PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrade/Clean Install of lucid goes well, then won't boot on restart

Toriam
July 17th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I have been trying to install/upgrade xubuntu from 9.10 to 10.04 on two laptops, an Acer aspire one (installed sucessfully) and an older Gateway M210. I have tried both metholds with xubuntu and ubuntu. It goes just fine, untill I reboot. It starts to boot, with the new black and white logo looking a little pixelated. Then goes to a black screen and hangs. Right after the logo comes on it has a line right under the logo talking about pressing S or M to continue. Both actions make no difference. Another post talks about changing the resolution of the monitor, but its different than my situation and about another graphics card. And suggestions?

oldfred
July 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Do you get a grub menu, or by holding down the shift key until the menu appears do you get a menu?

Try recovery mode.

Try editing the boot line and replace quiet splash with nomodeset.

Toriam
July 17th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I saw no menu. Next time I try and install I'll give these things a try. Thanks! I'l let you know what happens. I'll probably get on installing tonight.

Toriam
July 19th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I've tried all you suggested, oldfred. Nothing was any different. I tried the other f6 options at the menu area of the install cd. BTW, I always use the alt install CD on my machines.I guess this laptop just really likes 9.10? I'm wanting the new 10.04 features though :( .

oldfred
July 19th, 2010, 11:35 PM
The alt install CD is not a liveCD so I am not sure of how you get to modify to boot parameters. It used to be a choice or maybe still an Fx key to select boot settings.

colinpat
July 20th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Same probblem after an upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 on an Acer TravelMate 660
Boots up to a black screen - no grub menu just a big black screen.
Anyone have any ideas on what the problems are or how to fix them??