PDA

View Full Version : Computer Magazines Coming To An End?

GreenDance
July 17th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Well another computer magazine is about to end, PC Zone, (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255814) Personal Computer World ended last year, (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jun/08/pcw-magazine-closing) the year before last PCMag (Print) ended, (http://paidcontent.org/article/419-ziff-davis-to-close-print-pcmag-focus-on-online-still-looking-for-optio/) and today when I went into my local news agents I notice 2 of the magazines on the shelf had an earlier issue included in a pack with the latest one, so i'm guessing the magazine companies are trying to move old stock, could this be the sign that computer magazines are coming to an end because of the internet?

donkyhotay
July 17th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I don't read computer mags online but when I do it's always online. I never buy a computer mag unless I'm stuck somewhere with no internet, without a book, and need something to read for the next XX hours.

Frogs Hair
July 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Many magazines and news papers have or will soon disappear , and people without web access will become uninformed.

Naiki Muliaina
July 17th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I feel a lot of magazines are well overpriced for the content nowdays. I buy the occasional Linux Format in the UK (about £7 I think). If they dropped it to £3 ish and removed the DVD I would subscribe. But when I am buying something like New Scientist which I read all of and costs about £3 and comes out weekly, I feel £7 for a magazine I read half of is a bit of a waste.

Oh and that Ubuntu magazine... £8... For something flimsy and a really naff read... No thanks, ill have Full Circle ty very much!

Theres a thing... Full circle! Its already made, print it off and sell it about the £2-3 mark as a simple paper mag. Make a few pennys extra for a good online publication.

Brunellus
July 17th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Many magazines and news papers have or will soon disappear , and people without web access will become uninformed.
What, less than they are already?

There's always broadcast media--radio and television aren't going away any time soon. Just because they're not receiving the same thing doesn't mean that they're not receiving anything at all.

Bachstelze
July 17th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Good thing, most computer magazines are a terrible read (poorly written, inaccurate information...). Not like most tech websites are any better, but at least it's not a mockery of journalism.

Frogs Hair
July 17th, 2010, 09:44 PM
What, less than they are already?

There's always broadcast media--radio and television aren't going away any time soon. Just because they're not receiving the same thing doesn't mean that they're not receiving anything at all.

I agree , I was thinking of the small town publications that are now gone in my state . The local news is now found via computer . The larger papers have cut back to one issue a day with less content . As for computer and tech news I use the web.

earthpigg
July 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
i am confident that the market will continue to be able to support a few printed magazines, at least for the next decade or two.

instead of 30 computer mags to choose from, we will have 3 or 4. i'm ok with that.

Jose Catre-Vandis
July 17th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I subscribe to Computer Shopper and Linux Format, the former being useful for new kit coming onto the market (and rubbish at help/support and pointing people at OSS software) though I do like Zygote, and the latter to get a broader view on Linux. Both are running out of ideas, but what would I read when whiling away the hours in the smallest room in the house? ;)

At least it is there in front of me, I haven't got to go looking for it.

McRat
July 17th, 2010, 11:48 PM
It's not just Computer mags. It's a tough business to be in right now.

They are ad driven, and the Internet is proving to be a better advertising medium. There are less dollars in the pool, regardless if readership is still surviving.

They will all migrate to the internet. This is very good news indeed if you are a web developer.

Groucho Marxist
July 18th, 2010, 02:56 AM
It's not just Computer mags. It's a tough business to be in right now.

They are ad driven, and the Internet is proving to be a better advertising medium. There are less dollars in the pool, regardless if readership is still surviving.

They will all migrate to the internet. This is very good news indeed if you are a web developer.

The only computing magazine I read is Linux Journal.

What really irritates me is that computing/technology magazines such as Wired use such a shotgun method of advertising (i.e. attempting to target too many audiences) that the ads are mostly irrelevant. Furthermore, more than half of the magazine is comprised of advertising.

GreenDance
July 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
For around a year, every fortnight I went to my local newsagent to buy webuser magazine, I think I've spent just under £200 on it, but then they started to increase the price, so I've packed it in, but also the content seemed to be dull, loads of adverts, on some pages the text would be larger so they would need to fit less on a page, I remember they talked about broadband tv in several issue's, basically they copied and pasted the text from a previous issue, so I finally give it up.

Bapun007
July 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
In india only one Linux magazine is available that is Linux for you and a other best computer magazine is digit . I cant think their end is near . Many people subscribe those magazine . May be in other countries . . .

mobilediesel
July 18th, 2010, 06:55 PM
more than half of the magazine is comprised of advertising.

That is one of the main reasons I don't buy magazines anymore. I get Popular Mechanics and Wired in the mail but only because I got them free. If more than about 10% percent of the mag is advertising the cover price should be 0.

McRat
July 18th, 2010, 07:16 PM
This might surprise people, but one of the major reasons people buy magazines is to see the ads.

If you get Ninja Weapons Quarterly, and it didn't have ads in it, you'd drop the subscription.

samalex
July 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I honestly think Computer News magazines are dead... I subscribe to SD Times and Information Week, and though they come weekly both are outdated by the time they make it to my desk. I do like the articles in each magazine that aren't related to the latest news, but for the most part I could find that online as well.

What I do enjoy are magazines that cover tech culture, which Wired is about the only one that comes to mind. I subscribe to this and enjoy every issue, but it doesn't cover news per say, but the culture around technology. I also love science magazines because it seems news in that area is slower paced, so by the time I read National Geographic, Astronomy, Popular Science, etc the news is still current.

But yes, computer magazines who's bread and butter is the latest news in tech is dead. I think most people get that from podcasts or websites now'days.

Sam

Johnsie
July 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
It's just like HG Wells, printed media is dying... Soon it will be all on computer, the electricity will run out and people will be even more stupid than they are today :D

Groucho Marxist
July 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
That is one of the main reasons I don't buy magazines anymore. I get Popular Mechanics and Wired in the mail but only because I got them free. If more than about 10% percent of the mag is advertising the cover price should be 0.

I hear you on both magazines. I got my mom a subscription to Popular Mechanics and Wired for myself due to an on-going promotion. I agree on the prices; it's like showing local advertising in a movie theater. It's subsidizing a service to earn even more income with less benefit to the consumer.