glitch with Starcraft. It's still playable, but the menus when on battle.net are REALLY annoying (as anyone here who uses WINE to play it will know)

Dustin2128
July 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM
argh, beat me to it :(
I'm kinda hoping for gold support for modern games, seeing as I don't want to buy a playstation 3 without the option to install linux.

scheschi84
July 17th, 2010, 09:37 PM
All hail wine! The reason why i could ban windows for good.... ;)

McRat
July 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hopefully it fixes a glitch with Starcraft. It's still playable, but the menus when on battle.net are REALLY annoying (as anyone here who uses WINE to play it will know)

I play SC with the kids in LAN mode, and I'm surprised how well the "old version" of WINE works on the Linux machine. But I don't do the Battlenet stuff though.

Twitch6000
July 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM
They have yet to get the bug for starcraft fixed. That is sad...

Cedega has had it fixed for years =/.

Oh well I hardly play starcraft anymore. Its mapping community has died =[.

Legendary_Bibo
July 18th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Does anyone know how I would compile this and if it would over write my previous Wine without deleting the things I have installed in Wine?

Nevermind, durr didn't see the ppa.

Windows Nerd
July 18th, 2010, 12:58 AM

I know. I was sad too. Though Starcraft is almost 12 years old now, so you would expect it. I am suprised as it is that the game has as many players as it does.

Shining Arcanine
July 18th, 2010, 02:09 AM

Cedega is a fork of WINE. If they have it working, then it is their fault it is not working in WINE.

Twitch6000
July 18th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Cedega is a fork of WINE. If they have it working, then it is their fault it is not working in WINE.

Huh? that did not make sense.

jerenept
July 18th, 2010, 02:37 AM
as a fork, it is polite to contribute to your parent project, like Ubuntu does with Debian.

forrestcupp
July 18th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Do you remember when everyone thought Wine was going to run all Windows software flawlessly when it hit v1.0? :lol:

as a fork, it is polite to contribute to your parent project, like Ubuntu does with Debian.

They forked a long time ago, and the code base isn't even similar anymore. Besides, it was pretty obvious they weren't planning on being polite when they forked and created a commercial product.