PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing Applications from Message Menu, etc?

thymox
July 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

Ubuntu 10.04.
Upgraded 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04 -> 9.10 -> 10.04

If I'm perfectly honest, I really don't like the "messaging menu". I don't like the way it's a single point that lumps all sorts of messages together. From a socialite's perspective, I'm sure it's awesome... from a more business orientated perspective, it's cumbersom - the icon is green, does that mean I have an important email, a new post has popped up on my RSS feed (via Liferea), or is it just Bob saying "Hi" in Empathy... I won't know until I click it!

I would rather have separate notification icons for the individual applications, just like it used to be.

Now, I know how to remove application from the Messaging Menu... or at least I thought I did.

I just tried removing 'gwibber' from /usr/share/indicators/messages/applications

Poof! It's gone... until I fire up Gwibber, and then it's back.

I have stopped using Empathy (I have used Pidgin/GAIM for a lot longer and I'm stuck in my ways :D), so that's gone. I have removed the PPA version of Liferea that had Message Menu integration, so that's gone. I have removed Evolution as I use (and have done so for ~10 years) ClawsMail, so that's gone. The last thing I want to get rid of is Gwibber. I like Gwibber, I just don't want it in the Messaging Menu.

Cheers.
Grant. :)

thymox
July 19th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Anyone?