PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning on skipping future releases?

sports fan Matt
July 17th, 2010, 07:47 PM
When the new release of Maverick comes out later this year, is there anyone like me who will skip it in favor of their current configuration?

TriBlox6432
July 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Yes. I only upgrade the LTS versions.

Naiki Muliaina
July 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Yes and no. All my work PC's stay LTS regardless.

My home PC has 6 hard drives, the 3 1TB drives will stay LTS, the 40 gig will stay testing grounds, the 360 gig is whatever random thought I have of the month (currently scientific), the other 360 gig will go Maverick.

jpmelos
July 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Well, the fact is that I always plan on skipping next release, because I like so much when I have my computer totally configured and is working the way I want it to.

But when the new release comes out, I can't help but install the new one... I get too excited! Then I get frustrated because I have to configure everything all over again. But a few days after that, when I have figured out everything that changed and configured the whole system, I'm happy again! xD

Bachstelze
July 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Already using it, duh.

prodigy_
July 17th, 2010, 08:39 PM
After my less than satisfying experience with Lucid I'm not sure that I'll move from Karmic anytime soon.

djinnkeeper
July 17th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I will use it as one BS excuse in a series of BS excuses to build yet another computer.

sings like Elton John: "..the Circle of Liiiife.."

gnomeuser
July 17th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I am already using Maverick, it's.. wonky. Depending on how well the current situation plays out I might advice others to at least try it out on a USB stick for a while before migrating. I am sure the little bumps will e ironed out though, the performances I am more worried about, samba has gone from an already low 1.7-2.0mb/s to less than 500kb/s on average to my NAS. I admit it is hindered by being over wireless and the NAS only having a 200Mhz ARM CPU, but it is capable of doing about 13MB/s. It also does this one NFS, till that fails.

Even clicking the network in nautilus fails to reveal the NAS on the Windows network. Samba really is unusable and not improving.

Linye
July 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I think I made a mistake moving from Karmic to Lucid; so moving forward to Maverick is the solution for me.

bug67
July 17th, 2010, 09:06 PM
After my less than satisfying experience with Lucid I'm not sure that I'll move from Karmic anytime soon.

This.

earthpigg
July 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM
@gnomeuser -

Isn't an alpha release of anything "all sorts of busted" more or less by definition?

Cavsfan
July 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Yes. I only upgrade the LTS versions.

Ditto for me.

sports fan Matt
July 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I'm going to try skipping for one reason. I have been testing since 7.10 Gutsy and it's time for this to be put into a work environment.

cespinal
July 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I think I made a mistake moving from Karmic to Lucid; so moving forward to Maverick is the solution for me.

seconded....Im in Lucid and everything works but Im encouraging everyone around me to stay with Karmic.

Duncan J Murray
July 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I think I made a mistake going from jaunty to karmic (grub 2 broke everything), but I had no problems with lucid (apart from installing it on friends computers, and having to disable the floppy drive to get it to not pause for 15 seconds on booting).

My plan is to not upgrade 10.04 until I have to, but somehow I know I won't be able to resist!

D

gnomeuser
July 17th, 2010, 10:09 PM
@gnomeuser -

Isn't an alpha release of anything "all sorts of busted" more or less by definition?

It was already 10 times slower than nfs in Lucid, then it became another 3 times slower. The integration bug exists in Lucid as well, I track both that and the performance issue on Launchpad against Lucid and Maverick.

Yes it can be busted but it has been consistently been busted this way and is getting only worse. I am not feeling all to good about this specific side of Maverick.. or Lucid.

lisati
July 17th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I have a CLI Dapper (6.06) on one machine, mainly because it's the only release I tried that would actually install on that machine - most of the other other releases I tried stalled or otherwise failed during the installation.

I tried updating my server from Jaunty (9.04) to Karmic and Lucid, but some of the changes introduced messed with some of my settings by wanting to remove stuff.... It might have been different if I hadn't installed a minimal GUI environment for when I'm feeling lazy and want a GUI for moving files around.

My laptop seems quite happy with Lucid at the moment, I might take a look a bit nearer the release date for Maverick.

JDShu
July 17th, 2010, 11:16 PM
My current environment works well for me. I started with Intrepid and upgraded immediately with each new release, but now that I'm on an LTS and am sick of fiddling around, I will stay with Lucid.

endotherm
July 17th, 2010, 11:20 PM
testing is an essential part of an effective deployment strategy. I'm dismayed at the low number of voters that take the responsibility to test before deploying. this is like the most basic principal of IT. of course you are gambling if you don't test...

Rifester
July 17th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I am sticking with LTS version, but I am interested in running the Live CD of Maverick. I am concerned about the direction things are going (new feature upon new feature without ensuring functionality) and depending on what happens may switch to Debian, Mint Debian, or Mepis.

oldos2er
July 17th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Well, the fact is that I always plan on skipping next release, because I like so much when I have my computer totally configured and is working the way I want it to.

But when the new release comes out, I can't help but install the new one... I get too excited! Then I get frustrated because I have to configure everything all over again. But a few days after that, when I have figured out everything that changed and configured the whole system, I'm happy again! xD

This is me too, except I don't experience much frustration; I am a tinkerer, and Ubuntu indulges me. Having /home on a separate partition helps too.