PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] how to further reduce the thickness of main menu

martintang
July 17th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I want to reduce the thickness of a panel but it is restricted by the main menu with "places" and "system". Is there any thing I can do to reduce the thickness of main menu and hence the thickness of panel?

bobpress
July 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Under System, Preferences, Appearance, Fonts you could reduce the font size for the Application fonts. This would reduce the minimum height in pixels used by the menu. Then you can adjust the Menu Properties size in pixels. It would effect the other Applications also.

martintang
July 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks. It looks like the panel size is still restricted to larger than or equal to 24px even though the font sizes are 6.

bobpress
July 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks. It looks like the panel size is still restricted to larger than or equal to 24px even though the font sizes are 6.

I was able to reduce the Application Font to 8 and then the Menu to 20 height. You can also autohide the Menu in Menu Properties.

martintang
July 18th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Were you using the menu only with an icon shown in the panel? My panel is able to reduce the height if the menu is not the 3-labeled-button menu

bobpress
July 19th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Were you using the menu only with an icon shown in the panel? My panel is able to reduce the height if the menu is not the 3-labeled-button menu

I am using the top panel in gnome (I removed the bottom panel), so I am using the top panel with the word labels for Applications Places and System.

mojo2012
November 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
So, is there now any solution available to reduce the size of the top panel to less than 24 pixels if the gnome main menu (applications, places, system) is visible?

If I use the gnome menu (just the icon with a menu that contains the contents of the above mentioned menus), everything works fine.

But as soon as I add the gnome main menu, the panel size increases to 24 pixels and can't be reduced anymore.

I even tried to reduze the start-here icon but it didn't work. In fact the icon got upscaled to 24 pixels but the panel could height not be resized ...